2 Cycle Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidsonProprty

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey fellas,
What brand of 2 cycle oil does everyone buy?
I've always had fourth-hand/almost dead tools, and used standard motor oil or automatic transmission fluid in my mix fuel containers. But after purchasing brand new chainsaws this past year, I've been buying Husqvarna brand 2-cycle oil. I should also mention, I never lost a single weed-whacker, leaf blower, or chain saw running those mixes. I mean geez, I even ran some waste motor oil thru coffee filters and mixed with that. Aside from some mixes that were a bit too rich in oil and very smoky...no issues.
Is there really a difference in oil quality between brands? I can tell ya this Husky brand oil is much more expensive than standard universal 2-cycle oil!

I'm going to start purchasing 2-cycle oil in bulk. My local NAPA can get me 1-gallon jugs of Valvoline brand 2-cycle mix for a very reasonable rate. I trust Valvoline, it's what I grew up with!
Aside from that, I can purchase Stihl brand 2-cycle oil from my local saw shop in gallon jugs, 5 gallon pails, or 55 gallon drums. 55 gallon drum would be way too tough to store here, so that's out of the question. I got so frusturated the other day when I was running numbers on 2012 expenses....so I did up a graph of the savings of buying 2-cycle oil in bulk. I'm better with numbers than a computer, so I'll just type out my findings in a way to understand!

The numbers below are coming right off the Stihl website.

One 2.6 oz container of oil will mix 1 gallon of fuel. This 2.6 oz container costs $2.17. It costs you $2.17 to create 1 gallon of mix fuel.

One 12.8 oz container of oil will mix 5 gallons of fuel. This 12.8 oz container costs $7.89. Using this size oil container, 1 gallon of fuel costs $1.58. This is a $0.59 savings PER GALLON. This is a $2.96 savings over 5 GALLONS. For those who only mix up a 1 gallon container for easy-handling daily, you would be able to fill up a 2.6 oz single-gallon measuring container from this larger 12.8 oz container.

A 1-gallon jug of oil will contain 128 ounces of oil. 128 divided by 2.6 (single-gallon amount of mix) is 49.23. Let's call this 49. This 1-gallon jug will mix 49 gallons of fuel, and it costs $74.25. For easy math, let's call it $75. It costs $1.53 per gallon of mix fuel. This is only a $0.05 savings from the 12.8 oz container, but it's a $0.64 savings from the 2.6 oz container.

A 5-gallon pail of oil will mix 245 gallons of fuel. This container costs $366.12. Let's call it $367. It will cost $1.50 to mix 1 gallon of fuel. A $0.03 savings from the gallon jug, an $0.08 savings from the 12.8 oz container, and a $0.67 savings from the 2.6 oz container. Keep in mind, these savings figured are based on a single gallon.

For easy math, let's say you use 5 gallons of mix fuel every week. Let's say you work 50 weeks of the year. That's 250 gallons of mix fuel you use in the year.
2.6 oz container costs $2.17 per gallon.....that's $542.50 in 2-CYCLE OIL for the year.
12.8 oz container costs $1.58 per gallon....that's $395...a $147.50 savings over the single-gallon container.
1-gallon jug costs $1.53 per gallon...that's $382.50...a $12.50 savings from the 12.8 oz container, and a $160 savings from the 2.6 oz container.
5-gallon pail costs $1.50/gallon...that's $375.. .$7.50 savings from the 1-gallon jug, $20 savings from 12.8 oz container, and $167.50 from the 2.6 ouncers.

That's based on 250 gallons being mixed...and those are Stihl prices.
I have come up with a source to buy 1-gallon jugs of 2-cycle oil for $21. So it will cost me $0.43 to mix a gallon of fuel. $0.43 x 250 gallons = $107.50.

So....this math has brought out my question of opinions on using "non-name brand" 2-cycle oil.
Has anyone blown up an engine using universal 2-Cycle Oil? I always ALWAYS use 93 octane fuel in my mixes. According to local gossip, the high test fuel in my area does not contain the dreaded ethanol.

