2153 muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONSSTIHL

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my non cat muffler mod. Similar to brad's only mine is tig welded. I didn't want to deal with screws backing out and I had no screen for it.

I know there should be a screen on there but the reason I decided to do the mod was because I snapped the screw holding the screen on the original port and drilling and tapping it didn't go so well. so I ended up with a stock muffler with no screen so I figured why not.

this is after two coats of flat black high temp paint.

tuning will happen tomorrow when the weather warms up a little and the paint dries.

Attachments

• IMG_2905.JPG
    IMG_2905.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 147
p/n of deflector I used is 503 58 99 01 but there wasn't much left of it after I fit it to the muffler. I cut the flange off the back and the flange across the front.

Looks good!I had a few cat mufflers,so I cut the deflector off opened the inside up and mounted it to non cat mufflers like you did.Just need to make sure it's mounted high enough on the muffler.

Got the saw back together and tuned it and so far it seems hard to get to bog in the cut and it is not much louder than before so I'm happy. I still have a limited coil so I tuned it to 13900rpm to be safe, any higher and the tach goes crazy.

I guess I should invest in a black coil for this saw.

Thanks,

I can't take credit for the welding work but the fit up and paint was all my doing.

I didn't run it for very long but at one point the muffler started smoking so I gave it a break. I think it helped cure the paint a little. I hope it doesn't start flaking off

here are a few shots with the muffler mounted on the saw to show what sort of clearances we have to deal with . It seems quite a bit stronger. I didn't go too wild with the size of the hole under the deflector. I have run 3/8 chain since I got the saw and it always seemed that the 3/8 chain was a little too much with a 16" bar in larger hardwoods but I don't think that will be a problem anymore.

IMG_2906.JPG IMG_2907.JPG IMG_2906.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2908.JPG
    IMG_2908.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 7
I ran it a little bit at the NY GTG but something wasn't quite right so I put it away until I had time to look at it.

I thought it might have been bad gas but turns out it just needed a new fuel filter.

I put it to work this weekend cutting a 15 inch dia yellow birch that blew over. It sure does run well. I run my saw with 3/8 pitch and I always felt like maybe the 3/8 was a little too much for the stock saw. I always had to take it easy because it would bog easily in big wood. Now that is no longer an issue. It pulls strong.

can't wait to get rid of the base gasket and see what kind of gains can be had from that.

how do the gains from muffler modding compare to the gains from deleteing the base gasket on the 346/2153 saws

sorry, no time to shoot videos. I'm still cutting wood for this winter so wood cutting is moving up the priority list

Latest posts

Back