Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Today I went to my local steel supplier to price out steel for a pro-cut type CSM that I was planning on building. I told him what I was building. Turns out he had a chainsaw mill that he had acquired and has no use for it and it comes with a Stihl 088 Magnum.:) The mill carriage is set up with chain and sprockets for depth of cut & aux. oiler. I did not get to see the bed rail set up as it was buried under three feet of snow but it is supposed to about 30 feet long. The good part is that the 088 looks like it still has the original bar and the paint is not even worn off the bar.

Sorry no pics for now.

He is asking 1500 for the set up.

Do you guys think this is a good deal?

I think the steel alone for the mill I plan on building will be over a grand. He joked that he would price the steel real high so his mill looks good.

Ryan

I bought an 880, alaskan mill, 48" bar and ripping chain new for around 2100. I would try and talk him down a little. The second the saw leaves the store and hits wood its value drops considerably.

Today I went to my local steel supplier to price out steel for a pro-cut type CSM that I was planning on building. I told him what I was building. Turns out he had a chainsaw mill that he had acquired and has no use for it and it comes with a Stihl 088 Magnum.:) The mill carriage is set up with chain and sprockets for depth of cut & aux. oiler. I did not get to see the bed rail set up as it was buried under three feet of snow but it is supposed to about 30 feet long. The good part is that the 088 looks like it still has the original bar and the paint is not even worn off the bar.

Sorry no pics for now.

I think the steel alone for the mill I plan on building will be over a grand. He joked that he would price the steel real high so his mill looks good.

Ryan
I like it the bloke's a comedian , I cant give you any real advice , Stihl's are dear over here , I paid $2000au for my ms660 over here $1788us , original price was $2400au before dealing . Cheer's MM

You'd miss out on the fun of building your mill, your way, but on the other hand, you can start milling right away, and have a second saw to work with. You can have a stationary mill for at home, and a portable one for the road, sounds like a good setup to me.

Sorry no pics for now.

Ryan

I paid over $1500 for the steel,axle,tires,and the lights and wiring for my pro-cut type mill when I built it. With the winches, electric for loading and turning the logs and manual for pulling the saw thru the log, I have over $2000 in the mill.I started with one little saw and now have a 026pro,075AV,066Mag,and 084 Mag. I have no idea how much I have in the saws,30 some different chains and bars,Maxx grinder and Nick the grinder and all the other related support things that go with it.The only thing I would do different would be to start 20 years sooner. It is hard work but when you take a 28 inch wide by 10 foot Oak or walnut board off of the mill you don't remember about the work.
Jim

You'd miss out on the fun of building your mill, your way, but on the other hand, you can start milling right away, and have a second saw to work with. You can have a stationary mill for at home, and a portable one for the road, sounds like a good setup to me.

I agree with you I was looking forward to building a mill my way. But this deal may be to good to pass up? It comes with a 088. Oh ya i said that already.

Sounds good .Obviously check the saw out first.It's been on a mill !!!:greenchainsaw:
You know ,take the muff off and check the barrel.Look for oil leaks.
God forbid - am a Stihl man too............... will wash my mouth out later.

THEN NEGOTIATE.

:cheers:

Sounds like a good deal. I paid $1200 for 20' of Woodbug & a 066 that had about 50hrs on it. Like parrisw said, the saw is worht close to that price. But heck, offer him $1300 & wave those puurty canadian hundreds under his nose:hmm3grin2orange:
RD

I bought the 088 and mill set up. Saw appears to have very little use. Mill looks like it should work out OK, not quite as I would have built it but OK for now. Only down side I could come up with is it has 404 bar & chain.

Pics to follow when I get around to it.

I paid over $1500 for the steel,axle,tires,and the lights and wiring for my pro-cut type mill when I built it. With the winches, electric for loading and turning the logs and manual for pulling the saw thru the log, I have over $2000 in the mill.I started with one little saw and now have a 026pro,075AV,066Mag,and 084 Mag. I have no idea how much I have in the saws,30 some different chains and bars,Maxx grinder and Nick the grinder and all the other related support things that go with it.The only thing I would do different would be to start 20 years sooner. It is hard work but when you take a 28 inch wide by 10 foot Oak or walnut board off of the mill you don't remember about the work.
Jim

Sorry for a slight thread hijack, but how would you compare the 075,066 ad 084 as far as milling speed on various sized hardwood?

$1500 is not a bad price for the saw and mill set up. the .404 thing is not such a bad thing as that saw has the power to pull. All it will take to swith is to buy a new chain, the bar groove is .63 and is used for several sizes of chain.

You got a bargain and you can always modify at least as easily as you can build from scratch.

G O O D FOR Y O U!!

I bought the 088 and mill set up. Saw appears to have very little use. Mill looks like it should work out OK, not quite as I would have built it but OK for now. Only down side I could come up with is it has 404 bar & chain.

Pics to follow when I get around to it.

Changing it over to a thinner kerf setup is easy, and you can sell your unwanted parts in the 'Trading Post'.

404 from the little I've messed with it, seems to be more durable and last a little longer between sharpenings. Short of a bandmill, there is going to be so much lost in the kerf. The difference between 3/8 and 404 isn't that great to me to justify swapping everything over. I might be interested in that bar should you decide to sell it, depending on how long it is.

Sounds like a good deal. I paid $1200 for 20' of Woodbug & a 066 that had about 50hrs on it. Like parrisw said, the saw is worht close to that price. But heck, offer him $1300 & wave those puurty canadian hundreds under his nose:hmm3grin2orange:
RD

I did and it worked.

Looked over the saw this morning for a bit it looks like it has very little use. Looks like the original bar & sprockets to me with very little wear. Man it sure takes a pull to turn the thing over with out the decompression valve.

I am going to have to wait till the snow melts before I will be able to set it up. Still have 3 feet of snow and it did not come above freezing today.:cry:

Cool, keep us posted. At least the snow melts in BC before it does on Manitoba where my wife is from, so you should be milling soon.
RD

Switching over to 3/8 .050 would be alot easier on your saw and cut alot faster. That's just my thoughts. I tried .062 once and it was not only harder on the saw,but me too!

Latest posts

Back