Last edited:
I bet mixing the auto transmission fluid with gasoline for your chainsaw mix was good for keeping the mosquitoes away?

valvoline is just fine.been using it for many years.make sure its for air cooled equipment and not for water cooled stuff.usually if i get the small bottles with any new equipment i buy i just stick it on the shelf to give to someone that needs it.

I buy the Stihl Ultra by the case 48 bottles of 2.6 ounce from the dealer for $70.00.
One case will last me a long time, probably cheaper by the gallon, but this is easer to work with.

I know how thick-headed you guys are, so I figured I'd try to maybe "shed some light" on real numbers. I used the search function for half an hour and came up empty, scrolled thru the first 5 pages of the chainsaw forum to spot a thread about oil...nothing. So I start a new thread...maybe you'd like to show me a link? Should I apologize for a new thread of what? Your sarcasm is making me want to put my fist through this screen.

No apology needed there are just a million oil threads here and they pop up daily but maybe not to answer your specific question but they're here. Ignore the sarcasm and ask away.

It's like a running joke around here, Don't take it personal. Grow a thick skin and fire right back. ( you did a fine job of stickin' up for your self. By the way, I use the Dolmar synthetic oil cause I get it at a great price from my nearest chain saw shop, and he happens to be a Dolmar dealer. If I did not use that brand, there is many other fine synthetic oils out there. I do not care for regular oils any more since I switched. Oh yeah, Welcome to AS.

As to an oil thread I prefer to start at the top of the alphabet. A is for Amsoil I have been using this for close to 10 years with-out any engine related malfunctions. V is near the end of the alphabet.Take it from their. Buy the way, I use Valvoline in both my Fords.. Ken

Believe it or not many people here will assist you in your query.Welcome to the sight!!

Last edited:
You put time and thought into creating this thread. I found it to be helpful and useful. Thanks for your time, and welcome to AS
:cheers: Have some REP

I am using Bel Ray H1R mixed at 45:1 with 93 octane 10% ethanol as there is no non ethanol gas avail here. I also use a high quality fuel stabilizer in every tank I mix. I have no problems.

Hey fellas,
What brand of 2 cycle oil does everyone buy?
I've always had fourth-hand/almost dead tools, and used standard motor oil or automatic transmission fluid in my mix fuel containers. But after purchasing brand new chainsaws this past year, I've been buying Husqvarna brand 2-cycle oil. I should also mention, I never lost a single weed-whacker, leaf blower, or chain saw running those mixes. I mean geez, I even ran some waste motor oil thru coffee filters and mixed with that. Aside from some mixes that were a bit too rich in oil and very smoky...no issues.
Is there really a difference in oil quality between brands? I can tell ya this Husky brand oil is much more expensive than standard universal 2-cycle oil!

I'm going to start purchasing 2-cycle oil in bulk. My local NAPA can get me 1-gallon jugs of Valvoline brand 2-cycle mix for a very reasonable rate. I trust Valvoline, it's what I grew up with!
Aside from that, I can purchase Stihl brand 2-cycle oil from my local saw shop in gallon jugs, 5 gallon pails, or 55 gallon drums. 55 gallon drum would be way too tough to store here, so that's out of the question. I got so frusturated the other day when I was running numbers on 2012 expenses....so I did up a graph of the savings of buying 2-cycle oil in bulk. I'm better with numbers than a computer, so I'll just type out my findings in a way to understand!

The numbers below are coming right off the Stihl website.

One 2.6 oz container of oil will mix 1 gallon of fuel. This 2.6 oz container costs $2.17. It costs you $2.17 to create 1 gallon of mix fuel.

One 12.8 oz container of oil will mix 5 gallons of fuel. This 12.8 oz container costs $7.89. Using this size oil container, 1 gallon of fuel costs $1.58. This is a $0.59 savings PER GALLON. This is a $2.96 savings over 5 GALLONS. For those who only mix up a 1 gallon container for easy-handling daily, you would be able to fill up a 2.6 oz single-gallon measuring container from this larger 12.8 oz container.

