254XP won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C@TCH

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi, new guy here.
This is one of 2 saws I inherited, it was working fine then last time I was cutting some firewood it ran good for about an hour. Then it died and couldn't get it started again. Spark is good. If I spray a bit of gas into carb it starts and dies within seconds.
What can be the problem, what can I check.

hi, new guy here.
This is one of 2 saws I inherited, it was working fine then last time I was cutting some firewood it ran good for about an hour. Then it died and couldn't get it started again. Spark is good. If I spray a bit of gas into carb it starts and dies within seconds.
What can be the problem, what can I check.
when it died imediately check if you have spark , i mean when the machine is hot , if not you go for coil , if yes check for other problems

I installed a carb kit,cleaned everything up and still no go
I am borrowing a compression tester this weekend, any ideas or tips on what else I can do.
I hate to get rid of this saw,it seems like it was a good one.

You could also check that the impulse channel isn't plugged.
Try seating the high idle and open H&L at least one turn or more.
Introduce some gas thru the intake or plug hole with the choke on and see if it will run.

It turns out that Manotick is not far from Ottawa, our Canadian capital city. Sorta like Washington DC is thecapital of the USA.

Latest posts

Back