090 vs 088 stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I know this seems like a strange question. The stihl 090 is not a currant model corect. Then the largest saw that stihl makes is an 088 ,yes. If I were going to get a 090 on ebay how old , or how young would it be . Would it have any safety features and this is the hardest question could you punch out an 088 to make it a 090 . So you would have the features of a currant 088 and have the power of a 090. I will be cutting cottonwood trees this year and would like a new ground saw, just this week end I saw a 54inch bar for a 090 on ebay. That would take a heck of a saw two pull that much chain . And as long as I am asking imposible questions how much could I expect to pay. thanks dave1

Last edited:
I may be slightly off here but I think the 088 makes the same power as an 090. For a working saw the 088 makes more sense, parts are plentiful. What, 121 cc and 8.5hp not enough?

How many cottonwoods, and how big? I thought the state tree of Nodak was a utility pole...LOL, just kidding!

I wouldn't shell out $1100 and probably more just to cut down a few trees if the job isn't big enough to justify that expensive saw. Husky 3120's are out there for less, and will also do the job without breaking a sweat. Heck, an experienced feller could get a 48" cottonwood down fairly quickly with an 046-class saw and 28" bar.

On the other hand, if you're set on a 090 with 4-5' bar, go for it, man. That saw is kinda like the hemi of the chainsaw world....there aren't that many out there any more!

I've dropped many trees in the 48'' range with a 24'' bar granted I prefer a longer one if I know that I have to drop on that large but...

088 & Oh Nine Oh

Dave,
Steve here...
I am not a pro, but I enjoy big saws....

The 088 kicks your butt trying to fell trees with it 'cause its such a big beast. I use my 066 for that now, but I really enjoy bucking and ripping big logs with the 088 and Oh nine Oh. Cutting up big rounds and ripping them small enough to get on the log splitter is where the 090 shines, it has big torque, and is tougher to get it to chainstall.
Steve

Oh!! Your question...Buy an Oh nine Oh and an 088

I have felled a 40" Cottonwood with a 20" bar on my 53cc 55 and a 48" Cottonwood with a 28" on my 670.

Cottonwood is so soft and easy to cut you could put a 36" bar on an 066 and have no problems.

It had better be a LOT of trees to justify the cost

Toneman, my ms460 is stock except for the fact that I opened up the muffler (which I have done on all my saws) and I run a 24'' on it with full comp and an 7 pin sprocket in hard hardwood (oak, hickory, maple) in poplar and pine I'll run an 8 pin if thats all I'm cutting just for a little more speed. On my 066G (G meaning that Dennis Grafferd tuned it up) I normally run a 24'' with full comp but I will run a 28'' or a 36'' on it with the eight pin sprocket and it pulls a 36'' with full skip with ease burried in oak:cool: My husky 372 has been power ported by none other than Dan Henry (Dozer Dan) and is a very strong saw. I highly recomend his work. It wears a 20'' although it would pull a 24'' in oak without any problems. I'll soon be getting a 32'' for the husky for cutting this big white pine that we have up here. The really big stuff has a habit of growing on REALLY steep hills and is easier to cut from on side if possible.

run the 090 not only does it put hair in places you thought you never had, it has the most badassery affect

Running a non AV 090 is get unfun pretty fast unless you use AV gloves and the saw is best suited to above 42" bars and really mine really shows it's stuff with the 60" bar. My 880 when stock was better with a 36-42 inch bars. I really didn't like enjoy of 11 and 1/2 foot of chain whipping around at 12.500 rpm on the 880 and it dogged down very easy when buried where the 090 just pulled harder. The 090's 8000 rpm but high torque, was much more appropriate for the longer bars. All that speed doesn't cut any better when it doesn't have the torque to pull it. In a 40" hard cherry stump I ran my stock 880 with a 36" bar and new Stihl skip chain against my 090 with a 42" bar and skip chain. The 090 kicked the 880's butt, all that speed seemed to do is burnish the chain, where the 090's slow torque allowed it time to get a good bite in the wood. Too me smaller bars and speed go together, but on the really big ones that should be running 42+ inch bars, I want slow torque. Now for weight the 090 weighs like 7-8 lbs more than the 880, but most of the time your not going far from the truck with it and once in the wood, the weight is held by the wood. Both saws are completely different.

Latest posts

Back