2101xp/ top all time muscle saws!!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For sure man. Ive seen three finds like that, and never had the ##@@ cash the way stuff goes. The first was when I moved to Mendocino county six years ago. Went into rainbow ag in Ukiah to look at there saw's of course. I saw a brand new 288xp full wrap with a 32in bar. My jaw hit the floor, that's one I have to own someday. I always wanted one. The sales guy said when the 372 came out, and got popular that ended up back in the warehouse, and was forgotten about. Then about 2-3 years ago saw a 288 unfired on ebay. Then that 2100 or 2101 one of the two it was. Just dindn't think those finds were possible.

Almost forgot, been picking my brain lately trying to remember a Homelite I used to have. Bought at a yardsale for 50 bucks, must have been 1997-98 It reminded me of my 056 super size weight power. Powerhead about the same size too. Had a 36in bar roller tip. Long story short I left it at my dads over a weekend the basement flooded. Did the best I could do to clean it back then with what I knew. Got it running, thought I had it, and it seized up. Bummed me out really bad I really liked it. Dind't know what I know now, or any of you guy's so ended up junking it. I wish I woulda kept it could have fixed it now with youre guy's help. But I cant remember the model to save my life seems to me it was not an xl model, but powerhead was red not a blue one. Any ideas? I would like to give that one credit at least I thought it was a muscle saw!

Almost forgot, been picking my brain lately trying to remember a Homelite I used to have. Bought at a yardsale for 50 bucks, must have been 1997-98 It reminded me of my 056 super size weight power. Powerhead about the same size too. Had a 36in bar roller tip. Long story short I left it at my dads over a weekend the basement flooded. Did the best I could do to clean it back then with what I knew. Got it running, thought I had it, and it seized up. Bummed me out really bad I really liked it. Dind't know what I know now, or any of you guy's so ended up junking it. I wish I woulda kept it could have fixed it now with youre guy's help. But I cant remember the model to save my life seems to me it was not an xl model, but powerhead was red not a blue one. Any ideas? I would like to give that one credit at least I thought it was a muscle saw!

Oh Norm. That makes me sick to hear it.:(

Probably was a C7/71/72 or C9/91 C-Series, an XP1000/1020/1050, or an XL900-series such as a Super XL 925. I'd have headed up to Hopland to help you fix it...........or at least snagged parts from it. 36" roller nose bar? You junked that too? Crikey...:msp_scared:

Well atleast it was around 1998 when I junked it, makes me feel a little better. If it was recetly that would be just dumb! LOL! Dindt know that stuff was salvagable then. Man it bug's me that I can't remember the model, definately rule out a xl 925, Because my father in law has one, and Ive run it. It was bigger, and more powerful, at least as much as a 56 maybe more. It definately felt like a hot rod!

Well atleast it was around 1998 when I junked it, makes me feel a little better. If it was recetly that would be just dumb! LOL! Dindt know that stuff was salvagable then. Man it bug's me that I can't remember the model, definately rule out a xl 925, Because my father in law has one, and Ive run it. It was bigger, and more powerful, at least as much as a 56 maybe more. It definately felt like a hot rod!

Crikey. If it was bigger and more powerful than an XL925, then it was probably a 6.1ci/100cc Homellite XP1000, XP1020, or 1050. Did it have a comp release? That would have made it a 7ci/115cc Homelite 2000 or 2100. I'd have given you $50 for it in siezed condition just for the RN bar and the carburetor. That's what I paid for my well worn (smoked P/C) Homelite XP1020 from a CL seller because it has a full wrap and a nice 30" Cannon RN. Don't feel too bad....................I've made some bonehead moves like that which I still regret. I think everybody has...:dizzy:

Yeah, wish I woulda kept it, and All my buddies at the time were running Stihl, and Husqvarna so nobody wanted parts. What is a good place on the web to see all the Pics? Of the Homelite's you mentioned? Because I may recognize it. I know this one really stood out to me, because it was a time when I was already into Stihl, and Getting into Husky, and I was real bummed out it seized, and it was impressive. Was there a 725 or something close, but under the 750, and not like a newer xl. The xl,s where the newer models, right?

Yeah, wish I woulda kept it, and All my buddies at the time were running Stihl, and Husqvarna so nobody wanted parts. What is a good place on the web to see all the Pics? Of the Homelite's you mentioned? Because I may recognize it. I know this one really stood out to me, because it was a time when I was already into Stihl, and Getting into Husky, and I was real bummed out it seized, and it was impressive. Was there a 725 or something close, but under the 750, and not like a newer xl. The xl,s where the newer models, right?

Different saw families. Did it look similar to a 750? Could have been a 650. 6.1ci/100cc like the 1050. the 450/550/650/750 family was the newest of the Homelite saws you mentioned. The XL700/800/900 series are older, as is the C/XP series saws.

