18in or 16in bar on 353?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driftwood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am currently looking at buying a husky 353. I am looking at getting it with a 18 in bar. I cut mostly hardwoods (a lot of locust and hedge). Would the saw run that much better if I went with a 16in bar? I have a Craftsman 42cc with a 18 in bar that sometimes boggs down in larger logs. I like the length of the 18in bar but most of the wood I cut is less than 15in. Any thoughts?

I'd go with the 16", but that's just personal preference. I think that those saws balance and perform best with 15-16" bars. 18" would be OK, if you prefer the extra length. But if you don't need the extra length then it's just that more cutters to sharpen when you poke through a 16" log and stick your chain into the dirt!

I'd go with the 16", but that's just personal preference. I think that those saws balance and perform best with 15-16" bars. 18" would be OK, if you prefer the extra length. But if you don't need the extra length then it's just that more cutters to sharpen when you poke through a 16" log and stick your chain into the dirt!

Exactly!

If an 18" is really needed, a larger saw should be considered.

Last edited:
I have an 18" B&C on my 353 and it does fine, it's not going to cut real fast if you're using the whole bar, but it will work.

I normally don't cut anything bigger than 16" with the 353, I just like the extra reach the 18" bar gives me.:cheers:

Back