084 vs ms660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to seller neither have run for a couple of years, but no further information at this time.
Don't think they are stolen.
40" bar on 084.
30" bar on ms 660.

If the 084 has a good cylinder and piston then I would get it. Cylinder and pistons for the 084 are 300+ with no aftermarket avaliable for the cylinder.

I have both chainsaws and they are very nice but you don't want either one unless you have a need for it.

In big wood the 084 is just a beautiful natural. Otherwise it is heavy.

The 660 has a little more variation in its flexibility using different length bars.

If I'm not in big wood, I don't use either one and even if in the big wood, I only use them on the big part.

If you have other Stihls grab the 660. You can interchange bars, the 084 is a large mount. If the 084 is a west coast model with big air and oiler you'd have a pretty good chance of at least a 150% profit on resale.

thanks for the input guys, i'm waiting to hear back from the seller on both saws. Every once and a while we get into some 6' + diameter euc from blow downs but mostly 20" - Euc and 30" - pine, but a little voice inside me says get a "big" saw..... of course that's the same voice that has me have 2 gun safes, darn voice.

Yes get the big saw, for $300 its a steal if its running. Both are.

Again, if they work or just need a lil tlc take both, try em, maybe put the 40" bar on the 66, see what you like and sell the other one at a profit.

I've Repaired/Rebuilt Them Both And...

...both have their place. Loggers who drop lots of trees will take the MS660 first. It can pull a 36" bar and not wear you out while trying to drop a big, awkward tree. Much more control and easier too handle, regardless of how strong that you are.

The 084 is a great big, heavy bucking saw that loves to eat wood like a big dog loves to eat food. Few saws can outbuck it because it has the horsepower and over 30 more CCs than a 660. I love taking the 084 to GTGs and watching it kick the butts of 066s, MS660s, and even stock MS880s because it breathes easier. In short, it's a log bucking beast.

However, if I had to earn my living by dropping lots of trees AND bucking big logs, I would buy the MS660. The price you found for these saws is unbelievably low, even if neither runs. 'Nuff said.

I have two 084's and a bunch of 066's. I never use the 084's unless the wood is over 36". My 084's are really not very fast regardless of wood size, but they will pull a 36"+ bar without a problem. I usually end up using my ported 66 with a 36" bar up to the last minute, before hauling out an 084. They are just too big, heavy, and slow for normal size wood around here.

This was a 40" pecan that I cut up recently and only used an 084 for the very last cut at the base. The trees don't get much bigger than this around here.

Tony

Pecan40_zps068dc77a.jpg

The 084s and such like various other 100CC + saws would seem to be a bit rarer every day, so if you want a big saw, get one now. You should have an easier time getting a 660 down the road.

Big saws are cool, you may not need one all the time, but when you do, there is no replacement for displacement.

Saws are Gone

Thanks for all the input, both are gone / posting deleted. I'll keep lurking the classified section - sure to one there.

Latest posts

Back