1977 Asplaudh whisper wood chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vendetti

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a 1977 Asplaudh Whisper wood chipper. It has a Ford 320 v8 motor It's a great running Machine. But I can'nt find any info on how to adjust the settings or change the blades. Removing the blades looks simple anuff it's the ajustments that I'm more concerned with. Once I put new blades on I'm sure it will need to be adjusted. Does anyone know where I can find some info on this.

I have a 1977 Asplaudh Whisper wood chipper. It has a Ford 320 v8 motor It's a great running Machine. But I can'nt find any info on how to adjust the settings or change the blades. Removing the blades looks simple anuff it's the ajustments that I'm more concerned with. Once I put new blades on I'm sure it will need to be adjusted. Does anyone know where I can find some info on this.

Good question for the equipment forum

I am Jeff and I am here to help! I knew if I waited long enough, I could help out!
PM me dude, I love the 70's.
Jeff

It does not have a 320....there is no FORD 320.....pm me with the numbers off the engine and i will tell you what it is.
It is probably a 330.

BTW if i can help with the blade question, let me know what info you need as well..i'll take the instructions off the side of my whisper.

Last edited:
I got one as well but mine has a straight 6. I thinks its a 260 or 283. I guess it's the same motor as the Maverick's had. Runs like a top. I just got a new carb put on and rebuilt the frame last winter. Now I needs a dump truck.

I got one as well but mine has a straight 6. I thinks its a 260 or 283. I guess it's the same motor as the Maverick's had. Runs like a top. I just got a new carb put on and rebuilt the frame last winter. Now I needs a dump truck.

It likely has a 240 or 300 ford inline more 300 ci they run forever. The whisper has a gauge built in to set blades at the side of the drum is an edge set blades by raising or lowering rest under them and slide blades over to the sides until its flush with the bores edge then center the blade and tighten wedge to spec. Note: use anti seize so next time is easy. Be sure to torque at least three times they will loosen as next bolt gets torqued. Once blades are set install anvil after flipping the 1" square cutter bar the is allen bolted to the anvil to a new edge. Adjust the set screws from under the machine until the cutter bar is level and around .20 from blade edges torque the two large anvil bolts to spec and recheck blade clearance. Then tighten jamb nuts on cutter bar adjusters. Job done well! Also if one of the wedge bolts or more have any play in the allen wrench fit replace the bolts you can thank me by not having to torch them out later!

I think it's a 240 then. When I bought it the blades were in upside down. What a great dependable machine. Just wish it had feed rollers sometimes though.

I don't know if mine is a whisper, but I am thinking of putting feed rollers on mine.

First I need to replace a rough bearing.

I would never call mine quiet!

It came with a v8, and I took it off and put an electric motor on it for a special job, that didn't work out.

I did not know you could put a feed roller on a chuck and duck. Where can I find one.

I had planned on building one, however I need a little "motivation". :)

My plan is actually to mount the chipper on a trailer, that has a dump on the rear of the trailer, so as to not need to be unhooked to unload. The chipper would be mounted loading from the passenger side.

With a diesel engine. Possibly.

My plan is actually to mount the chipper on a trailer, that has a dump on the rear of the trailer, so as to not need to be unhooked to unload. The chipper would be mounted loading from the passenger side.

With a diesel engine. Possibly.

I remember Promark had a chipper just like that. It was called a C10 I think. Hook up like a trailor and could feed from either side. 10 yard rear dump. Dang, that would of been around 1990 or '89?
Jeff

Just asking:

Could you load it from either side at any time, or did you rotate the feed?

What advantage would it be to be ambidextrous? I can see needed to park and load off the curb (in the US of course) or parking as you will in a large yard. I can't see the advantage of loading from both sides.

Can you?

Latest posts

Back