066 with 9T rim sprocket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddymelon

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
another slightly newbie question. I'm playing around with a few mods on my recently aquired used 066 (muffler mods etc), I've a 25" bar, 3/8th 8T sprocket. Has anyone ran 9T or even 10T or similar configuration?
What would the advantages/disadvantages be with such a setup regarding chain speed/pitch/gauge etc?

Cheers,
Russell

I think 8T 3/8" is more than enough for a muffler modded 066. My 064 can run an 8T, but I like the torque from a 7T better.

Cheers

Thanks fellas, just the info I was looking for. I'm considering putting a 56mm BB kit in, just for fun really so I might try a 9T just to experiment!

You can probably tell I don't make a living from chainsaws, just an interesting hobby!

Cheers,

Russell. :chainsaw:

are you joking its like you are saying with this so called BB kit you will have more power than stock :msp_confused: just for fun well fun will be far from what you would be thinking when you run it ,if you are lucky you may only be down a little on stock power..BB kits are cheap and nasty.. but yeah how do they get anything like stock power and spend half the bucks yep add more cc sad but true...but then i dont sell them so can tell it like it is?:bang: just saying cheap top end's no matter the cc is just that it dont mean more power. but true it does if you sell them! ...if i did how much power do you need yep this BB kit will out do that and more!!:msp_sneaky:..:bang:

Crikey, I didn't mean to upset anyone, sorry about that!..and no I'm not joking, I'm definitely amateur and it's a bit of a hobby, I'm not in it for a living! :cheers:

If it makes you happy, you can run a 9T . 325" sprocket just fine! :)

If you plan to run a 9T 3/8", use 13", .050 and a very sharp chain!

If your stock top end makes good compression then stick with it. My ported 660 pulls an 8-pin well with a 25" bar. It boils down to where you are and where you want to go. If you are cutting softwood and will be happy with a 20" bar then you might be OK. Lots of pro loggers in this area run 660s with 20" bars, but they are cutting wood that is sometimes stupid hard, and on ground so steep you can barely keep from sliding down the hill. You would need to mod the heel of the bar to use a 72d chain. The good thing about it is you can always go back to an 8 or 7 pin.

a 70cc saw will pull an 8t with a 25 inch b&c, why wouldnt a 90cc saw pull the 9t? i mean a 660 will pull a 42 inch bar .404.

a 70cc saw will pull an 8t with a 25 inch b&c, why wouldnt a 90cc saw pull the 9t? i mean a 660 will pull a 42 inch bar .404.

In small wood yes, but bury that 25" bar in hardwood and see what happens! With skip chain and soft wood I imagine it could work.

My 046 likes the 8T with a 16" bar and a sharp chain, but I would switch to a 7T if I had to use a 25" bar on it.

The 064 can handle both 7T and 8T and 25", but when I bring it out instead of the 046, it is to bury it in something big and hard, so I usually keep a 7T on it. That way I have one fast RPM saw and one slow torque saw, for different purposes.

Last edited:
lol i like the Crikey! haha but nah mate i was not upset just saying is all....best thing you can do is run what ever you like dont matter at all if your talking big pin short bar, some of the race dudes will say give up! but so! its only trying new things and how the hell did they work it out? yep doing the same thing!..anyway an 088 or 880 in aussie hard wood dies in the ass with 25in bar and 8pin full RS .404 chain they will pull it just but after a few tanks the saw will die a sad death lol....;)

sounds like a POS 880, should pull that no problem.

In small wood yes, but bury that 25" bar in hardwood and see what happens! With skip chain and soft wood I imagine it could work.

My 046 likes the 8T with a 16" bar and a sharp chain, but I would switch to a 7T if I had to use a 25" bar on it.

The 064 can handle both 7T and 8T and 25", but when I bring it out instead of the 046, it is to bury it in something big and hard, so I usually keep a 7T on it. That way I have one fast RPM saw and one slow torque saw, for different purposes.

around here most people would never put anything that short on a 90cc saw. few firewood cutters run 25 on 460s

alder and fir- mostly what we have around here.

I've never cut either, but from what I know they are on the softer side of the scale. My experience is with eastern hardwoods. I know my 044 would be miserable with an 8p-25" combo cutting the wood in this area.

I've never cut either, but from what I know they are on the softer side of the scale. My experience is with eastern hardwoods. I know my 044 would be miserable with an 8p-25" combo cutting the wood in this area.

Yeah, that does make sense. we have big wood here, but most of it is pretty soft. a lot of people running 32" bars with 7t on 044's

Latest posts

Back