254 crank question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoffM

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I have a Husqvarna 254,but the crank is broken. I read somewhere that you can fit the crank and cylinder from a 262, but would like to know if anyone knows for sure if this is really possible. If it is what else would have to be changed.
Geoff.

Hi Geoff,
I am pretty sure that you would have to use the 262 piston, crank and cylinder in that change over, not sure but think that the 262 head has bigger exhaust bolts also. You can look that one up on eReplacementparts, If you want to stay stock, I have a couple of 254xp cases with cranks that feel fine.

Hi guys.
I have a Husqvarna 254,but the crank is broken. I read somewhere that you can fit the crank and cylinder from a 262, but would like to know if anyone knows for sure if this is really possible. If it is what else would have to be changed.
Geoff.

A 262 crank (really the con rod) won't work with the 254 top end - the con rod is longer on the 262.

The stroke is the same 34mm, but not at the same higth above the centre of the crank.

Hi Geoff,
I am pretty sure that you would have to use the 262 piston, crank and cylinder in that change over, not sure but think that the 262 head has bigger exhaust bolts also. You can look that one up on eReplacementparts, If you want to stay stock, I have a couple of 254xp cases with cranks that feel fine.

At least the top cover need to be higher with the 262 top end, and I am not sure if the deck higth is the same between the cases?

The 254 - 262 all use the same crankcase and you are correct on the connecting rod. As for the cover, it's not a problem, we are only looking at a minimum height change in the cylinder. I just sold a 254/262xp that I did the crank transfer in.

The 254 - 262 all use the same crankcase and you are correct on the connecting rod. As for the cover, it's not a problem, we are only looking at a minimum height change in the cylinder. I just sold a 254/262xp that I did the crank transfer in.

Won't the higher 262 cylinder get too close to the 254 top cover, and transfer too much heat to it?

I don't know, just wondering....

Hi Geoff,
Thanks for the information. It confirms what I read that crank and cylinder have to be changed,but at least I know now that it is possible. Thanks for the offer and if i decide not to use the 262 part then I will get back to you.
geoff.

A 262 crank (really the con rod) won't work with the 254 top end - the con rod is longer on the 262.

The stroke is the same 34mm, but not at the same higth above the centre of the crank.
Hi Nico. Thanks for the information. I will have to see if the top cover will fit,but as kz1000 said the difference is probably minimal.
geoff.

Won't the higher 262 cylinder get too close to the 254 top cover, and transfer too much heat to it?

I don't know, just wondering....
I really would have to guess, so I'll say I don't know. I sold the last 254 that I had and the 254/262xp that I built had the 262 filter set-up and lid, you could be right? I'll see if I have another 254 lid and test it on a 262 that I'm putting together.

The 254 top cover doesn't fit over the 261/262 cylinder. There's two low points on the 254 cover that get hung up on the taller 261/262 jug. The 257/261/262 muffler is taller as well.
I thought I smelled plastic when I fired that sucker up, but I figured it was the over sized clutch hitting against the brake cover.

Back