2101 leaks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdawg21

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve recently come into possession of a 2101 xp in great shape, starts first pull, however it leaks out of what I believe is the tank vent above the fill cap. If anyone has any advice or input on the cause or remedy of this issue Id be grateful.

Thanks

On top of the tank, under the airbox, above the filler cap is a tubular sintered bronze fuel tank breather.
Drop the tank to find out what is up- might be blocked, tube split or damaged.
Pretty sure its the same vent in the 480CD up to 2101, maybe even same in 180,280,380 but cannot be 100% sure without checking service manuals.

On top of the tank, under the airbox, above the filler cap is a tubular sintered bronze fuel tank breather.
Drop the tank to find out what is up- might be blocked, tube split or damaged.
Pretty sure its the same vent in the 480CD up to 2101, maybe even same in 180,280,380 but cannot be 100% sure without checking service manuals.
Thanks, I’m hoping it’s just the one on the pull cord side and not the clutch side

Hi all, I’ve recently come into possession of a 2101 xp in great shape, starts first pull, however it leaks out of what I believe is the tank vent above the fill cap. If anyone has any advice or input on the cause or remedy of this issue Id be grateful.

Thanks
Hi Sawdawg,have the same problem,initially thought it just a thirsty saw but lots of horizon cutting i was down to 2 trees per gallon,problen is when you have all the head gear on and your pushung 75 eye sight not so good at spotting drips,Going to send for another fuel line ,bit involves splitting tank from top but has to be done false economy otherwise...

Thank you ! Do you know if you have to split the case to get the tank out or does it just drop out on its own ?

Certainly no case splitting involved- just undo all the fasteners holding the tank to the cases and drop the fuel line grommet down into the void so you don't tear it yanking the tank down.
Find an exploded diagram- that will explain things better, but the bolts into the AV mounts are what holds the tank onto the crankcase.
You should be able to get away with easing the rear handle down and not drop the tank fully- but things are easier to handle if the tank is fully removed.

does the echo check valve fit underneath the carb/air box area or does it come up through

Here's a pic of what the installed check valve looks like in the assembled saw. The top of the valve is a little lower than the air box.

2100 echo check valve.jpg

The grommet I used has these dimensions

1684331420234.jpeg

A is 3/16"
B is 7/16"
C is 1/4"
D is 1/8"
E is 5/16"

A lot of grommets out there are butyl which won't last long. Make sure the material is BUNA-N, also called nitrile.

Here's a pic of what the installed check valve looks like in the assembled saw. The top of the valve is a little lower than the air box.

View attachment 1083379

The grommet I used has these dimensions

View attachment 1083386

A is 3/16"
B is 7/16"
C is 1/4"
D is 1/8"
E is 5/16"

A lot of grommets out there are butyl which won't last long. Make sure the material is BUNA-N, also called nitrile.
Perfect thanks for your help, dropped the tank today and it is indeed the vent having fallen Victim to rubber rot allowing gas to pass upwards around it, I’ll try to find or Order a grommet as well as the back check would you happen to have a part number for that echo valve

Perfect thanks for your help, dropped the tank today and it is indeed the vent having fallen Victim to rubber rot allowing gas to pass upwards around it, I’ll try to find or Order a grommet as well as the back check would you happen to have a part number for that echo valve

Echo Part # A356000031

The cost of those valves go from stupid high to somewhat reasonable. Check around. The ones from China if you can wait, are dirt cheap. I bought a few for around a $1 ea from China.

For the grommet you might try Tasco in Williams Lake: (250 ) 392-6232. Just make sure it's nitrile (BUNA N) and not butyl.

Back