201 mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl advertised the 200T as "The Ultimate top handle saw". And it really was/is. If it ain't broke , Don't fix it!
I have twin 200T's. Every day they are well fed, cleaned, and put safely to bed. But they ALWAYS wake up hungry :)

I think your rite, it wouldn't be a bad motorized hand saw , and it does have thinking, but the price is a lil steep for what it really is...

I work with a crew that has one, even with all my sarcastic clowning its the ,"go get saw for all the grounds men and the owner". It so small it looks like a toy. I will occasionally use it on small fruit trees in place of a hand saw. Those little teeth on the chain make nice cuts and you can poke that tapered bar into little spaces. a bigger saw wouldn't go. It is what it is. That same crew has a 201T that doesn't ever get picked up.

I have to confess, that lil 150 intrigues me. If it's as light as they say, with a couple mods it could be a great little gas powered silky for pruning! What's the thing weigh, like 5 pounds?

I love my handsaws, but for me a smaller chainsaw has none of the advantages of a handsaw. The handsaw weighs ounces, not pounds, it's silent, doesn't need to be started, gives surgical cuts, and leaves one hand free for other stuff. A good quality handsaw is every bit as fast as a 200T on small stuff, and is a pleasure to use. Best of all I don't need muffs! For me, once I have to pull out a chainsaw it doesn't matter so much if it's big or small. It's going to be a 200T for sure. Even if they made a 150 or a 192 or whatever that weighed only ounces, it's still the same deal for me; 200T all the way.

Shaun

I agree, I love it when I am on prunes and all I need is my Silky. No noise, just birds.

Could someone give me this Brads info, want to send him my 201, then my 200.

I love my handsaws, but for me a smaller chainsaw has none of the advantages of a handsaw. The handsaw weighs ounces, not pounds, it's silent, doesn't need to be started, gives surgical cuts, and leaves one hand free for other stuff. A good quality handsaw is every bit as fast as a 200T on small stuff, and is a pleasure to use. Best of all I don't need muffs! For me, once I have to pull out a chainsaw it doesn't matter so much if it's big or small. It's going to be a 200T for sure. Even if they made a 150 or a 192 or whatever that weighed only ounces, it's still the same deal for me; 200T all the way.

Shaun

Like said before...a 200/201 feels like a boat anchor after pruning with the 150 and if you think you are completing work as fast....all I can say is...

ignorance is bliss :pumpkin2:

Met Brad today like we met before at the Galbraith Road exit and got my 201 back and gave him my ms 150 to metamorphize (see ms 150 by Brad in "Chainsaw" forum). Cranked it a bit in park lot, paid up, but then anxiously took it straight to my business and the wood pile. Wasn't quite happy with the peak but it was obvious immediately that it was now "usable".

Tweaked the high in a little and quickly became happy with the peak in the wood but as always, if you peak out a tad too high the pay back is it will bogg a little off the line. It did. I am looking forward to taking it on a big td on Tues (huge ded elm) and will give a more accurate assessment after that. Reg Coates and I speak on emails and he said it will improve with use which I surmised. I want it to scream off the line like all the 200's I have ever had (maybe 20 or more over the years) but will be patient...because...

we have no other choice at this point. Thanks Brad :msp_smile: Got a new friend in the deal too.

Ms150?

I didnt even know that they had that little thing, going to go get one. It has a clip on the back?

Yeah Scott and my advice humbly is to put on a very light clip with no strap so as not to lose the balance and light weight. This saw is a bit of heaven in the day. Don't bicker with the price. Well worth it.

Theres a guy in Clyman WI (Dougs Saw Shop) that did the mods for me. Very happy with the results. Pete

I have a 200T, a 201, and a 192 on my bucket. use all 3 every day, because I can and they all have different uses. AND a brand new 261..... :msp_thumbup:
got another bin full of big saws, too. SO nice to not have to run mine.

I need to borrow the 201 one weekend and see how quick brad is...:hmm3grin2orange:

Ran my modded (by Brad) all week in storm damage this week, meaning a meeelion cuts and am very happy with it. Have yet to run the 150 but will today. Brad is a good guy you can completely trust.

Why does it turn a pict sideways?

Last edited:
good thread

I havnt used a 201 yet but will eventually. As some here know I still have a brand new 200 in my back pocket (not to rub it in or anything:msp_wink:) I will def keep this Brad fella in mind in the future. These are some dam good referrals. As for the 150, I have not tried one of those either but I do know that my aging shoulders thank me at the end of a day of trimming with my 192 vs doing it with a 200. so this 150 is interesting to me. And as much as I love and use my silkys,but when dead wooding a pin oak for instance, I really want a chainsaw. But a 200 is much more saw than required.

I have a lot of time on my 150 and it is a GREAT saw. Brad modded it last week and I have been busy w/ td's so haven't tried the new version. If anybody doesn't have one...get one. The 192 is a homeowner's saw.

I'd get a 150, but the Canadian local dealer price is sufficiently high (I didn't ask how much, and they didn't say) that they actually suggested I go to a 170 rear handle instead. Dealer said that Hydro One (utility co.) has bought a couple of 150s and thy are holding up well.

I'd get a 150, but the Canadian local dealer price is sufficiently high (I didn't ask how much, and they didn't say) that they actually suggested I go to a 170 rear handle instead. Dealer said that Hydro One (utility co.) has bought a couple of 150s and thy are holding up well.

Hey Dave, friend of mine got one for $450.00 Can. Dollars. They are holding up for hydro good because if they cut anything bigger then 2" that's a busy day for them! :msp_w00t:

my aging shoulders thank me at the end of a day of trimming with my 192 vs doing it with a 200. so this 150 is interesting to me. And as much as I love and use my silkys,but when dead wooding a pin oak for instance, I really want a chainsaw. But a 200 is much more saw than required.

Amen, I was thinking the same thing this week working with hedges.

I like my Snellorized 201 more each day and btw...what's a ms 200 anyhoo?

Hey Brad, told you (and anyone else for that matter) I'd send you a good Stihl parts source...Ron's Saw Shop 605 882 1234.

Actually found and bought 3 big rubber anti vibe mounts for my 090 AV vintage 1978 there when all hope was lost. This part fails with use so I bought all 3 they had and prob good enough for rest of my highly depreciated life.

Latest posts

Back