Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Switching over to 3/8 .050 would be alot easier on your saw and cut alot faster. That's just my thoughts. I tried .062 once and it was not only harder on the saw,but me too!

I agree. I mostly only mill softwoods. But I may have to wear out this bar first or use it for bucking instead.

Yep. I'll check in on the positive side. That way you can try the actual milling right away and as you gain experience you'll know exactly how you want to build
your own mill!! Just check out that 088 to make sure there is no hidden agenda
with the Stihl. You'll eventually have several of everything if you like it anyway!!

Sorry for a slight thread hijack, but how would you compare the 075,066 ad 084 as far as milling speed on various sized hardwood?

$1500 is not a bad price for the saw and mill set up. the .404 thing is not such a bad thing as that saw has the power to pull. All it will take to swith is to buy a new chain, the bar groove is .63 and is used for several sizes of chain.

I'm sorry for tacking so long to give you an answer BlueRider.
I can not tell you the different speeds of the saw because I use them deffernetly. I will use the 066 to slab the 40" and smaller logs done to 28 or 30"" so they will go thru my mill (pro cut).I have the 075 on the alaskan for the big logs. I do most of my milling with the 084. Anyone of the three will do a great job of milling. I have always been going to time some cuts to see how they compared to each other on the same log, but I never seem to get the time to do it.

Finally up and running

Its funny how long it takes to get things done sometimes. The older I get the longer it seems to take to get anything done.

Anyway I finally got the 088 and mill fired up after some mods to the milling carriage, log bunks and dogs and laying out the tracks.

Here are some pics of some Doug Fir 4x12's I milled this past weekend.

With this one log I ended up with 2 heart free 4x12's, 1 - 2x12 to cut out the heart and a bunch of 1by and 2by stock from around the 12x12 beam.

Now hopefully the snow stays away for a while so I can finish the pile of Doug Fir logs.

Don't know how I missed all this thread but awesome you got a good deal and looks like it can cut some good lumber! Nice setup enjoy it.

Its funny how long it takes to get things done sometimes. The older I get the longer it seems to take to get anything done.

Anyway I finally got the 088 and mill fired up after some mods to the milling carriage, log bunks and dogs and laying out the tracks.

With this one log I ended up with 2 heart free 4x12's, 1 - 2x12 to cut out the heart and a bunch of 1by and 2by stock from around the 12x12 beam.

Now hopefully the snow stays away for a while so I can finish the pile of Doug Fir logs.

Outstanding DRB! How lucky is that! You go in looking for steel and come of with a deal. Nice going. :cheers:

Very nice!!! I would love to see a close up of how the bar mounts to the allthread.:cheers:

Great set-up you have there.Looks like it saves alot of time not having to put on and take off a guide rail. I'm inspired buy your mill and will have to build me one now for doing yard logs.Great job on the lumber too,it looks nice.:clap: Mark

Outstanding DRB! How lucky is that! You go in looking for steel and come of with a deal. Nice going. :cheers:

Or, he went in looking for steel and came away with a steal. Sorry, couldn't resist that. Looks like a nice setup, and you already have it cutting nice and smooth from the looks of it. Now you can build a portable Alaskan-type mill so you can mill anywhere. By the way, where are you in BC that you have 3 feet of snow already? We've only had a few inches fall a couple of times so far and it never stayed for more than a day or two. Ground's bare still and it's been very warm so far for this time of year.

Beautiful beautiful doug fir log, some very nice pieces of lumber there, enjoyed seeing that. We don't get much of that here in SE PA.

Nice work man. I'd like to see closeups of that mill, if ya ever get the chance to snap a few pics.

Very nice!!! I would love to see a close up of how the bar mounts to the allthread.:cheers:

I'll post some more pics when I get a chance. Batteries were dead in camera today.

+1....nice mill and lumber. Would make some nice chuncky stair treads.

That's the plan. I am cutting some 4x12x16' beams for stair stringers. Might have them cut by tomorrow.

Or, he went in looking for steel and came away with a steal. Sorry, couldn't resist that. Looks like a nice setup, and you already have it cutting nice and smooth from the looks of it. Now you can build a portable Alaskan-type mill so you can mill anywhere. By the way, where are you in BC that you have 3 feet of snow already? We've only had a few inches fall a couple of times so far and it never stayed for more than a day or two. Ground's bare still and it's been very warm so far for this time of year.

We only have a skiff of snow now. But last Feb. when I made that post we had 3 feet.

parrisw and dustytools hers a couple more pics of the mill.

The guy that I got the mill from had the all thread rod right through the bar. This made for a nice solid connection to the all thread rod but it made it a pain to remove the saw from the carriage. I built the adapter plates so I could remove the saw by removing the six 1/4" nuts and lifting the saw out. This is not how I would have built it but this works out ok for now. On the engine side I built a couple of plates that replace the side cover. The first larger plate is long enough so that it bolts to the adapter plate to the all thread. The second plate sandwiches the bar to the engine. This set up stiffens up the engine to bar connection and also allows the sawdust to fly straight back away from the mill.

Hope this helps if you guys plan to build one.

A couple pics of the chain cover replacement plates. Sorry about the bad pics but it was so dark I could not see what I was taking a picture of. I am amazed they even turned out.

Latest posts

Back