1 ton bucket/chip truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you work for the people that build these trucks or put booms on them????
I know what I saw and it was a 3500 GMC, this was before the 4500 ever came out, the one asplundh have may be 4500HD but that one was not,I know all about weight and GVWR, I have a commercial drivers license and had to understand all this to get them but if a company wishes to special order a 3500 beefed up to handle the extra weight then GMC would have built it back then and they work very well for what they are meant to do onboard chipper and all........

I have a one ton truck that has heavy duty springs on it and the chassi beefed up and the GVWR is 11500 and the truck weighs 7600 empty with chip box so that's a 3900# load rating that's 1900 over what the truck list as but I suppose you're going to tell me it's really a ford 550 huh?

I understand what you are saying but you never mention the boom. That is the deal here....a one ton with a chipbox, chipper AND boom. You know....boom...aerial lift...aerial device...42 foot bucket. And loaded with chips.

I understand what you are saying but you never mention the boom. That is the deal here....a one ton with a chipbox, chipper AND boom. You know....boom...aerial lift...aerial device...42 foot bucket. And loaded with chips.
have you ever seen one of these trucks and I don't mean the ones in the above link?

Sorry I didn't mention a boom or aerial device, I thought that the thread title would let you know what we're talking about here.

You non believers can say a 1-ton sized bucket truck is worthless but that is where YOU work. Where I work you would NEVER get your big a$$ kodiak trucks down on the lake where I do 80% of my work. I always thought mounting a Nifty Lift ariel on a 1-ton chasis would be a great idea. The work I do, there is no need for dielectric booms and the light weight of the Nifty Lift and the 1-ton would be ideal.

You non believers can say a 1-ton sized bucket truck is worthless but that is where YOU work. Where I work you would NEVER get your big a$$ kodiak trucks down on the lake where I do 80% of my work. I always thought mounting a Nifty Lift ariel on a 1-ton chasis would be a great idea. The work I do, there is no need for dielectric booms and the light weight of the Nifty Lift and the 1-ton would be ideal.
i agree with that you could even fab sonthing with more hight than the nifty lift. they have 75ft+ that will go threw a gate so if there is a will there is a way:) i just dont see a reason to put a self propeled lift that will clear a gate on a pickup and loose that narrow advantage. the nifty is a tow behind it is light enough to pull with 4 men or can go on a lawn tractor or atv. do they come taller than 42 feet?

In the UK, where they are manufactured, they truck mount the Nifty's. Over here they haven't matched the ANSI spec's to do so, even though supposedly the UK's version of ANSI is more strict??

F450 CLASS 4 (16000lbs)
GMC 7500 CLASS 6(26,000lbs

You would be approx 10,000lbs lighter. Divide that by 4 corners of the vehicle = 2,500lbs per tire(since tires are what sink). So saving that 2,500lbs is going to allow that tire remain on top ground and not sink on wet terrain near a lake?

I would be willing to bet both trucks in most wet conditions would get stuck. Add some alturnamats and I would be willing to bet that both trucks would be ok. So again, these trucks are almsot exactly the same width, what really is the advantage?

Not in the lake...down the lake roads and around all the camps and such. If you had a 450/550 with a light weight Nifty Lift mounted on it there is no waaay you can honestly say that a large forestry package with a 60ft lift can be in the same weight class. 2500lbs? I would say that is a considerable amount of weight for each corner. Forgetting the weight issue the main point should have been the compact size and yes.... if you had a short wheel base 650/750, Kodiak, or International you would achieve the same thing as with a 1-ton chassis. It would be "neat" to have a 1-ton type bucket truck I never foresee myself purchasing one.

if you had a short wheel base 650/750, Kodiak, or International you would achieve the same thing as with a 1-ton chassis.
yup they make the bigger trucks just as short a wheel base like a 1 ton too. Travel to the same places and more reach(height and outreach).
9185347.jpg

yup they make the bigger trucks just as short a wheel base like a 1 ton too. Travel to the same places and more reach(height and outreach).
9185347.jpg

I would love to have a short wheelbase rear mount flatbed like that. Without the bog tires and maybe 2wd to keep it light.

A guy around here has a 3/4 ton flatbed with some kind of pull behind type lift that he mounted on there. I am not sure which brand it is. He is the same guy who invented this thing. I don't know how well it works for him. It seems like it would be great for a few things but useless for most work.

9185347.jpg

There she is!
You can not possibly think this is not useful in the field.

Last edited:
9185347.jpg
whooo that thing is beast!! i worked for a company in MD that had 2 skidder buckets with tires just like that beast truck. they were way more of a tractor than a truck.. is that truck legally able to drive on the road? the closest rig i'v seen like that is a spray truck used in farming. i want one of them too:clap: only with a supercharged blower and a Chevy big block with open headers:rock: ill park it right next to the other lil baby bucket inside my race car tree care shop:greenchainsaw: :smoking:

9185347.jpg

Now thats a bucket truck!! A company I use to work for had a 60' Altec on a international 4X4 chassis. It was awsome in the snow but because of the low fuel tank, out riggers, rear steps, etc.. etc... It was really limited on its OFF ROADING capabilities. This truck on the other hand looks like its ready to go mountain climbing..:rock:

9185347.jpg

There she is!
You can not possibly think this is not useful in the field.

Damn..can you imagine the smile on your customers face if you showed up with something like that! I bet I'd have the whole neighborhood over taking pics with their kids on it..and grown ups too. I bet this thing IS street legal, but only locally, and not legal on the highway. If I had a toy like that..I'd be smiling like a newborn baby born baby boy born with 3 peckers..LMFAO I'd be looking at the local tree guy going...ya..whatda YOU got!LMAO

Back