2152 or 280 or 260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50cc saw's are all so close like splitting hairs. I have never tried any of the super 50cc saw's like the 5100 or 2153/Ne 346, But I have used the 026/260 2152. The Stihl is a tad lighter the Jred is smoother better anti vibe. I don't think one will out last the other. As to 3/8ths I tried my 15'' bar from my 2159 on the 2152 and was impressed but the saw has a muffler mod only a extra 3/8 ths hole:) I have to do some more playing around to see if it is really faster or it is in my mind. I did find I can power out the saw a bit using the 3/8 chain. Both using a 7 pin rim if I don't put pressure on the saw the 3/8 seems to cut faster. But then it's just a fire wood saw and here I am splitting hairs!

Small Stihl, Dolmar and the huksy/jred(s) have the power to pull a 3/8", all my chains are 3/8", I can grab a 3/8" file and cut all day. If I want to put the 361's 20" 3/8 bar on the 026 and limb, or opposite, I won't have to worry about the rim or chain not fitting in the field. Just the ease of having the same chain..........for all saws.

Maybe you should do some timed cuts in some hardwood thats over 6" before you make a statement like that. Steve

Maybe you should do some timed cuts in some hardwood thats over 6" before you make a statement like that. Steve
Your right I should have added I was cutting small wood 10'' max. I am still playing with my combo here. But the saw does normally were a 18'' .325 bar and I am happy with it. On full length bar cuts I will stick to the woodsman skip .325 chain really like that stuff on the little saws and big wood.
P.S I know you didn't aim that post at me lol

Last edited:

Timed cuts my arse, you keep that .325 on yours and I will use 3/8 as I have been. I zip off 2" limbs and bury the 16" bar in all kinds of wood, I could care less if the .325 is .00067 of a second faster.:monkey:

If the saw is for your father, definitely go for a saw with the best anti-vibe. I don't know anything about the antivibe on the 280, but the antivibe on the 2152/3 is best in class, and the antivibe on the 260 is a badly dated design that even Stihl is fast abandoning.

Timed cuts my arse, you keep that .325 on yours and I will use 3/8 as I have been. I zip off 2" limbs and bury the 16" bar in all kinds of wood, I could care less if the .325 is .00067 of a second faster.:monkey:
You wanna saw your twigs, go ahead. Before I put a 325 on my Husky55 53cc my little Echo CS440 45cc was beating the snot out of it in timed cuts, Husky55 21 seconds Echo CS440 16 seconds, in case you can't figure that out thats WAY more than .00067 of a second. That's cutting bigger oak, not 2 " twigs. Now with the 325 on the Husky 55 it cuts a little faster than the Echo CS440. Maybe that's why I take the Echo saw with me to the woods. Steve

The Echo is a well built saw, but power is chitty to say it nice. There is something wrong with your 55 if that echo got even close to it. Maybe your ears are full of wax, or ****, but I bury the 16" and have buried a 20" 3/8 on the 026, no problem, is there a better saw to use for the 20"?, yes, but it can be done. I have cut wood bigger than you have ever seen, much more than what those little echos are capable of.

If the saw is for your father, definitely go for a saw with the best anti-vibe. I don't know anything about the antivibe on the 280, but the antivibe on the 2152/3 is best in class, and the antivibe on the 260 is a badly dated design that even Stihl is fast abandoning.

Ya but what isn't out dated on a Stihl? lol Someone had to say it!

Last edited:
You wanna saw your twigs, go ahead. Before I put a 325 on my Husky55 53cc my little Echo CS440 45cc was beating the snot out of it in timed cuts, Husky55 21 seconds Echo CS440 16 seconds, in case you can't figure that out thats WAY more than .00067 of a second. That's cutting bigger oak, not 2 " twigs. Now with the 325 on the Husky 55 it cuts a little faster than the Echo CS440. Maybe that's why I take the Echo saw with me to the woods. Steve
I have ran a 440 Echo and it is clearly a better saw than most 45 cc saw's easily beat the mighty 250 Stihl but so did my 295 Poulan! I embarrassed the owner of that P of S 250 enough he brought it back to get a 260:popcorn: And yep that 260 will easily keep up to my 2152 good saw that 260 is. except it is ugly but beauty is in the eye of the be holder.

