181se no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Bondeson

chainsaw guru
Reaction score
I just put back together a 181se and i was in my basement it had very powerful spark, so i put the plug in to see if it fired, it did, so i walked outside to start it and tune it no fire went back to the bench pulled the plug no spark tried new plug no spark,
Now i am vary familiar with saws i was just wandering if anyone had any thoughts before i tear it apart

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How much gap between the coil and the magnets on the flywheel? We just had to regap my 266/272 because we had sporadic soark due to too much gap.

The previous posts are the the problems i've had with my x81's, 288s. Good info.

If it's a two piece coil make sure the wires between the coils aren't grounding out or cut/broke. I've had to repair the the wires on one of mine. Also the plug wire boot might be messed up connecting to the plug.

Thanks for all the help everyone it turns out the coil was not set right so i reset it with some printer paper and sure enough she sparked, as a matter of fact i was holding the plug housing wrong and it sent me up a good foot of the ground [emoji23].

But now that thats fixed i went outside to start it and broke the starter rope[emoji35] but i'll get it eventually!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

use a business card as a spacer for the flywheel pickup. you mentioned paper but i hope it was not a single piece. hate to see your flywheel slam into the pickup.

Back