1992 7.3 liter chip truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urban logger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking to buy a new to me chip truck. I know that the dt466 is a strong engine... But how bout the 444 non turbo?? Does anyone have this engine in a chip truck and if so how is it?? Full of chips and towing a model 13 chipper??

I drove a couple of non turbo internationals 12-15 years ago and they were so slow loaded that we couldn't travel on the freeways because they wouldn't maintain minimum speed. One was a bucket with a 14k trailer and the other was a 30 yd. chip truck with Morbark 2400

30yards and your chipper sounds like a lot...I oy have a 10yard truck and a model thirteen morbark... I should be a lot lighter... How was it towing empty?? Did it have a auto tranny or manual ??

5 speed w split rear. Truck 14k, chip approx. 16k. GVWR on truck 32k so a bit to spare there. Chip box was very seldom full but it did happen. Both trucks were dogs empty also so it was no surprise when towing was worse. I now have 2 F800 w/ detroit 8.2l that are slow but 12mpg, a GMC 3500 bucket w/ 454 - 3 mpg, and a F700 w/429 gas - 4 mpg. The F700 is fast but you pay with gas milage. The old F800's pay for themselves every year in fuel savings, have no computers, and start fine all year cold or not

If you were asking me about the 7.3 and 8.2. I have 2 non turbo 8.2 detroit's in F800s, they are equally slow as the old internationals I drove but the only 7.3 I've owned was a power stroke in a 95 3/4 ton F250 and it was awesome. Had a programmer w/ 200+ tongue chip and made plenty of power all the time. But that's what you get with a turbo. The 8.2 detroit is only a 170hp engine but I would guess it would be around a 250-260hp w/ a turbo

The old idi 7.3s were pretty slow and low on power. They are in no way comparable to a 7.3 Powerstroke. And it's not just the turbo, the turbo idi's still don't have much power. But the idi's are super reliable and cheap to maintain. They have enough power to get the job done if you don't mind taking your time.

I have a 93 f350 crew cab long bed dually 7.3l idi non turbo that I used for pulling equipment around. With a trailer weight of around 11k it would only 60mph. I never got less than 12 mpg pulling. Very reliable truck as long as the glowplugs are working. Empty the truck would get close to 15-16mpg it has the 5 speed manual trans with a 4.10 gear rear end. 75 mph empty trailer or no trailer would start sucking the fuel down pretty fast. Last winter when I using it everyday I very seldom plugged it in, just took longer to get warmed up.

Like everyone else stated as long as you don't mind taking your time they are very reliable trucks. Obviously on the older trucks maintenance might have been neglected.

A 7.3 non turbo is fine in a 1 ton I have one it's not fast real reliable cheap to fix. I would never have one in a big truck. I drove a 444 turbo auto in an international low hp rated that was so slow it ruined your day. One day we were parked on a hill loaded it with logs put the skid steer on it would not move up the hill! Took trailer off had it drive up hill hooked up to chipper and had the bucket tow the skid. It wasn't overloaded at all I couldn't belive they could sell something like that.

Is this in an F350, FSuperduty, or a medium duty truck? I would choose an old 7.3 over an 8.2, I have owned them both. You can source a turbo for the 7.3 rather easily and get 200hp to the rear tires. The biggest thing is the pump and injectors. They are medium wear items usually needing replacement at 150,000 mile intervals. New pump, injectors and timing can really bring life into a slug of an engine. I have a friend in California that logged and documented 985,000 miles on one 7.3 IDI in an F Superduty rollback. These trucks usually came with 4:88 or 5:13 gears. They would pull the gates off hell, known to get the job done, just not too quick compared to todays 400hp powerhouses.

