114 Dolmar spark issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madsaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK I am working on a 114 Dolmar with spark issues. The guy wanted the coild changed out. A local shop already had the flywheel pulled adn everything loose under it. So, what is the correct setting to place the electronic module at under the fly wheel. I have already put it back together and had a spark but it only lasted a little bit. The coil I used is knowen to be good. It came off a running saw with low compression. I am thinking I do not have somethign set correctly for this saw. Also is there a source for new solid states for it. The parts saw I have was a 112 points saw.
Thanks
Bob

Maybe

Check all the wiring that connects to the trigger module and make sure there are no breaks in the wire that runs from the trigger to the coil......they like to break inside the insulation from vibration sometimes and go intermittent.

There is no gap adjustment that I recall on that type and I have not done one in a while but I don't think there is a timing adjust on the electronic trigger unit either......it can only be screwed in one place and gap.

If you had some spark I suspect either a short to case in one of the trigger wires or a broken wire under the insulation

I just checked it again intermintant spark. Never gave the switch a second thought. I know for a fact the saw the coil came off ran fine with no hicpups. So I only changed the coil since I did not have the trigger. So I will check the switch next.
Bob

Scott,
Does the 6800 need a trigger then? If not then would that coil also work on the 112 that had the points in them?
I know this is off of what I am workingon, but I noticed the cam for the points on the 112 are on the flywheel. So, how do you set them?
Thanks
Bob

Scott,
Does the 6800 need a trigger then? If not then would that coil also work on the 112 that had the points in them?
I know this is off of what I am workingon, but I noticed the cam for the points on the 112 are on the flywheel. So, how do you set them?
Thanks
Bob

setting points on the 112 Yes there is a special cam tool, Yes the ignition coil from the 120si will fit 112, 113, 114, 116, 116si, 120si, PS6000, PS6800
it is a stand alone system no points or trigger needed.

Scott

Check all the wiring that connects to the trigger module and make sure there are no breaks in the wire that runs from the trigger to the coil......they like to break inside the insulation from vibration sometimes and go intermittent.

There is no gap adjustment that I recall on that type and I have not done one in a while but I don't think there is a timing adjust on the electronic trigger unit either......it can only be screwed in one place and gap.

If you had some spark I suspect either a short to case in one of the trigger wires or a broken wire under the insulation

Thanks for that info PES+, even though it was not mean`t for me specifically it reminded me to check this out on one of the 112`s I have that periodically gives me a problem and lo and behold when I pulled gently on the lead from the top of the coil-trigger unit it was broken inside with only the insulation casing holding it in place. The saw would start most times in a pull or two and even run for a minute or two then start to miss and stutter,I blamed the points and cleaned and reset them half a dozen times only to no avail,also changed spark plugs and still had problem. I set it aside for future consideration and after reading your thread it hit home and proved out this morning. Fixed it up with an electronic unit from a 113 donor saw,works a+. Pioneerguy600

OK I am working on a 114 Dolmar with spark issues. The guy wanted the coild changed out. A local shop already had the flywheel pulled adn everything loose under it. So, what is the correct setting to place the electronic module at under the fly wheel. I have already put it back together and had a spark but it only lasted a little bit. The coil I used is knowen to be good. It came off a running saw with low compression. I am thinking I do not have somethign set correctly for this saw. Also is there a source for new solid states for it. The parts saw I have was a 112 points saw.
Thanks
Bob

Did you change your spark plug to a resistance type of plug? One with a (r) in the numbering on the plug . If you changed from a points and condenser setup to a electronic coil I have been told by my old Dolmar dealer that a resistor plug must be used as the electronic coil requires resistance in the high tension wire or it will quickly burn out. At least that`s what I was told many years back when I first started swapping electronic units into points saws.
Pioneerguy600

If you have a meter handy......check the resistance between the plug lead and the coil frame and post the difference in resistance between the electronic all in one coil and the points style coil.

Also you can chip the points coil and the trigger under the flywheel coil as they are pretty much the same coil.

I had fewer problems with the points type coils on the Dolmars than the early all in one electronic coils.

Now I have guys changing screws with ones too long and wiping out coils.

Last edited:
Back