15 year old Speeco, How do they differ from new?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosegunner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
15 year old speeco for sale nearby. Wow was the quality back then?

Were they made differently than current ones?

A little pricey at $750 but maybe they were put together better back then?

gg

If you have the model# you can compare what it cost to get an equivalent size new then make a determination if its a good deal.
Old is old so you should take into consideration the hydraulics may need servicing and that can ad up.The engine while it might run can be a gas hog costing more to run and your taking somebody's word that it works good.Mine I got used for 4 and it ran and worked but I replaced the engine because it just made sense to do for another 4.Replaced a hose for another 1 and had to modify the hydraulic fluid capacity to work with the pump the PO installed that is bigger than the original.So things ad up.

22 ton

They had new ones locally about a week ago for $970+ tax.

Just wondering if the welding, steel and other parts were better on the old ones.

gg

22 ton

They had new ones locally about a week ago for $970+ tax.

Just wondering if the welding, steel and other parts were better on the old ones.

gg

Not IMO. I was over to a buddies house. He had an older 22 ton speeco in his garage. Filter location and position is different than mine (prefering mine).
Welds and metalwork all looks the same as mine.
I did not compare motor or pump. Didn't look that close.

IMO, I would rather spend the money on a NEW unit, rather than 750 on a very old unit, likely needing repair in a short time.

15 year old speeco for sale nearby. Wow was the quality back then?

Were they made differently than current ones?

A little pricey at $750 but maybe they were put together better back then?

gg

Hi, we haven't made any significant changes to our welding or steel. The steel we are using now is the same thickness and strength as 15 years ago. Hope this helps?

Kevin@speeco

Hi, we haven't made any significant changes to our welding or steel. The steel we are using now is the same thickness and strength as 15 years ago. Hope this helps?

Kevin@speeco

Now that quality of the speeco splitters have been brought up, can you tell me why speeco has done away with the quality known components like the barnes pump and the prince valve?I was talking with Rock and fixing to pull the trigger on a 34 ton splitter and I asked him the brand of pump and valves used.He later got back to me to let me know that the pump and valve are both chinese made and are of no particular make or model. buy a speeco and its a crap shoot as to what pump and valve you are going to get.hate to drop 2k on a model and have the pump crap out the second the warranty expires.Speeco having good luck with their components even if they are chinese made?

I see Craigslist ads for one and two year old Huskee 22s (about the same as a Speeco, right?) all the time for $750 to $800.

Check around. You can do better for the money.

OR, get the seller to come down to $400 to $500, maybe?

Now that quality of the speeco splitters have been brought up, can you tell me why speeco has done away with the quality known components like the barnes pump and the prince valve?I was talking with Rock and fixing to pull the trigger on a 34 ton splitter and I asked him the brand of pump and valves used.He later got back to me to let me know that the pump and valve are both chinese made and are of no particular make or model. buy a speeco and its a crap shoot as to what pump and valve you are going to get.hate to drop 2k on a model and have the pump crap out the second the warranty expires.Speeco having good luck with their components even if they are chinese made?

It's a sad day when you have to ask those kinds of questions about a piece of equipment. My old homemade splitter is still rockin. If I had to buy a new one, I'd save my duckets and get a Wallenstien.

Latest posts

Back