22 blue bins = 1 face cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch

When did this site turn so ugly..... If it works for him then good for him. I measure my yearly usage in how much is left in the wood shed come spring. But then I do not have the same problem as he did where he adds to the wood shed all winter long. How much you burned in a year can give you a lot of info. Like how much you saved on the heating bill that year and how much you would have to buy if you stopped cutting for yourself. All good information if you care to know it.

When did this site turn so ugly..... If it works for him then good for him. I measure my yearly usage in how much is left in the wood shed come spring. But then I do not have the same problem as he did where he adds to the wood shed all winter long. How much you burned in a year can give you a lot of info. Like how much you saved on the heating bill that year and how much you would have to buy if you stopped cutting for yourself. All good information if you care to know it.

I dont think anybody would dispute that if it works for him measure his wood this way, great for him....But to come on here and say that 22 blue bins equal one cord because of this and that with numbers that must have something to do with one another and that this means that. Well its really hard to follow and doesnt make much sense to anybody but him. We are just giving him a hard time. Cheers to him if it work, just busting his balls.

This is my second year burning. Last year we put the stove in half way through the season and I could not figure how much wood we used. I have a wood shed that holds 12 face cords (2 six cord piles) but I am an arborist and will bring in freshly cut extremely dry pieces if I am cutting dead trees. I bring the wood to the basement using a blue bin so I kept track of how many blue bins I needed for 2 piles (4 face cords). I hauled in 90 blue bins so that means 22 blue bins = 1 face cord. I also have another list of how many blue bins of wood does not come from the wood shed so now I'll be able to figure it all out in the spring. Just thought I would share here because most of my friends do not burn wood and they did not really seem to care about my findings. I think these findings will revalutionize the way everyone keeps track of how much wood they burn. Or maybe I should just get a hobby like my buddies said I should do.

everything makes sense in your own head when your stoned.. its when you read it out loud the next day that it gets a little confusing :dizzy:

by the way, what is a face cord?

View attachment 167939

The problem here is that you are trying to put the wood in without taking off the top.

167939d1294697333-0007314994510_180x180-jpg

You will find this one works much better.

7000384-blue-recycle-bin-empty.jpg

by the way, what is a face cord?

OKAY, AGAIN>>> CORD 4x4x8= 128 ft. Follow here, it's tough... THE FACE OF THAT CORD IS 4x8. A face cord is a stack 4x8!!!! Get it??? It could be 16", then it's a 1/3 cord, BUT IT'S A FACE CORD!!! It could be 24" wood, and it would be a half cord, BUT IT'S STILL A FACE CORD!!!Too tough? Then don't use those terms. I think bundle sellers are opportunistic thieves, but I keep that to myself.

OKAY, AGAIN>>> CORD 4x4x8= 128 ft. Follow here, it's tough... THE FACE OF THAT CORD IS 4x8. A face cord is a stack 4x8!!!! Get it??? It could be 16", then it's a 1/3 cord, BUT IT'S A FACE CORD!!! It could be 24" wood, and it would be a half cord, BUT IT'S STILL A FACE CORD!!!Too tough? Then don't use those terms. I think bundle sellers are opportunistic thieves, but I keep that to myself.

Then what is a face cord cut 48"????
"Opportunistic thieves"? Some are happy to just buy a few bundles a year. None of my business if they want to buy a bundle a month just for a nice fire to look at.

Well a facecord is when the customer makes a face cause he feels he was shorted by almost 2/3 of a cord. Sure thing.
Here at home I go by the Armload which is how much I am able to pick up off the stack to take inside. The colder it is, the more wood an Armload will contain as if to help me to avoid going out again any soon.
But as a rule of thumb I agree that a Bluebin is like 19 Armloads.

A Ruleofthumb is up to 35% away from the truth, BTW.

SA

You will find this one works much better.

7000384-blue-recycle-bin-empty.jpg

That's what I had in mind as well, and 2 cubic feet of split wood x 22 trips into the house would yield 44 cubic feet. For personal use, an approximation is just fine.

Sounds like it works for him and he was just sharing his ways with other fellow woodburners.

Last edited:
Although this has been an interesting read, none of this discussion applies to my situation since my bin is RED and not blue! :)

Yet More Firewood Measures

Well as long as we are throwing numbers and units around to measure firewood, here are a few more dandies:

3 face cords = 1 full cord
25 logs = 1 wheelbarrow full (mounded way up)
18 wheelbarrows full = 1 full cord, so 7 wheelbarrows full = 1 face cord
18 wheelbarrows full = 450 logs, so 450 logs = 1 full cord
Therefore, 150 logs = 1 face cord

Now, of course, log count is a function of who's doing the splitting. This happens to be about how I split. Your numbers will likely vary from this.

Just because you can't comprehend it doesn't mean its not accepted and requested out in the real world. Maybe too many different regional names hurt your pretty little head? HEAR THIS CLEARLY, I'LL CALL IT A PILE O' FIRE MAKERS IF I WANT, **********!

The boy here forget her Prozac dose today ? :bang::bang:

P.S. What is "********** " ?

P.P.S. "Too" ? As in "Too much time sitting at the computer" ?

2. douchebag

An individual who has an over-inflated sense of self worth, compounded by a low level of intellegence, behaving ridiculously in front of colleagues with no sense of how moronic he appears.
Your boss is a real douchebag!

2. douchebag

An individual who has an over-inflated sense of self worth, compounded by a low level of intellegence, behaving ridiculously in front of colleagues with no sense of how moronic he appears. Your boss is a real douchebag!

How cold is it going to get in Northern Wisconsin tonight? 15 beers below zero?
:laugh:

......Now as anyone with a scientific calculator and cuts firewood there is a log button on the calculator, so you have to press this to find out the true number of blue bins, which is 1.88 blue bins per cord. And thats that.

Here at home I go by the Armload which is how much I am able to pick up off the stack to take inside. The colder it is, the more wood an Armload will contain as if to help me to avoid going out again any soon.
But as a rule of thumb I agree that a Bluebin is like 19 Armloads.

A Ruleofthumb is up to 35% away from the truth, BTW.

SA

Spiral Acacia:

As a rule of thumb, I think it's easier to use the log button on your calculator, like greengoblin suggests.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back