2009 Chainsaw Health Challenge!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You actually have just as serious of a problem as me. You need to see your Dr for a checkup first, then you need to see a good nutritionist. They will likely put you on a 3000+ calorie per day diet and send you to the gym. A couple of double cheesburgers isn't going to do it for you. Yes, they might pack some fat on, but that's probably not what you need. You need protien and then you need to use that protien to create muscle. At 6'3" and 155 lbs, your BMI is so low you are guaranteed to have serious medical problems. Age isn't going to be kind to you if you don't get this under control.

As far as your wife is concerned, just let her know that protien and exercise are necessary for your health. She can either help with a 10 minute exercise regimen, or she can help by dealing with your bedpan after you have a stroke and can't walk anymore. :hmm3grin2orange:

First off, way to go BuddaKat!!!! That is an inspiring tale- keep up the great work!!

I'm also 6'3" and 150 lbs. and in the same boat as bayshorecs and banshee- I can work out, drink, eat, what not and still weigh the same. In fact, I've weighed the same since high school and I'm 41 now. I'm an avid cyclist/swimmer (since college) and splittin' wood with an axe has helped a lot with upper body strength.

My cholesterol is wicked low (inherited) and I'm in better shape now than 10 (or 15 or 20) years ago. I don't think I'll have any serious medical problems in the future (neither does my doc) and I do an annual checkup (all of us should). My wife is a vegetarian and I eat beef/chicken/pork a couple of times a week. My diet is awesome (we do eat fish/dairy/eggs) as my wife is a runner and is diligent about getting the right amount of protein, carbs, etc. in our meals. I know I eat better since getting married to a vegetarian- I have more energy and a better attitude.

I'm not sure what Banshee's situation is, but us "skinny" guys got stick together. :cheers:

Thanks again for your post, it's very encouraging.

And 10 minutes isn't enough. :)

Last edited:
Great thread! Other problems!

Hello

I'll be 44 this May. Did I just type that?? Reality check!!

I've been unemployed/underemployed for about 2.5 - 3 years. I had a good job as a Computer Aided Drafter/designer. (Another CAD issue :) ) I had to quit because of anxiety and depression. (Fired/laid off because lack of performance). This was amplified by other family problems. If you're having these problems, get help. I couldn't pull myself up by my boot straps. I finally went and saw a Dr. which put me on anti-depressants. The meds are helping along with starting to cut wood which gives me exercise. I'm not one to do useless motion in a gym. It's good that I like running my saws, pickup, splitter, and there is something about putting dry wood in the stove knowing that the propane furnace burner will stay off saving money. I'm finally able to provide something for my family! My wife works 12:00-9:00 PM so I have child care for my 8 month old daughter. The baby is where the summer went. I'm thinking about cutting wood to sell. We'll see how that goes. (Thinking to self.....I might need a bigger saw) :clap:

I do feel better after I started cutting, hauling, and splitting wood. I probably could loose 5-10 lbs. A couple of months ago I was over 200 lbs. I would like to be at 190 lbs.

Keep moving!

Dan

Last edited:
First off, way to go BuddaKat!!!! That is an inspiring tale- keep up the great work!!

I'm also 6'3" and 150 lbs. and in the same boat as bayshorecs and banshee- I can work out, drink, eat, what not and still weigh the same. In fact, I've weighed the same since high school and I'm 41 now. I'm an avid cyclist/swimmer (since college) and splittin' wood with an axe has helped a lot with upper body strength.

My cholesterol is wicked low (inherited) and I'm in better shape now than 10 (or 15 or 20) years ago. I don't think I'll have any serious medical problems in the future (neither does my doc) and I do an annual checkup (all of us should). My wife is a vegetarian and I eat beef/chicken/pork a couple of times a week. My diet is awesome (we do eat fish/dairy/eggs) as my wife is a runner and is diligent about getting the right amount of protein, carbs, etc. in our meals. I know I eat better since getting married to a vegetarian- I have more energy and a better attitude.

I'm not sure what Banshee's situation is, but us "skinny" guys got stick together. :cheers:

Thanks again for your post, it's very encouraging.

And 10 minutes isn't enough. :)
When I go see the nutritionist in Feb I'll ask about the problems from being underweight. I'll post the info when I get it.

You're right, 10 minutes isn't enough, but it's a start. The limiter in my case is my heart rate. Can't let it get too high.

I'm 32, 6", 155lbs, LOWER cholesterol than the doctor said was healthy, low blood pressure, and I smoke 2 packs a day and drink enough that if the doctor asks I divide it by 4 and her eyes still go all wide.
I could do with being a lot fitter though and though I'm strong enough for what my body needs to to in work and hobbies, a little more strength never went amiss?
On the other side, the rest of my family are (not hugely) overweight with high blood pressure and cholesterol - overeating and genetics I suppose.
I used to have ridiculous strength for my build - I could lift an entire VW engine and ancillaries into the back of my pickup in one quick lift, but couldn't run the length of myself. Then I got Labyrinthitis, pretty much had to lie or sit about for 6 months and now I am far weaker. Still can't run the length of myself. I was told by a bodybuilder/weight trainer that it's because I have a lot of "fast twitch" muscle fibres - lift a lot. But fewer "slow twitch" ones - can't lift it for long. :D
Time to start lifting, I suppose...

