192t muffler demystified!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawinredneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, cleaned out the garage so I could get to my table, then I got bored! Opened up the 192 and what do I see? Stihl once again has given us a very handy rectangle to show right where the port is and it's size!!! I just drilled a 3/8 hole in the center and called it good. Why? because I was just too lazy and tierd to do the math! And, everyone seems to think this is the size to go with?
Finally found the perfect place for my new sticker to:ices_rofl:
Andy

Where'd you get that sticker? I want a few for my car. :laugh: :laugh:

Nice little muffler mod, but next time, could you please resize the pics a little?

Lawn Masters said:
Where'd you get that sticker? I want a few for my car. :laugh: :laugh:

Nice little muffler mod, but next time, could you please resize the pics a little?

Sorry about the pic size, I was in a hurry and didn't want the half hour explanation from "Mama", know what I mean?

A buddy of mine dropped the sticker off the other day, "I saw this and instantly thought of you, had to buy it then!!" Gotta love freinds like that!
Andy

Ok, I finally had time to run it, not even long enogh to tune the carb. There is a problem doing it this way!!!!! You need to put on a deflector or it WILL melt the plastic side cover!!!! I belive I have a solution and will tyr it latter tonight if I get time and post pics.
Andy

OK, that took longer than I thought it would!! There are a couple things I regret now that its done, I used the screen to cover the origanal exhaust hole and brazed over it, good in theory, bad in practice!!! My brazing SUCKS!!! I will be the first to admit that. If I were to start all over again I think I would just trim the offending plastic and be done!!! Which I think will have to happen anyway as the deflector rubs against it now and will probably melt it soon!!
First pic is the melting cover, next is the new hole, I was there, that is roughly 75% of the exhaust port and the newly modiffied origanal deflector shield. Last pic is the muffler back together.
Pick away, this should be good, but hey, "If you don't learn something new everyday, it was a waste of time" Right?
Andy

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Sorry guys, I promise I did try to re-size the pics for you!!!! Maybe Ultra can help me out and post them smaller?
Andy

attachment.php

So was their any reason for covering up the old muffler hole or is that just to streamline the airflow. Also did you have to get rid of the plastic adjusting stop the carb. OK one last question I cannont resist, how much did you have to turn up the carb their following. Sorry but yet another was it worth it?
Jared

So was their any reason for covering up the old muffler hole or is that just to streamline the airflow. Also did you have to get rid of the plastic adjusting stop the carb. OK one last question I cannont resist, how much did you have to turn up the carb their following. Sorry but yet another was it worth it?
Jared

Ok, as best as I recall:

The original mod melted the plastic cover VERY quickly!!
The hole I made was in a rectangle that was stamped in the muffler. It was directly across from the exh. port, no baffles to cut or anything. I closed the original hole with the line of thought that air might cause backpressure trying to go that route. No idea if I was right or wrong.

Yes!!!! You will have to trim off the stop, it's like a Husky stop. I bent the needle screw trying to pul it off, so don't do that!!! Just trim the stop with fingernail clippers or a pair of dykes and smooth it out.

I think? I had to turn it up around a quarter turn to get the burbble I like. I tend to run a hair on the rich side.

To me? Yup!!! Mine was the quick and dirty way, you can split the muffler and remove the baffeling and use the stck outlet, but this flows better, and was easier.
Someone that likes a nice "clean" looking saw, they might not like melting the side cover on thier saw. But there was a noticed increase in power and it's a lot snappier in the throttle!

I would still like to open up the cylinder and see what can be done, I woud like to think there is more to be had, maybe even pushing 200t? I don't know.

Thanks a ton Andy, I will have to look at how hard it would be take apart the saw but who know what I will run in to. If that is too hard I will just do it the andy way.
Jared

You're welcome Jared, good luck with it!!

Remeber, it's a chainsaw, not rocket science:hmm3grin2orange:

Wait a minute all this time I thought it was rocket science. After all I do work on a rocket ranch. One of the few AF bases where if our planes take off get out your lawn chair and watch cause this is going to be exciting.
Jared

I wanted to revive this thread and ask a couple of questions.

1) Has anyone had issues with the muffler mod suggested as far as contaminants getting into the exhaust port?

2) How do you pop this muffler open to remove the baffling, and modify but use the existing porting?

Thanks

Back