2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my first 2100, bought in 1983. I have cut an awful lot of wood with this saw. I enjoyed rebuilding it. It is mechanically new again.
Beautiful saw:clap: Love the bar, and like your custom cover under the air filter, great idea, and very nice look.

Beautiful saw:clap: Love the bar, and like your custom cover under the air filter, great idea, and very nice look.

Thanks. It runs like new. That's just an old Oregon bar, ( a 34") with a fresh pass on the big belt sander. I sand them after the paint wears. It keeps them easy to clean.
The piece under the filter is just to keep things from filling with saw cuttings, and dust. The old saw is going back to work.
I am putting the other old 2100 back together tomorrow, but I am still lacking a cylinder for it. I am trying a couple of new ideas on it. I will post some photos later.

Welcome my friend, mine has a 34 inch oregon as well. Really a nice fit on those saws. Yeap love the plate idea, and the polished bar look! I will keep ears open for cylinders.

294930d1366521597-dscf4250-jpg

It's an oak. Was forked just above Norm's head. BIG sucker. We'd already cut the beams off. Where Norm was cutting, it was about 42"x32" or so. Oblong. When he made the first face cut water was gushing out.

Same tree here. Doesn't look like it, but the bit I'm cutting here is about 30" accross. The stump where Norm had been cutting is to the right and beyond me (camera's view of it is blocked by my slim/trim frame).:D

294931d1366520088-dscf4263-jpg

Last edited:
294930d1366521597-dscf4250-jpg

It's an oak. Was forked just above Norm's head. BIG sucker. We'd already cut the beams off. Where Norm was cutting, it was about 42"x32" or so. Oblong. When he made the first face cut water was gushing out.

Same tree here. Doesn't look like it, but the bit I'm cutting here is about 30" accross. The stump where Norm had been cutting is to the right and beyond me (camera's view of it is blocked by my slim/trim frame).:D

294931d1366520088-dscf4263-jpg
When i thought it might be a walnut, I was looking at the white looking bark, and figuring it to be a back yard tree. But now I see it as an oak.
It must be a live oak, now i see the red cambium. When I lived in Monterey county, I cut tons of big big Live Oaks. They can be tricky to fall (too much weight, up high and out.) They can stall, spin, and fool you, making you dance around the stump. They, and some big White oaks were the reason for my 2100 purchases way back then. I have seen water run out of them for 30 minutes after they are cut down. The Live Oak, or "Red" oak is the heaviest firewood when green. Sometimes 6000lbs per cord. I used to have to weigh truckloads sometimes.
Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:
294932d1363571086-dscf4132-jpg

Our climber (Brian.........the guy up in the Eucs in one of Norm's other pics above) dropped the top and the beams in sections. The leftover section of that big oak that Norm falled here was about 12-15' tall...:D

This was indeed some HEAVY wood. We filled two dump trailers and a pickup bed, and left the rest for the homeowner. Dragged and chipped the brush.

2101xpw

Hey Norm,
Here is the 2101 I am working on. I am trying to take it from beat up old muscle, to cleaned up old muscle. Also another 1983 2100CD that is waiting for parts. Shane is sending me a jug, and some other parts for the 2100.

dammit dan. those are some purty saws. a lot of work in what your doing but looks nice :msp_thumbup: I have totally lost patience in repainting mostly because no time. rather use my spare time running them or on AS ;) what kind of paint are you using? I've tried many different paints and none held up. I think the best one for me was plasti-cote engine paint. after numerous attempts to make a saw look new and stay looking new I gave up deciding that powdercoat was the only option. also what do you use for prep? I always just used a dremel to clean everything up then brake clean. looks like from the paint being gone from inside the crankcase you used paint stripper then did your prep. either way looks like your doing one hell of a good job :cheers:

dammit dan. those are some purty saws. a lot of work in what your doing but looks nice :msp_thumbup: I have totally lost patience in repainting mostly because no time. rather use my spare time running them or on AS ;) what kind of paint are you using? I've tried many different paints and none held up. I think the best one for me was plasti-cote engine paint. after numerous attempts to make a saw look new and stay looking new I gave up deciding that powdercoat was the only option. also what do you use for prep? I always just used a dremel to clean everything up then brake clean. looks like from the paint being gone from inside the crankcase you used paint stripper then did your prep. either way looks like your doing one hell of a good job :cheers:

It is allot of time and work. I have tried a few paints. I have found catalyzed Polyurethane to be tough enough, and it dries the fastest. That is what is originality on allot of the saws.
I use paint stripper mixed with xylol to prep. It takes everything off. That, and a wire brush gets the parts clean.
Powder coat is an option, if money is no concern. I have never wanted to pay what it costs.

Tramp it was a bizare trunk that is for sure! Dan saweet saws my friend, and looking good, real good they are:cool2::msp_thumbsup:Aaron thanks for chiming in, and posting them pics nice and large! That watery bastard, had to clean up my saws after:msp_tongue: Yesterday was a good day, and loved running the 288! Hey great to see u all my friends, been having computer issues. But Jeanne ran to town, so snuck on hers:msp_razz::cool2:

Lookin' for a nice, clean and straight, even minty 2101XP, perhaps a 2100, preferably original condition.....

Anyone gots one...??

Thanks.
Can't say I blame you buddy! I love em! Hey great to see you all my friends, thanks for thread bump, and thanks for sharing the Canada saw ad, my laptop be hear soon, and I will be a regular again!

Latest posts

Back