Is this in an F350, FSuperduty, or a medium duty truck? I would choose an old 7.3 over an 8.2, I have owned them both. You can source a turbo for the 7.3 rather easily and get 200hp to the rear tires. The biggest thing is the pump and injectors. They are medium wear items usually needing replacement at 150,000 mile intervals. New pump, injectors and timing can really bring life into a slug of an engine. I have a friend in California that logged and documented 985,000 miles on one 7.3 IDI in an F Superduty rollback. These trucks usually came with 4:88 or 5:13 gears. They would pull the gates off hell, known to get the job done, just not too quick compared to todays 400hp powerhouses.
this thread is about medium duty trucks, in this case old internationals, but I agree the old 7.3 idi motors were great but I don't know if they were decent motors in heavier that pickup chassis trucks. 8.2l motors were only in medium trucks and underpowered heavy trucks, slow but dependable

look into medium duty trucks that have a cummins turbo diesel in them. medium duty trucks will have anything from a 5.9l 6BT to a N14 8.5l both engines are really strong and with a 5.9l in the years between 1994-2007 there are lots and lots of performance parts to give it alittle extra pull. the bigger motors im not as familiar with so i dont know as much performance wise but im sure your local diesel mechanic could help ya out there.

The Cummins are good engines but the Internationals with a DT360 or DT466 engines are also great runners. The older mechanical injected engines are real easy to get a few extra ponies out of as well. The DT360 is basically a better built version of the 6BT Cummins. It has wet sleeved liners for easy in frame overhauls.

Snuff Bandit, the N14 is 14 liters, not 8.5.

We have the 7.3 idi in an F Super Duty. GVWR of 14,500.
It's SLOW, like pulls a hill at 25mph that my small block 160hp, C30 with same load does at 50mph.
Turd for starting, even with new glow plugs, pump and injectors.
Does get decent fuel mileage though.

My Bad valley. My brain fared on me ther(been doing that alot lately haha)

The Cummins are good engines but the Internationals with a DT360 or DT466 engines are also great runners. The older mechanical injected engines are real easy to get a few extra ponies out of as well. The DT360 is basically a better built version of the 6BT Cummins. It has wet sleeved liners for easy in frame overhauls.

The mechanical injector pumps are simple to turn up with a aftermarket feul pin/ plate and a straight pipe with or without a muffler Wakes the motors up. If you get one with computer controlled systems there is a fairly decent selection of programs and chips that can get a few extra ponies out.
For fords 7.3 motor the 99 and newer motors have really good programs for them offering tunable hp settings from 50h-190hp (depending on the chip)

Pairing the mods together will get you enough power. Especially with the 7.3 turbo and 5.9 cummins.

My Bad valley. My brain fared on me ther(been doing that alot lately haha)

The mechanical injector pumps are simple to turn up with a aftermarket feul pin/ plate and a straight pipe with or without a muffler Wakes the motors up. If you get one with computer controlled systems there is a fairly decent selection of programs and chips that can get a few extra ponies out.
For fords 7.3 motor the 99 and newer motors have really good programs for them offering tunable hp settings from 50h-190hp (depending on the chip)

Pairing the mods together will get you enough power. Especially with the 7.3 turbo and 5.9 cummins.

Haha, no big deal, I wasn't posting just to correct you, but I was wondering.. 8.5? haha.

The 8.3L, the C series Cummins... big brother to the B series is a great motor too. We had one in the Timco feller buncher. Also in the long log truck and short log truck. The long log truck is loaded to 80k, and probably more sometimes (no scales) and it pulls the hills pretty decent. Shoot the 14 liter 855 Cummins in my firewood dumptruck makes about the same power (well... it did stock ;))

Anyway, Urban Logger... not sure exactly what truck size your looking into, but if that truck is in the under maybe 20k when loaded down area and you live in a fairly flat area, and don't expect to be able to keep up with highway traffic it wouldn't be a horrible engine.

I ran a C70 Chevy for a couple years with a "300hp" 427 tall deck. Loaded down with 6 cords of wood (roughly 45,000lbs total weight) it pretty much took a couple miles to get up to speed. The book rated it at 300hp, but sometimes it pretty much felt like 5 hp compared to driving something modern. I ran a 600hp Kenworth 900 with 18speed over the winter and wow, talk about pulling hills real nice!

I pulled loads all over the state with the C70 and a few times on some hills steep enough that I was ALL the way in the basement (had 20 forward gears and 4 reverse) 1st in both trannys, praying that I wasn't going to blow a trans or driveline (thankfully they were semi truck sized, but still!)

Something to consider too is a smallish motor that is working real hard won't usually have a real long life vs a bigger motor not working as hard.

Latest posts

Back