066 project saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, getting Stihl parts through the mail is difficult, unless you find someone selling used or NOS.

As much as I love Stihl saws, the fact that you have to go through the dealer for everything is by far the biggest turn off to me. Not only do you get bent over on the pricing, but I find it to be a MAJOR PITA to make (and take) the time to actually go down there.

Stihl parts are by far the easiest for me to get. The dealer's about five miles away and has my parts in 1-2 days, usually 1 if I order early enough. Husky parts I have to order online and wait a week or more to get them. Stihl IPLs are FAR superiour too.

Stihl parts are by far the easiest for me to get. The dealer's about five miles away and has my parts in 1-2 days, usually 1 if I order early enough. Husky parts I have to order online and wait a week or more to get them. Stihl IPLs are FAR superiour too.

Yeah, my dealer is only about 10 miles from me, but I still find it to be a PITA to look up the part, talk with the dealer for 5 minutes while ordering the part, wait 2-14 days for the part to come in, then spend another 25+ minutes of my time picking the part up, plus the tax and cost of almost a gallon of gas to get the damn thing...

If I need a Dolmar or Husky part, I look it up online, click order, and it shows up at my doorstep within a week (faster if I want or need expedited shipping) for a few dollars in shipping. I can't imagine this being any easier, and certainly less hassle than having to go to a dealer IMO. The tax on buying local and cost of driving to the dealer (in gas), basically offsets the cost of shipping... not to mention the rediculuous pricing from my local dealers.

Like I said, I really like Stihl products, I just hate their dealer only policies. Ironically, before the Internet became so powerful, it was Stihl's dealer network that made them so convenient. Now with the Internet and mail order being so easy and popular, the fact that you actually have no choice but to go to their dealers makes them less attractive IMO.

Yeah, my dealer is only about 10 miles from me, but I still find it to be a PITA to look up the part, talk with the dealer for 5 minutes while ordering the part, wait 2-14 days for the part to come in, then spend another 25+ minutes of my time picking the part up, plus the tax and cost of almost a gallon of gas to get the damn thing...

If I need a Dolmar or Husky part, I look it up online, click order, and it shows up at my doorstep within a week (faster if I want or need expedited shipping) for a few dollars in shipping. I can't imagine this being any easier, and certainly less hassle than having to go to a dealer IMO. The tax on buying local and cost of driving to the dealer (in gas), basically offsets the cost of shipping... not to mention the rediculuous pricing from my local dealers.

Like I said, I really like Stihl products, I just hate their dealer only policies. Ironically, before the Internet became so powerful, it was Stihl's dealer network that made them so convenient. Now with the Internet and mail order being so easy and popular, the fact that you actually have no choice but to go to their dealers makes them less attractive IMO.

I completely agree wet1-I never had so much trouble finding such a trivial,small part for my husqvarna saws....

While I find it very respectable of stihl to sell their saws through dealers and not sell out like husky did - i.e. lowe's...

but I still think parts should be more acessable to rural/distant customers-it is a real turnoff.

I'm in the same boat, I live in the boonies and it is cheaper to order parts online, when I can find them.

Of course, you should search ebay for overpriced used parts.

Bailey's has a few Stihl parts. Even if they don't list an item, they have been known to scrounge up parts upon request.

Yeah if you can't find a good helpful dealer, Baileys will order OEM stihl parts for you over the phone, but you have to call them and place the order on the phone.

I might just do that for my next order to see how it goes. So far I've been really happy with my aftermarket stuff from them. The aftermarket quality has some QC issues, but that goes for any of the aftermarket stuff on fleebay too and at least with Bailey's they will back you up if something goes wrong. Heck they even offered to help me when I had an aftermarket 046BB ring fail that I bought on ebay. The one local dealer I've used in the past has taken a long time (2-3 weeks) to place some orders and flat refused to order a few things. When I order something from Bailey's, it's usually at my door in only a few days.

There's alot of other good ones out there too I'm told, I just haven't tried any others than ebay, my stihl dealer, and Bailey's.

So, this is it? Buy a stihl saw and you're married to your local dealer....

I looked at Bailey's catalog and they had some outboard clutches and some bars-are you guys saying they indeed have more,you just have to beg and cajole for them?

I wound up finding another dealer -75 miles away- whom acted like they were doing me a favor charging 46$ w/tax for the chain tensioner assembly (4 little pieces)......this will be my last purchase from stihl.

P.S. -the exact part assembly for my huskies is 11$ w/tax and I can order them anytime,anywhere.

I looked at Bailey's catalog and they had some outboard clutches and some bars-are you guys saying they indeed have more,you just have to beg and cajole for them?

They carry some Stihl parts, but don't seem to list the tensioner.

Bailey's will definitely get you parts for saws that they sell, even if it is not listed.

I can't speak for Grande Dog regarding special requests for Stihl parts. Obviously, he has to avoid violating Stihl's policies.

I agree that Stihl's policy against selling parts online is a great disservice to guys like us who live a long way from the dealer.

I have ordered new Stihl parts by phone from a couple of different dealers. Some will mail the parts to you, so saves driving time and fuel.

I've also ordered Dolmar parts by phone and had them mailed to me.

If a dealer thinks that a customer must appear in person at his shop to order and purchase parts, he must not need the business.

I'll survive, I'm within a mile of two stihl dealers, one of which is also a Husky dealer ... I have to go further to get wood to cut up.

I'll survive, I'm within a mile of two stihl dealers, one of which is also a Husky dealer ... I have to go further to get wood to cut up.

Great-maybe I should move to the center of town,right next door to the dealer-where there's no wood to cut....

Here's an idea:maveric stihl dealer willing to advertise and sell parts on the internet.....boldly joining the 21st century.

So, this is it? Buy a stihl saw and you're married to your local dealer....

I wound up finding another dealer -75 miles away- whom acted like they were doing me a favor charging 46$ w/tax for the chain tensioner assembly (4 little pieces)......this will be my last purchase from stihl.

P.S. -the exact part assembly for my huskies is 11$ w/tax and I can order them anytime,anywhere.

Ouch, that may be a bad dealer. I've bought two different good used ones on ebay now for somethinglike $6 plush $2 shipping. It's not really a part that wears out like other stuff, so used works for me. Anyhow, unfortunately some dealers just don't like to sell parts or repair as much as they do sell you new saws.

The lack of online sales irritates me to, but I've found a good local dealer and I do have other options as well over the phone.

OEM parts are not cheap, but they are good quality parts. Some stuff you can go aftermarket without issue, others you're taking a risk.

Latest posts

Back