I'm 32, 6", 155lbs, LOWER cholesterol than the doctor said was healthy, low blood pressure, and I smoke 2 packs a day and drink enough that if the doctor asks I divide it by 4 and her eyes still go all wide.
I could do with being a lot fitter though and though I'm strong enough for what my body needs to to in work and hobbies, a little more strength never went amiss?
On the other side, the rest of my family are (not hugely) overweight with high blood pressure and cholesterol - overeating and genetics I suppose.
I used to have ridiculous strength for my build - I could lift an entire VW engine and ancillaries into the back of my pickup in one quick lift, but couldn't run the length of myself. Then I got Labyrinthitis, pretty much had to lie or sit about for 6 months and now I am far weaker. Still can't run the length of myself. I was told by a bodybuilder/weight trainer that it's because I have a lot of "fast twitch" muscle fibres - lift a lot. But fewer "slow twitch" ones - can't lift it for long. :D
Time to start lifting, I suppose...

You are a half a foot tall!?!?!?:confused: :confused:

Hope to hike to the top of Mt. Shasta this summer with some friends from work. Last summer was Mt. Whitney in one day, 22 miles round trip, top-o-the lower 48! Got some nasty elbow tendonitis which keeps flaring up after 2 cortisone shots, it is back for '09. Keeps me off the weights, bikes, tennis, and wood splitting, so I end up melting into my couch instead. Would love to get rid of it for good, doc says I'm getting to point of surgery, so if that would work, great. I guess more hiking is in the cards for now, and maybe carving some more downhill turns on the sector 9 longboard,(skate) which is crazy for a 44 year old. (but quite the workout)

Last edited:
When I go see the nutritionist in Feb I'll ask about the problems from being underweight. I'll post the info when I get it.

You're right, 10 minutes isn't enough, but it's a start. The limiter in my case is my heart rate. Can't let it get too high.

Thanks- I'd like to hear what you find out from the nutritionist.

Don't let that heart rate get too high... fun is fun but be careful out there. :)

Good Idea. But wow 185lbs? How tall are you. I've been over 185lbs since High School. I'm about 210 now, and don't feel I really need to loose any wieght.

Im 48 about 6' and according to a health evaluation I had at work they said I need to weigh 185. If I can get down to that by June I'll get an extra $60.

Then today at work they posted another weight program that starts next week. If you lose 10% by November you get $220. I kind of hate to diet this week until I weigh in. I said I was going to so I hate not to. I think I'll drink plenty of water before I weigh in.

I don't know what you guys that want to gain weight need to do. I've seen some thin guys gain weight and muscle on bodybuilding sites.

Ok I'm in on this one for quitting chewing, cutting back on beer and i need to loose 15 pounds or so. I'm a Journeyman Lineman but the last few years i was working for a company that hardly did any climbing of the wood poles and got out of shape. I was laughing at the getting a new chainsaw for meeting the goals but only cause the wife agreed to those terms this weekend. And i can have my new saw. And i know by quitting chewing and cutting back on drinking up here in Canada, will save me a ton considering beer is 40 bucks a 24 pack and chew is 17 bucks a can. I moved from Montana to Canada now i need to change my habits. Nows a good time to do it.

I am also a newbie at this Forum so Hello all and good luck

Ok I'm in on this one for quitting chewing, cutting back on beer and i need to loose 15 pounds or so. I'm a Journeyman Lineman but the last few years i was working for a company that hardly did any climbing of the wood poles and got out of shape. I was laughing at the getting a new chainsaw for meeting the goals but only cause the wife agreed to those terms this weekend. And i can have my new saw. And i know by quitting chewing and cutting back on drinking up here in Canada, will save me a ton considering beer is 40 bucks a 24 pack and chew is 17 bucks a can. I moved from Montana to Canada now i need to change my habits. Nows a good time to do it.

I am also a newbie at this Forum so Hello all and good luck

Good Lord, beer 40 bucks a case and chew 17 bucks a can. I would of had to file chapter 13 along time ago.LOL

Logging has pretty much stopped. So I'm not going up and down the units. My pants are getting tight and they are already bigger than they shoud be.
Can we girls play too?

I used to mark and cruise timber all day long and could eat anything and stay fit. I don't do that anymore, and the weight piled on. I've been one of those healthy fat people though. Blood pressure, much to the surprise of the medical profession, is OK. I can go up and down units all right and get a lot done but at my own pace. Last year I tried running saw to keep the weight down. It didn't work. By the time the pants were getting loose again, the snow had fallen and the logging outfits were pulling out and shutting down. I'm thinking about going to Weight Watchers.

My knees need to last a few more years.:eek:

Ok I am in too. I am 40 years old, 5'11" and currently 234 pounds. I would like to get down under 200 lbs. My wife and I bought our daughters a Wii fit and a couple of games for it. I did the initial testings and it said that I my fitness age was 57. I wonder if I could collect fitness social security if I eat more and up my age.... no, I would like to see my girls grow up.

About four years ago I was down in the upper 190's-lower 200's. I just made sure I did not eat three hours before I went to bed, cut back on excessive snacking and tried to eat better (salads and chicken, etc.) I think you should have one bad snack that you can have. Even when I was loosing alot of weight I still had a Little Debbie's brownie once in a while. It is just a matter of habit and self control. If you give up all the things you like (like drinking, smoking, eating bad foods) you will snap and might get mental about cheating on the diet that you could go the wrong way and just give up.

The real successful people that have lost weight and kept it off had to make life style changes. I think you just have to make them a little at a time so it is not a great blow to your system. I have tried to give up drinking caffeine beverages many times, the headaches and hell I put my family through when I went cold turkey was not pleasant. So I have been gradually been cutting back.

Latest posts

Back