22 blue bins = 1 face cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepheniox

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is my second year burning. Last year we put the stove in half way through the season and I could not figure how much wood we used. I have a wood shed that holds 12 face cords (2 six cord piles) but I am an arborist and will bring in freshly cut extremely dry pieces if I am cutting dead trees. I bring the wood to the basement using a blue bin so I kept track of how many blue bins I needed for 2 piles (4 face cords). I hauled in 90 blue bins so that means 22 blue bins = 1 face cord. I also have another list of how many blue bins of wood does not come from the wood shed so now I'll be able to figure it all out in the spring. Just thought I would share here because most of my friends do not burn wood and they did not really seem to care about my findings. I think these findings will revalutionize the way everyone keeps track of how much wood they burn. Or maybe I should just get a hobby like my buddies said I should do.

In addition to face cords, ricks, ronks, truckloads, piles, etc, we now can add blue bins as an accepted firewood measurement.

images

This is my second year burning. Last year we put the stove in half way through the season and I could not figure how much wood we used. I have a wood shed that holds 12 face cords (2 six cord piles) but I am an arborist and will bring in freshly cut extremely dry pieces if I am cutting dead trees. I bring the wood to the basement using a blue bin so I kept track of how many blue bins I needed for 2 piles (4 face cords). I hauled in 90 blue bins so that means 22 blue bins = 1 face cord. I also have another list of how many blue bins of wood does not come from the wood shed so now I'll be able to figure it all out in the spring. Just thought I would share here because most of my friends do not burn wood and they did not really seem to care about my findings. I think these findings will revalutionize the way everyone keeps track of how much wood they burn. Or maybe I should just get a hobby like my buddies said I should do.

that makes my head hurt

I think the op was stating that he's trying to figure out how much wood he uses. He at least has a "standard" measurement he's using to get to a "standard" measurement the rest of us understand :) it'll be great when he says "i used 23 cords of wood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" in his title this spring :)

In addition to face cords, ricks, ronks, truckloads, piles, etc, we now can add blue bins as an accepted firewood measurement.

images

I know were there is a ton of these things are...just think of the potential ya drive around delivering wood in these things...it will never get wet...Brilliant!
:clap:

Not sure where in Ontario you are, but here in Renfrew County it is bush cords and we use blue boxes for cans,bottles and paper going to the recycle.

Attention all cord abusers. Pay close attention. There is no face cord, blue bin, rick, rack, randy, pit, banana cord, or chopped liver wood. There is and will be only one meausre for firewood or pulp wood: THE CORD. Now it is:
A PILE OF WOOD IN ANY FORM WHOSE VOLUME IN MEASURING EQUALS 128 CUBIC FEET.
Allowed is any pile/stack/holz whatever/storage that can be ( hear this clearly )
4 feet x 4 feet x 8 feet

This is an order: there will be no other accepted measures in this continent.

You are dismissed.

I love it it, you guys spend so much effort calculating wood amounts. I can understand this if you are buying or selling wood, but come on. It seems to be a bit of an obsession. I have wood stacked in a primary location on my place, but then there is more stacked in lots of other places in various size stacks.Then other places where fresh wood is cut down but not stacked. At any one time I can only estimate (guess) how many cords I have on hand (I use the big step = 3 feet method for measuring length). I'm ok with that as long as I have enough wood to get me through the season. I bet some of you have it down to the nearest cubic foot burned in a season.:dizzy:

images

Wrong type of blue bin....I think he is talking about the Walmart Tupperware blue bin tote cord, not the Recycling blue bin cord......Get your ducks in a row before you post nonsense pictures like that again. :deadhorse:

View attachment 167939

In all seriousness, I am gonna attempt to solve this riddle.

Shed=12 face cords.

12 face cords=6 cords (2-6 cord piles, here I will assume he meant 2 piles of 6 face cord. Otherwise, he means a face cord is a cord)

Heres where things get tricky,

Brings in the home using the Blue Bin Method,

90 blue bins = 2 plies, each of 4 face cord......what the hell, I thought the piles were 6 face cord each? :dizzy:

so 90/4=22.5 x6(the number of facecord outside, before they magically shrink)=135.....now divide the 135 by .25 the circumfurance of the corners since they are rounded corners, I am gonna use the number 7 because it looks pretty, so 135/1.75 equals 77.1......Now as anyone with a scientific calculator and cuts firewood there is a log button on the calculator, so you have to press this to find out the true number of blue bins, which is 1.88 blue bins per cord. And thats that.

167939d1294697333-0007314994510_180x180-jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 167939

In all seriousness, I am gonna attempt to solve this riddle.

Shed=12 face cords.

12 face cords=6 cords (2-6 cord piles, here I will assume he meant 2 piles of 6 face cord. Otherwise, he means a face cord is a cord)

Heres where things get tricky,

Brings in the home using the Blue Bin Method,

90 blue bins = 2 plies, each of 4 face cord......what the hell, I thought the piles were 6 face cord each? :dizzy:

so 90/4=22.5 x6(the number of facecord outside, before they magically shrink)=135.....now divide the 135 by .25 the circumfurance of the corners since they are rounded corners, I am gonna use the number 7 because it looks pretty, so 135/1.75 equals 77.1......Now as anyone with a scientific calculator and cuts firewood there is a log button on the calculator, so you have to press this to find out the true number of blue bins, which is 1.88 blue bins per cord. And thats that.

167939d1294697333-0007314994510_180x180-jpg

Are you gettin your stuff with a perscription or off the street?????LOL

Attention all cord abusers. Pay close attention. There is no face cord, blue bin, rick, rack, randy, pit, banana cord, or chopped liver wood. There is and will be only one meausre for firewood or pulp wood: THE CORD. Now it is:
A PILE OF WOOD IN ANY FORM WHOSE VOLUME IN MEASURING EQUALS 128 CUBIC FEET.
Allowed is any pile/stack/holz whatever/storage that can be ( hear this clearly )
4 feet x 4 feet x 8 feet

This is an order: there will be no other accepted measures in this continent.

You are dismissed.

Just because you can't comprehend it doesn't mean its not accepted and requested out in the real world. Maybe too many different regional names hurt your pretty little head? HEAR THIS CLEARLY, I'LL CALL IT A PILE O' FIRE MAKERS IF I WANT, **********!

they did not really seem to care about my findings

And we do?

Honestly, if you want us to care, and you want some attention, you have to convey your message clearly. Was the entire point of your post to convey that 22 blue bins (an arbitrary measurement) equals 1 face cord (also an arbitrary measurement).

That's like me saying that 4,182 puddles of water equals a lake. :laugh:

Just because you can't comprehend it doesn't mean its not accepted and requested out in the real world. Maybe too many different regional names hurt your pretty little head? HEAR THIS CLEARLY, I'LL CALL IT A PILE O' FIRE MAKERS IF I WANT, **********!

Since you live out in the real world obviously, when was the last time somebody asked you for a blue bin full of wood.......Did they want all hard wood or mixed? Does dry wood fit better in a blue bin?:laugh:

Latest posts

Back