120 acres to tops!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Frasher

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My neignbor just had 120 acres of land timbered. All the tops I can cut. less than 1/4 from my house. MY wife & I cut a truck and 2 trailer loads Wed. I will try to get some pic of the place the next time I go up. Its firewood heaven.

Here is a question its about a mile and a half up a one land blacktop road. The logging trucks have tore the road up pretty bad. Is the logging company responsible for fixing the road.

I am also member zipper1081 but could not log on under that name so I had to start over again.

Is the logging company responsible for fixing the road.

Probably depends on the state...and whether the town can prove the condition of the road before and whether the logging company violated any laws such as weight restrictions or seasonal closures.

If the town wasn't taking action while the road is being damaged to document that stuff and try to stop it, it's going to be extra hard for them to go after damages after the fact.

=========
Oh, and 120 acres of tops, eh?

Let me be the first to say, "YOU SUCK!"

Getting to cut with no splitting is very nice.

Getting to cut with no splitting is very nice.
If anything like here, we cut a lot of tops and still do a LOT of splitting.

As far as the road is concerned, it depends on who owns it & if the logger agreed to maintain it. We have 400 acres here and maintain our own logging roads.

If anything like here, we cut a lot of tops and still do a LOT of splitting.

As far as the road is concerned, it depends on who owns it & if the logger agreed to maintain it. We have 400 acres here and maintain our own logging roads.

Your right, no splitting was a stretch.

Sweet deal. With that much you can probably take just the primo stuff and leave the little 4" sticks

I say take it all, and I do, down to about 2", if I had a chunker I'd take the twigs too and sell the chunks to people with indoor wood boilers.

Small stuff is wonderfull for shoulder season and getting campfires going. I often sell it cut at 12" to older people who don't want to mess with big stuff. It all has the same BTU's per pound, although with different burn characteristics.

As to OP, have you thought about getting into the firewood business?

Mr. HE:cool:

Going to cut until I have to split then go to the next top. Then next year go back and cut what has to be split. Hope I can get some pics of this honey hole.
The road is not private it's a state road.
Can't remember my password.

The old BTU per pound. Poop has the same BTU per pound if you can get it dry enough despite the different burn characteristic.

You ever burned cow chips on a fire in the high desert?

Mr. HE:cool:

I would cut and split the big ends first, they might start to decay if left for a year or two. The little stuff will dry without help.

I'd get every last stick home that i had room for. You have been given a gift.. accept it all.. If the land owner sees you picking he may have a change of heart and offer it to someone that will haul all the wood away...

As long as your neighbor and you are on the same page about how you remove the tops, you shouldn't have any issues. Communication is important when cutting on someone else's land. You will know exactly what he expects and when. Keep him happy, keep your gold mine.

I'd get every last stick home that i had room for. You have been given a gift.. accept it all.. If the land owner sees you picking he may have a change of heart and offer it to someone that will haul all the wood away...

He will not have a change of heart. I have cut down trees off this land for the last 4-5 years. I told him I would cut him a truck load & deliver it to his house. Its really sad that this much wood is going to waist.

I don't think it's sad or a "waste" that some of the wood is left in the woods, what do you think feeds the next crop of tree's?? I don't mind leaving some of the small stuff or low quality wood in my woodlot at all...

SR

Latest posts

Back