1 or 2 saws??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrx-snowdrift

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a chainsaw as I am sick of borrowing one or using a hand saw. Right now I live in town and wouldn't need a large or expensive saw. However, In the next 2-4 years I will be moving back to my family farm and will most likely be living in a house with a wood stove so I will be cutting a fair amount of firewood (mostly Ash).

So my question is, am I better off buying 2 saws, 1 smaller 38-42cc with a 14-16" bar for triming/limbing and 1 larger 50-60cc with a 18-20" bar for cutting large diameter trees or just buying the one larger saw that can do everything.

I ask because Northern Tool has Factory Reconditioned Husky 435s on sale for $180 plus I have a $20 off coupon. From what I've read the 435s are a great little saw, especially for $160 but I'm wonderig if I should just save my $ and just buy something along the lines of a Husky 455 or Stihl MS290.

Skip the 029/MS290... go MS261 if you want Stihl or find a Husky 346. Then read how to tune the saw or heck.. find someone close here on AS and they will help you learn. Tuning the carb and chain sharpening are more important than the saw you buy. Good saw, bad tune or chain is worthless. Cheap saw with good tune and sharp chain, not too bad!

What you need is a 50 cc now and when you get a chance go get a loan and buy a 1000cc at least,.. fire breathing ported & polished balanced and blue printed full race need 5 pigmy's just to lug it,... chainsaw. Because god knows you will never and I mean never be able to cut enough fire wood with a 50 cc saw no freaking way. Good luck my friend you will need it round here ha ha.

Skip the northern tool husky.theres a fellow in the tradin post with a 40 cc redmax gz4000 for $275 shipped.you might consider it as a first saw.its no slouch.its made in japan and a pro model.redmax is owned by the husqvarna group

One saw? What happens when it gets pinched and you have to cut it out? Trust me it happens. Strong 50ish cc then onward and upwards from there.

i agree with the 50cc saw deal. a pro 50cc saw is as light or lighter than smaller homeowner saws with lots more power. can't beat a lightweight, good handling saw for limbing and 50cc will cut a lot of firewood on it's own.

I'm back to a two-saw plan.

I have a MS-261 C-M and a MS-441 C-M. Between the two, I'm quite sure that I can handle whatever might come my way, as far as cutting wood goes.

Anything bigger than what I'm comfortable with, I'll call a friend who's more experienced and better equipped.

Yeah, when I started all this nonsense a couple years ago, I promised myself only one saw. That's all you need right? Nope. Here I am 4 saws later and wondering why I didn't start sooner.

What do you do for a living? It helps decide what saw you will like.
I help develop and support corn research equipment (combines, planters, silage choppers, etc.) for a major seed company. I have a fair amount of small engine experience just not chainsaws.

Latest posts

Back