084 or modded 372xpw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm looking into my X-mas present. I was thinking a new gun, but a new saw sure does sound good too.

If you guys had to choose what would you take? A good condition 084 with a 36" bar or a brand new cylinder ported 372xpw? Both saws have been on my wish list for some time. Price will be about the same on both give or take a few dollars.

Both won't see much work as my 395xp takes care of those duties.

i run a standard 372xpw and its an awesome saw, I also have a muffler modded 084 which whilst being an animal of a saw, is only worth using on really big timber, the 372 with a 24" bar is a great saw, uses less fuel, gets used more regularly and is ideal for pretty much everything unless you live in an area where most tress are >36" i would go for the 372

Modded makes a mean beast out of a 084. Did you get a chance to run mine? If not, you should have asked. I don't mind at all. It really is just a toy though. A 372 would be far more practical. It just depends on what you want.

Modded makes a mean beast out of a 084. Did you get a chance to run mine? If not, you should have asked. I don't mind at all. It really is just a toy though. A 372 would be far more practical. It just depends on what you want.

What does this word mean? I've seen it before on other forums, but not very often on AS.

ported and piped. Yeah. I know what those words mean.

Hey, Brad you wouldn't know where I could find 2 projects saws do you? Looking for 90cc's or bigger running for not.

ported and piped. Yeah. I know what those words mean.

Hey, Brad you wouldn't know where I could find 2 projects saws do you? Looking for 90cc's or bigger running for not.

I don't have a line on anything right now. Sorry.

084s are definately less expensive than the 088 and 880. They're lighter as well. Mine has a .030 popup and relatively aggressive port timing. The exhaust and transfers were pretty high from the factory. It turns 14K and doesn't seem to mind it one bit. I built mine from the ground up, starting with NOS cases and new P&C.

Last edited:
I just talked to the guy about the 084. He want's 700 and he's firm. He says it's perfect. Is it too much still?

The 372xpw will be close to 850. I can't see me spending that much for only 75cc's.

May go look at the 084 this weekend.

I did find a 385xp for 400. What do you guys think about this? I would have to rejug it with a 390xp for sure.

If I get the 385xp I can also get a 288xp with the extra cash left over.

I just talked to the guy about the 084. He want's 700 and he's firm. He says it's perfect. Is it too much still?

The 372xpw will be close to 850. I can't see me spending that much for only 75cc's.

May go look at the 084 this weekend.

I did find a 385xp for 400. What do you guys think about this? I would have to rejug it with a 390xp for sure.

If I get the 385xp I can also get a 288xp with the extra cash left over.

Perfect? If it's even close, it's worth more than that. Go for it!

There are TONS of 362/365/371/372 series saws around. You could build yourself one of them fairly cheap if you wanted. If the 084 is decent, I'd go with it. They don't come up too often in decent shape.

Latest posts

Back