066 porting pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
the witness marks make it easy to see where the piston skirt rides.

exhaust/hogged out lower transfers
GEDC1877.jpg

intake. upper transfers blended and widened towards intake
GEDC1875.jpg

lower transfer, upper transfer, intake
GEDC1874.jpg

exhaust, semi polished but not really
GEDC1878.jpg

intake
GEDC1879.jpg

i might do some more smoothing and blending in all the ports and little more chamfering but this is pretty much finished.

im glad i only orderd rings becaue this cylinder has quiteabit of wear. I've got a set of cast rings. cylinderbase gasket and clutch hub on the way for this saw. itl be open till then. Wednesday or Thursday itl go back together.

looks like i have job for it tomorrow so the 372 will be dragn the 32" bar again. ohwell

just thought id share.

Evan

thanks.

upper transfers are kiln me, i just cant get in theyre like id like to.
the bulk of this was done with my 1/4 die grider and a couple difrent carbide burs then dremel with a small carbide bur to smooth and finish them up

For the upper transfers i'll get 2-3 cut off wheels for a dremel tool and wear them down some, makes it a little easier to get in there and get better angles. On mine i square up the edges a little more on the intakes, but the workmanship looks great. Good luck.

i keep hearing about the cut off wheels but i havent tried it. i might do that because i can still widen the trasfers more and id like to get them both shaped the same.

i was also thinkn about wideing the lower trasfers out to the witness to make like a big funneel from the bottom to the top end. though im not sure ill gain anything by doing that.

i think im going to hog the transfers ports in the piston out as much as possible so that maybe the piston will help cram more charge through the opend up transfers. i kinda think if i leave the piston transfers along ill kinda hve a bottle kneck right there

I use the little green wheels that are about 3/4 inch round and 3/32 thick for that. Those ports look real clean Evan.

thanks

thats what i used the little green wheels. its not quite long enough that i can get wheel up inside the transfer and keep it square. the entire dremel ends up in the jug and it kits the griding wheel at alittle bit of an angle.

i used to have flex shaft but it broke the first time i used it

widend just alittle bit more with the cutting wheels.
GEDC1881.jpg

still not sure wich method is the both. both seem to work about the same for me

grrrrr pics all blurry

im glad i only orderd rings becaue this cylinder has quiteabit of wear. I've got a set of cast rings. cylinderbase gasket and clutch hub on the way for this saw.
Didn't you mentioned on another thread that compression was only 135psi or so ? Is the plan to give the new rings a try, maybe set minimum squish ? Are you implying that rather than a new piston you'd save your money for a BB kit, if the old cylinder doesn't work out ?

usualy when i do this i do a new piston the same time i port.

the first tear down i had planned on running gasketless so i tossed it backtogether without the rings to see what squish was gasketless. i couldnt even measure squish because the its a negative number, it wouldnt even turn over. but with the gasket before tear down i had just shy of 150lbs.

what i ended up doing was makein a card board gasket. this put my squish about 033 and about 135psi. i didnt measure squish with the factory gasket but im guesn it was 020 or so and that would make the compression about 150 like it was.

but yeah if i had the money id normaly do a meteor piston but money kinda tight so im doing just rings the rings in it are fine but i myswell since im in it again.

i dont know that a new piston would help much exspecialy since this piston and its rings are doin fine even with the wear.

the bigbore kit.
i dont know what id do. 066 cylinders are pretty common on ebay so i might just get another 066 cylinder thats in good shape insteaad of the bigbore. the wife would notice the 130 bucks orderd from baileys to. its much easier to hide 30 40 even 80 bucks

Last edited:
thanks

thats what i used the little green wheels. its not quite long enough that i can get wheel up inside the transfer and keep it square. the entire dremel ends up in the jug and it kits the griding wheel at alittle bit of an angle.

i used to have flex shaft but it broke the first time i used it

want another flex shaft?

before
GEDC1882-1.jpg

after. dremel is hot so were taking a brake, might hog out alittle more
GEDC1884.jpg

inside. blended from the inside out
GEDC1885.jpg

these are finished pics, im gona quit mesn with it now , just going to make sure i have all my edges buttoned up in the cylinder and am done till parts get here.

im hopn i didnt turn this into a race saw, it needs to work. guess ill have to put it to work and find out

GEDC1886.jpg

GEDC1887.jpg

Last edited:
are you meaning at the cylinder wall or out in the intake kneck.

its pretty well a straight shot through the intake. i ported it from the cylinder wall and made my way out through the intake kneck.

i just used this on my 026 upper transfers. its petite, so it takes a while. and it took a special bit. had to machine one to fit. but made getting to the uppers doable.
anglegrinder.jpg

bur2.jpg

nice. i sure hobe my dentits doesnt have one of those bits the next time im in

Back