066 with 9T rim sprocket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you put a 9T sprocket on a 066? Sure. It all depends on how you sharpen your chain. But IMO, I would rather have a more aggressive chain with a 7T and 25'' bar than a 9T, high raker, odd driver count, less aggressive chain. There are other ways to control cutting speed than just sprocket size.

I really don't see that saw pulling a 9 pin with a 25 but I could be wrong. If you don't cut the heel of your bar your just asking for trouble running anything larger than a 8 pin.

Yeah you will have to so some grinding on your bar to run a 9 pin. I have a 9 pin and it takes a lot of power to pull on my ported 660. I ran it today 16'' bar and square ground and the 8 tooth was making the same times. 9pin really works the saw and if youarent really light handed it will bog and your all done. buy a 9 and try it for yourself thats what i did. too many differing opinions. for racing and fun you might be able to make a 9 work but for actual cutting go 8.

Hi all,
another slightly newbie question. I'm playing around with a few mods on my recently aquired used 066 (muffler mods etc), I've a 25" bar, 3/8th 8T sprocket. Has anyone ran 9T or even 10T or similar configuration?
What would the advantages/disadvantages be with such a setup regarding chain speed/pitch/gauge etc?

Cheers,
Russell

I doubt it is a good idea with a 25" bar, more like with a 16 or 18" one.

A larger sprocket will generally result in a higher initial chain speed, but will also eat into the torque that is needed to keep the rpm (that provide the chain speed) up.
To try the options yourself, with the bar and wood in question, really is the only way to know for sure - there are no simple answers!

It takes a lot more than muffler mods or woods porting to make an 066 happy pulling 9t or 10t.

Piped.jpg

The problem is that if you add a few more links then the chain will be too long for 7 and 8 pin sprockets. a little grinding and you can run 7 8 and 9 pins same chain. not a huge deal either way but grinding is free and takes 5 mins

Or 61/250ths. But 3/8ths is NOT .366 or .367.....

Both the regular and the lo-pro/Picco are, no doubt about that. The 3/8" designation is approximate, and when it is "translated" into .375" it just gets wrong and misleading. :censored:

Last edited:
Back