2 saw plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess it really depends on the type of cutting you need to do. For a homeowner who cuts 5 cords of wood per year, I would lreally like the HUSKY 345 and STIHL 310 I have. You can see from my signature that both have been modded. But, truely both worked fine without being modded for what I required of them.

As you get into more wood and larger wood, The 066/660 Stihl is a great choice. It is a beast and can easiy handle a 36" bar - meaning it can cut 5 foot thick wood in two passes.

Have no experience with a 70-80cc saw. Most here will recommend one of them.

Also, if you are not a "PRO", don't get fooled by the feeling here that a "PRO" saw is a requirement for anyone who picks up one. It is just not true. And best of all the "nonPRO" saws are a good bit less expensive.

Hal

I will agree with that. I have 3 50cc class saws. I leave my 5100 and 550xp at home and carry my MS 250 to work on a daily basis. I do enviromental work and occassionally have to trim limbs and cut pathways for river access. I hate using my pro saws for work cause the saw will roll down a bank on a regular basis :msp_biggrin:. That cheap homeowner saw has yet to let me down. I actually do like the homeowner Stihl saws for a cheaper alternative. I do use pro saws for my own use as they really do offer superior design and better power to weight ratio which I put a high value on.

I will agree with that. I have 3 50cc class saws. I leave my 5100 and 550xp at home and carry my MS 250 to work on a daily basis. I do enviromental work and occassionally have to trim limbs and cut pathways for river access. I hate using my pro saws for work cause the saw will roll down a bank on a regular basis :msp_biggrin:. That cheap homeowner saw has yet to let me down. I actually do like the homeowner Stihl saws for a cheaper alternative. I do use pro saws for my own use as they really do offer superior design and better power to weight ratio which I put a high value on.

You need that special order german model ms250, the ms250SS, for schwimmen schnorkel....

An 036/360 PRO wearing a 16" and an 8 pin (lite bar for weight) and a 460 Mag with a 20" and an 8 pin also.

Put a 25" or 28" in the truck just in case (skip tooth) :)

I can't imagine owning an unmodded saw. I've put so many tanks through my ported 026 PRO that I forgot what it was like stock.

Then my boss asked me to get his running today. The stock one is definitely choked up. A lot.

I also can't imagine only two saws. Two of each in 10cc increments? Yeah that makes more sense to me.

I have CAD.

Where do string trimmers fit in all this? I have 8 or 9 of the darn things.

I am trying really hard to get my brain wrapped around only two saws. ummmmmmmmmm 026 PRO and MS440R :rock:

I love the only 2 saws I own: 372xp, and 346xpne - no need for anything else here around the farm. Once in a while I think I would like a 390xp, but it would only need to come out once or twice a year (cannot justify the money). I like having only two saws that I use the heck out of. I am not really a collector and don't like having tools and things that I don't use. Of course I would love to take a 550 for a whirl and am interested in the new 5-series 70cc saw that husky will come out with, but I love my classics--makes the work enjoyable!

Tim

Guess it depends on the type of work and the fitness of the user, etc. For the field and trail maintenance business I have on the side, 50cc and 70cc saws work well. An MS260 Pro is the most often used and most efficient. For the larger saw I jumped 20cc's to an MS440, which has a good power/weight ratio and gives me a even chance of keeping ahead of my partner with the heavy equipment when the wood gets bigger.

If I were buying from the Husky dealer across town, the choices would be 346xp and 372xp.

Last edited:
My 346 and 268 are what I rely on for the most work. I have got such a crush on the 268xp sp for so many reasons, It is just a bad ars saw for a 60 cc machine.

550xp and 562xp

I know they are similar but I always cut with my dad and we both wanted light saws. We just take turns running them. The 562xp will fell anything we want then start bucking and meet the other one somewhere in the middle. You would be surprised how fast we can drop, limb, and buck a tree. :cheers:

Back