A 1-gallon jug of oil will contain 128 ounces of oil. 128 divided by 2.6 (single-gallon amount of mix) is 49.23. Let's call this 49. This 1-gallon jug will mix 49 gallons of fuel, and it costs $74.25. For easy math, let's call it $75. It costs $1.53 per gallon of mix fuel. This is only a $0.05 savings from the 12.8 oz container, but it's a $0.64 savings from the 2.6 oz container.

A 5-gallon pail of oil will mix 245 gallons of fuel. This container costs $366.12. Let's call it $367. It will cost $1.50 to mix 1 gallon of fuel. A $0.03 savings from the gallon jug, an $0.08 savings from the 12.8 oz container, and a $0.67 savings from the 2.6 oz container. Keep in mind, these savings figured are based on a single gallon.

For easy math, let's say you use 5 gallons of mix fuel every week. Let's say you work 50 weeks of the year. That's 250 gallons of mix fuel you use in the year.
2.6 oz container costs $2.17 per gallon.....that's $542.50 in 2-CYCLE OIL for the year.
12.8 oz container costs $1.58 per gallon....that's $395...a $147.50 savings over the single-gallon container.
1-gallon jug costs $1.53 per gallon...that's $382.50...a $12.50 savings from the 12.8 oz container, and a $160 savings from the 2.6 oz container.
5-gallon pail costs $1.50/gallon...that's $375.. .$7.50 savings from the 1-gallon jug, $20 savings from 12.8 oz container, and $167.50 from the 2.6 ouncers.

That's based on 250 gallons being mixed...and those are Stihl prices.
I have come up with a source to buy 1-gallon jugs of 2-cycle oil for $21. So it will cost me $0.43 to mix a gallon of fuel. $0.43 x 250 gallons = $107.50.

So....this math has brought out my question of opinions on using "non-name brand" 2-cycle oil.
Has anyone blown up an engine using universal 2-Cycle Oil? I always ALWAYS use 93 octane fuel in my mixes. According to local gossip, the high test fuel in my area does not contain the dreaded ethanol.

Well, your math just convinced me to buy the 12.8 oz container instead of the 2.6 oz. Although I don't use large quantities of fuel to need the larger bottle, the savings , be it just change, does add up.

I like the Stihl full synthetic just for peace of mind, works for me. Thanks :msp_thumbup:

I used 30wt motor oil and outboard oil for many years.

Back in the late 80's I bought a bunch of Lawn Boy oil at a going out of business sale. So for some 12 years I used Lawn Boy at 32:1.

Then I bought a bunch of Pennzoil air cooled which I also used at 32:1.

Never any oil related problems.

Now, I have a bunch of Bailey's synthetic. It is bottled for 40:1 using two gallon containers.

A chainsaw friend uses Klotz at 32:1 and he never had any problems.

Another uses Red Line at 50:1

The only bad thing I've seen is people using Amsoil sat 100:1. I have a chainsaw that I got real cheap with a piston burned up with Amsoil at 100:1. I put a new piston in it.

I have some little bottles of Dolmar, Echo, and Husqvarna, synthetic that came with new chainsaws. The bottles are all made by the same company but are different colors.

I like semi synthetic, (still like a little dino poop in my oil)

Sent from my laptop using my fingers:msp_scared:

I know how thick-headed you guys are

I think you have underestimated our thick-headedness! :msp_biggrin: I only came to the oil thread 'cause I promised Mastermind that I would stop being silly on his flat-pop thread and find a nice, quiet oil thread. I use the 12.8 (5 gallon) size with either the stihl ultra or husky synthetic (most seem to hate the LS, but I kinda like it). Any savings past that point would be at the expense of me having to measure out oil which would bother my OCD. I didn't know ethanol free 93 pump gas even existed. You're lucky to have it.
Welcome again, remember to "fight" snarky sarcastic humor with snarky sarcastic humor of your own, and never punch a monitor. Bad for the environment.

Back