090 stihl, is it still viable ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Dose any one use 090 stihls any more? I wave always wanted one. I have an 088 now for the really big trees. I do alot of take downs in old towns, farmyards, and residential areas, where the trees are 5to 8 feet in diameter. Now my 088 works great but I just want the opinion from some of the guys that have used both. Are the 090's better, or they to old?

The 090 is a great saw, it is considered vintage, but you can still get parts from your dealer.. I have never used an 088 so I can't compare the two.

Dose any one use 090 stihls any more? I wave always wanted one. I have an 088 now for the really big trees. I do alot of take downs in old towns, farmyards, and residential areas, where the trees are 5to 8 feet in diameter. Now my 088 works great but I just want the opinion from some of the guys that have used both. Are the 090's better, or they to old?

post this question on the chainsaw forum and stand back. :D

your 880 (088) is enough, you can tweak it if you want more power, IMHO a 090 is not that much better, but damm, we ALL want one..............

I have an 090 (for about 30 years) and an 880 and I will pull out the 90 every time before the 880 on big wood. Much more torque IMO.
attachment.php

Now some of you boys just may not be man enough for the legendary 90.:)

My stihl dealer is a prety good guy he gave me a very late model 090 av in a box that he sold to a guy that thought he wanted a big saw . He took it out and dropped a tree on it the first day. The only reason that it is salvageable is because baileys sells so many cheep replacement parts. The only part I cant get from them is the av handle. The stihl dealers up here in canada are dropping all the 090 parts. Do the US stihl dealers still cary these parts? My dealer just got back from a training session at stihl and they told him that they just scrapped three new 090 crank cases, they are trying to save the world 3 saws at a time. I have friends in belize and I know that they have brand new 090's at the dealer there in orange walk town. What would happen if I tried to bring one home with me the next time I went there?

I just bought a new side cover on the opp side of the pict last summer thru my dealer.

Don't have a clue about shipping a saw to US. I would assume it is ok with out fluid in it and checked thru baggage.

I'll take an 090 over an 880 everytime, but not because it's more powerful, it is, it's simply because it has a manual oiler capable of lubing a 6 foot Cannon bar.

WTF's the use of having a saw capable of pulling long bars if you can't deliver enough bar oil to spin them?

My favorite big Stihl is the 084, any day of the week, feels like half the weight of an 090 too, though less powerful than the king of raw stock HP.

880's are okay with shorter 3-4 foot bars with the oiler adjustment wide open.

jomoco

Prior to the 090 I owned a couple of Super Whiz 88's gear drives we ran 6 footers on but, again, no AV. Manual oiler tho.

My 90AV pushes my 6 foot bar with no prob. Manual assist is a necessity unless you have someone constantly spilling oil on the tip if it is exposed.

I have one and it is an "ANIMAL"!! I am 155lbs and it takes all I got to muscle that thing around. She is old and built like a tank but it starts just fine everytime. Still gets brought out to the job. Might have to bring a second truck to the job just to transport that saw! :greenchainsaw:

I have an 090 (for about 30 years) and an 880 and I will pull out the 90 every time before the 880 on big wood. Much more torque IMO.
attachment.php

Now some of you boys just may not be man enough for the legendary 90.:)

Looks like I'm not the only one to put those black hinged chain guards over bars too wide for them. Wish they made those a little wider.

Looks like I'm not the only one to put those black hinged chain guards over bars too wide for them. Wish they made those a little wider.

Yeah, at least they keep the bottom and tip of the bar/chain from getting banged up and the top is not so apt to take a hit.

I have one and it is an "ANIMAL"!! I am 155lbs and it takes all I got to muscle that thing around. She is old and built like a tank but it starts just fine everytime. Still gets brought out to the job. Might have to bring a second truck to the job just to transport that saw! :greenchainsaw:

Welcome to AS fellow 90 owner. You need a little rep....and you got it.

theres a brand spanking new 090 in a local stihl shop, what a monster, itd be the sort of saw youd break out once in a blue moon here in new zealand.

I found one of these in the pile of dinosaurs I inherited from the old man. Ive been told by a former employee that it ran and cut like a mofo but shocked the hell outta ya. Been wondering if its worth puttin back together. Needs a handle. Make me an offer. Also have an 08s or 0s8?

Just spotted whats advertised as being a Stihl 090 on Ebay uk site.
Its only just over at a hundred pounds at the moment and I don't have a hundred pounds spare so I thought I might as well mention it on here in case anyone's interested.
Says its missing its muffler.
11 bids and £102 (which is slightly strange cos I thought it was more money last night when I saw it so possibly someone retracted a bid?) which to me looks cheap.

I have no connection whatsoever with the seller and don't know anything more than what's contained in the advert.
I wouldn't normally post Ebay stuff up but it seems like everyone on here is looking for an 090 so I though it might help?

HERE it is

Latest posts

Back