I'm thinking it was probably a 1050. Go to Acres Internet Solutions and check out the 'chainsaws' section. There's an index by manufactures. Page through it and click 'Homelite. The Homelite list isn't well organized, but you'll find 1050, 650, and other listings. Not every one has a photo (or info) however. It's still a work in progress, and has several errors. It's still a great resource however.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...da23a6be0917f80288256c2600149e56?OpenDocument

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...29f7cc7d4279fc0988256c260014ff02?OpenDocument

The XP1000-1050 saws look similar to the 2100 in the pic above, but without a comp release. For some reason, the XP1000-1050 pics on Acres' site seem to be all gone now...

Last edited:
I know you guys have all heard the stories. When I lived on the Olympic Peninsula, many of my friends were cedar rats. They would basically buy the big old Macs and Homelites to cut with. When they would finally die they'd just toss them. About the only saw they would keep running would be the 090G's. Back then I didn't care either. Ah hindsight.

Thanks Aron, been looking on the chainsaw guy shop talk for the last hour. He had most of what you mentioned. Im gonna try the site you pointed out next. Definately wasn't as new looks wise as the 650-750 I would say early to mid 70's, and 100cc sounds about right, because I had the 056 at the time, and this old homelite surprised me on the power, and speed. The air filter cover I remember was low profile, and square pretty flat. Definately was not gear drive. The bar looked original, and was a 36in roller nose that caught my attention to, because we all had sprocket nose at the time. And Ive run the xl925, and that dind't ring a bell I dont think anyway, how many cc is the 925?

Thanks Aron, been looking on the chainsaw guy shop talk for the last hour. He had most of what you mentioned. Im gonna try the site you pointed out next. Definately wasn't as new looks wise as the 650-750 I would say early to mid 70's, and 100cc sounds about right, because I had the 056 at the time, and this old homelite surprised me on the power, and speed. The air filter cover I remember was low profile, and square pretty flat. Definately was not gear drive. The bar looked original, and was a 36in roller nose that caught my attention to, because we all had sprocket nose at the time. And Ive run the xl925, and that dind't ring a bell I dont think anyway, how many cc is the 925?

5.01ci/82cc.

Thanks, my father in law has a nice one. I got all serviced up for him. I never shoulda brought up my old Homy, now it's buggin the #### outa me! Cant remember the model

While looking for that model I used to have, I browsed through the Homelite's, and Mac's, and other saw's on the chain saw guy's shop talk. Saw some cool saw's, some I had forgotten about. One I remember well, and was very popular in my area was the o56's. I used to have an 056 super. I always wanted one from the last run of em. I believe it was the 056mag2 If I am correct. Glad the 66's came around though. One saw I gotta have some day is a clean 288xp!

I am adding the mighty 288xp to the all time Muscle saw list. It can cut along side a 660, and 2101, and very well I might add. Her are my personal pics for myself The 2101- the 660 the 288xp.

I've got to run a 125 mac and that would be the top of my list right now. The 084/880s and 3120s are alright but didn't think they had the oomph the 125 had. THe P62 pioneer seemed like it would hold it's own with the 084s and 880s that were stock. I would like to throw a 125 in a big log with say a 4' bar and let it eat.

I was set on buying a 2101 this winter and the thing would run and start but not cut with power. A guy tested it out at that dealer and run it dry of gas and sucked trash into something. It was sold when I got back off a job after he cleaned the carb.

There is only one top all time Muscle saw on my list,,,,,Sachs 166.

But I might be slightly biased:yoyo:

I have a red light 066 with a unlimited coil, and now that my 064 is running good I will say, the old 064 is a monster, not quite as much grunt as my 066 or 2100xp but with 30" of bar burried she sings a bit higher tune and if you cut right with it it will beat my 66.

I bet at 42+ it would be all husky though.

I just noodled with a stock 2100 with a 32" bar, a ported 2100 with a 42" bar, and my 066mag with a 36". All were using 3/8 full skip and were buried in red fir. They all seemed to cut about the same, even with the 066's more aggressive RPM. The 2100's clutch cover plugged up much more and faster than the 066.

Mdavlee, too bad that one sold before you could grab it, you wont be dissapointed if you get one. Sachsmo I would love to have a 166 in my lineup. Dragrcr, and Sawfun9 I ama 066-660 lover to ther core I use mine all the time, and my buddy Parmeter has two, one we are running a 48in canon bar on, and it still eat's wood. Never run a 064 hear they are great. Everybody around here has a 660, and I mean everybody. I went to my saw shop with my 372 the yard sale one grabbed a chain, and one of the mechanics there used to fall timber for years. He looked at the 372 he said man great saw's. I introduce myself, because I could'nt remember his name, and I said you remember me I brought in the 2101. He spun around, and his eyes lit up, he smiled from ear to ear, and said you now the sound nothing else like one, and he told me all the timber he fell with one. He said he ran one for 17 years, and it was a hell of a saw nothing like it!

slowly getting my 2100 back together. still waiting on a few O rings for the manual oil pump and a clutch cover side bar guide plate. will look for a chain brake band tomorrow while out looking for parts for Poulan 4000 and Echo cs 650 evl. Unfortunately I have to buy a 4 wheeler and have to sell some of my toys, but hope I can hang onto the 2100.

Latest posts

Back