25:1 mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dugide

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
had a customer score a saw (346 husky) using that mix, said he always mixed that heavy in older saws. I think it lead to ring sticking. any thoughts.

Are you sure the mix caused it?

I had a guy telling me the other day that you can lean a saw way out as long as you kept the oil up. Could this guy have lean seized even with a heavy oil mix? Was he using high quality 2-cycle mix or straight 30?

(just speculating - interested to hear what others say)

Philbert

wierd ive never herd in my life time u can score a saw on 25-1 .. i mix mine 40-1 or when i buy ams oil and octain boast . i mix it at 80-1. have had no problems logging with these mixes

I've run 32:1 for years and years
Never had a carboned up engine.

I doubt it, more likely a common failure, rank mix, older 346 with the plastic clamp/leaky boot, whatever.

My unscintific splanation to this is heavy ratios lead to more problems based on the fact the mix doesn't get the chance to flow like it would at 45-1 or 50-1 25-1 it hangs in one place to long letting it slow burn and stick things leading ot other issues down the road:popcorn::popcorn:

That is complete humbug! It has to do with the two time combustion in the chamber. First combustion is the highly volatile gas component. Second combustion is the inert oil combustion. Due to the low oil content the second inadequate combustion is working contrary the acceleration of the piston, kind of like building a combustion void => sticky ring syndrom!

You listen to me! I tell you!

:D

Was probably run lean. Doesn't matter if there's plenty of oil, it'll still get way too hot for the piston/ring if it's lean. But the bearings are probably fine! If it was scored all around the piston, maybe he was just running it without the air filter.

oh..O.K.. so it is slowing down the piston rather than accelerating it....I think I understand...but I don't understand inert combustion...it seems like an oxymoron:msp_scared:

It's the technicus teminus.

:msp_flapper:

I had a guy telling me the other day that you can lean a saw way out as long as you kept the oil up. Could this guy have lean seized even with a heavy oil mix? Was he using high quality 2-cycle mix or straight 30?

Philbert

the only way to add more oil is to do it in the mix. So now you have a greater oil to fuel ratio. This in itself is leaning out the saw. So if your saw is tuned to 50-1 at your altitude, then you lean the settings AND change the mix to 25-1 you will be double leaning out the saw. Good luck with that.

You can pretty much run any ratio from 25-1 through to 50-1 as long as you tune right for the particular mix. More of a variable is the quality of fuel, the quality of oil. The age of these, has it been sitting in the saw for months,how clean the air and fuel filter are, etc.......

Its obvious you have to retune when you change your mixture. IT doesn't even have to a different ratio, jus changing brands will often require a retuning.

I run 40:1 in my saws, weedeaters, and blowers. all the same mix.

That's very interesting about 25:1 making a leaner mix. I would never have figured that.

Philbert

More oil makes the fuel to air mix leaner at the same carb setting, as the oil displaces fuel.

Oooops - I see others already had posted that....

Last edited:
Back