The Echo is a well built saw, but power is chitty to say it nice. There is something wrong with your 55 if that echo got even close to it. Maybe your ears are full of wax, or ****, but I bury the 16" and have buried a 20" 3/8 on the 026, no problem, is there a better saw to use for the 20"?, yes, but it can be done. I have cut wood bigger than you have ever seen, much more than what those little echos are capable of.

Sure you can bury the bar on the 026 but it's not cutting very fast, explain why that MS290 was such a dog in big oak, it ran good, did putting a 325 on my Husky 55 make it run better, I better tell you it made it cut WAY faster not run better. You don't know anything about Echo saws, I OWN Stihl Husky Echo Dolmar Solo and Efco and compare them in timed cuts in real wood. Steve

Last edited:
. You don't know anything about Echo saws, I OWN Stihl Husky Echo Dolmar Solo and Efco and compare them in timed cuts in real wood. Steve

Yada, yada, yada. I have a cs346 and have a friend that has a 670. They are built better than the pull on's and such but their power is not up to par. Why do you think echo is not talked about much here? I mean this is only the biggest collection of saw nuts on the web........

Yada, yada, yada. I have a cs346 and have a friend that has a 670. They are built better than the pull on's and such but their power is not up to par. Why do you think echo is not talked about much here? I mean this is only the biggest collection of saw nuts on the web........

To make a CS670 really cut it needs a muffler mod and some work on the choked up intake like a carb from a CS8000, CS 346 is a runt and I don't know anything about. I haven't heard why my 55 cuts a LOT faster with a 325 in real wood yet. Steve

Thanks again for all the input, even all the off topic rants which are inevitably entertaining. I ended up going for the 2153, picked it up yesterday. He dropped his price to $479, which made the decision easier. I also just went for the .325 chain.. Definitely tired of all the arguments on which chain is better for 50cc range, so guess I have to figure this one out for myself! I look forward to taking the 2153 with .325 head to head with my 5100 3/8, when both chains are sharp, to really see if there is a difference.. I'll post the results when that happens.
-Todd

nice saw

you and your dad cutting together let the war begain:sword: hope you both enjoy the saw safe cutting

jd cs52

:popcorn: :givebeer: :popcorn: let vhis that aint a reall saw argument loose. if i needed a good 11 pound firewood saw this is it. they have a mag case and are better built then a pollon and are a screamer with a none safety chain. any small saw does better if the right type of chain is use. saw manufactures put safety chain on for their protection not yours. a safety chain properly sharpen will cut most the chain from the factory is dull for a reason :chainsaw: <<<<-----

http://www.deere.com/specsapp/Custo...ro-Series&#8482; Chain Saw&tM=HO&pNbr=UT10952

THANKS for all the replies.. First question is -- what are the big advantages of the 2153 over 52? The dealer had a 53 (also .325 though) and could only tell me it ran at a higher rpm, no other difference. He wanted $500 though, which I thought was too much of a difference ($70) for just the ups in RPM. At $500, its basically a direct comparison to the Stihl 260 in price. .....

There is a very notisable difference in power (at all rpms) as well, more than the specs indicate.

The 2153 is a much better saw than any you mentined initially, as is the NE Husky 346xp. The only true competitor they have is the 5100S, and they are lighter and better handling saws.........:clap: :clap:

Thanks again for all the input, even all the off topic rants which are inevitably entertaining. I ended up going for the 2153, picked it up yesterday. He dropped his price to $479, which made the decision easier. I also just went for the .325 chain.. Definitely tired of all the arguments on which chain is better for 50cc range, so guess I have to figure this one out for myself! I look forward to taking the 2153 with .325 head to head with my 5100 3/8, when both chains are sharp, to really see if there is a difference.. I'll post the results when that happens.
-Todd

You did it all right!

You actually have to try it yourself, to really know.

Hopefully, that .325 setup isn't Narrow Kerf.........

Well, that's just it.. The 260 "pro" has less power, both in CC's and HP at the chain than the 280, but costs $70 more. It is .3 lbs lighter. Gotta be some good reasons why its almost 20% more money and has less power, other than the fact that its about a whopping 5 ounces lighter!

The weight difference is much more than that, and then there are the bulk difference.........

Back