2171 leaking fuel, dying after good cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walexa07

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Awesome forum........wish I contributed more than I take from here but my experience is limited. Thanks in advance for advice!

2171 leaks fuel when laid on clutch cover side. New fuel line and it seals well to fuel tank. What else could it be?

Also, I put a new meteor piston kit in this saw........cranks easy, runs good, idles good........but after a good cut it wants to bog and die. I've leaned out the low speed jet a little because it was a bit sluggish on acceleration. Now it accelerates great, but wants to die. Otherwise it runs great.

One last thing that I wonder if it could be causing this: I just switched over to running 100LL since the fuel is so stable. I have run it for years in a 2-stroke atv I have.......it can sit for a couple years and fire right back up. Could this fuel cause jetting problems? I also used the same fuel in my 361 but with no problems.

Waylan

Ok, is it normal for the tank vent to leak when laid on that side or does it have a check valve or what? How does the tank vent get replaced?

Could the tank vent problem also not be allowing enough air into the tank fast enough........causing stall after long good cut? Thanks.

Waylan

Ok, is it normal for the tank vent to leak when laid on that side or does it have a check valve or what? How does the tank vent get replaced?

Could the tank vent problem also not be allowing enough air into the tank fast enough........causing stall after long good cut? Thanks.

Waylan
Check if you have a pressure buildup in your tank by removing the cap slowly .Yes,you can replace the air vent located on brake side in the upper part of the tank,recessed in a round hole.To remove them ,use a metal screw that will self tap and pull the 2 dimes with a plier.

Is the tank vent original equipment of something someone might have improvised. The vent should hold moderate pressure in the tank but allow air to enter as fuel is used preventing a vacuum. Sometimes they get plugged and dont vent. Usually if they are leaking they dont fail to vent unless someone has monkeyed with them.

Latest posts

Back