14 inch saw for limbing and small trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgrizz

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am looking to get a saw for limbing and small tree clean up. A 14 inch bar would be what iam looking for. The ones i was looking at ms170 or the ms 180. My ms250 is too heavy to be swinging around. The 180 has 31.8 cc and the 170 has 30.1 and the weight of both saws are about the same.

I have a MS180 that sees absolutly no use. I bought it thinking I was going to use it for limbing, now after I got the 346 the 180 sees absolutly no use.

I would get a good used 026 for the same money as a new 180 and you have a way better saw. Or save up for a MS260 or 346xp.

I havn't ran the 180 but have three 170s they are ok for around the yard little trimming jobs. I got all three used at a pawn shop all have gave me no trouble. Just don't over work them bucking big stuff.

A good used 026 would fit the bill great unless you want to buy new then the 260.:clap:

Go for the 170!!

We have a 170 and really like it for small stuff. My dad uses it alot we even bucked up some 14" cherry and oak with it! I use it for wall building when I use 6x6 pt timbers, the small bar gets a better angle than the bigger bars on my poulan s25da's. my 2 cents...

I also have a 170. Its sparkling clean from lack of use. Nice enough saw, but it is truly only a limbing saw. I usually just take one bigger saw that will limb and buck.

The 170 is really good for one thing. It makes a great cattle fence building saw. Its perfect for walking the miles building braces before pulling the first wire. I also have been known to use it instead of a weedwacker when the saplings get a little thick in the back forty.

If you have a redmax dealer in your area, you might check out the 3800, the 4000 or the 4500. They weigh about 1/2 lb more that the 170/180 series, but you can cut 8-10" hardwood very easily with them.

If you have a redmax dealer in your area, you might check out the 3800, the 4000 or the 4500. They weigh about 1/2 lb more that the 170/180 series, but you can cut 8-10" hardwood very easily with them.

All of the above are far superior in construction than the 170/180. The 170 is a clamshell homeowner engine. The Redmax saws metioned are built similiar to a pro saw with a vertically split magnesium case, a bolt on cylinder, and a forged rod. They're still plasticy on the outside, but a much better built engine. The 3800 will require a muffler mod, so expect that going in. They're really choked up from the factory. The 4000 will benefit from one as well, but isn't near as choked up as the 3800 without one. Any of them can be modded to significantly out perform a MS200. But of course, that drives the price up.

How's the 211 and 435 compare in weight? I have not messed with either one.

From only picking up the 435 at blowes, it seems about the same as the 211. I don't worry about weight near as much as troll. The 211's power acts like a bigger saw anyway. For a cheaper limber, the 211 is sweet.

From only picking up the 435 at blowes, it seems about the same as the 211. I don't worry about weight near as much as troll. The 211's power acts like a bigger saw anyway. For a cheaper limber, the 211 is sweet.

The vids I've seen make it look comparable to the Dolmar 420. What did you say the compression was on the 211? The 420 was up around 190-195, and I believe that has a lot to do with why it's so strong.

The vids I've seen make it look comparable to the Dolmar 420. What did you say the compression was on the 211? The 420 was up around 190-195, and I believe that has a lot to do with why it's so strong.

With that new plug size, I could not find an adaptor with a o-ring to seal against the surface well. I got 158psi with another adaptor and that seemed right to me. I pretty sure they don't make near the comp the 420 does. The 211 doesn't spool up quick or scream but holds it's rpms very well. I've been wanting to open up the muff but have had so much other stuff to do.:cry:

I bought a 3800 and 4000 (fleabay actually) and really like them. The 4000 has a bit more power, but I have gotten to like the 3800 alot too.

Balanced, compact, air filters seem to stay clean well,etc.

Very nice little trim saws, with a 14 inch 3/8 lp setup working well.

Keeping my eyes out for another 3800 for the right price. Such a pleasant saw to use.

Last edited:
I have had a 170 and it is ultra light weight. Less than 9 lbs for the power head, and I have no complaints about the 170. But.....

The 211 weighs 12 lbs with a 14 inch bar and chain and tanks full.

It is a big hit with me. Light weight, nimble and cuts like a bigger saw.

I have a MS180 and I use it all the time, it is alot easier on the back compared to the 460. I find that I will use the 180 to cut 20" dia oak and it has no problem doing it and uses alot less fuel. I like the quick adjust tensioner, it has never given me any problems as long as I keep it clean.

Back