257-262 transformation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msjanket

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Would you expect a transplanted aftermarket 262 jug put into a Husky 257 to have the snot of an OEM jug? Bailey's has jugs for around a C note, Husky has them for considerably more. Obviously, the cheaper Bailey's jugs are not OEM. Also, the Bailey's jugs have a threaded port for the decomp button, whereas I've seen mostly 262's with no decomp button.

You can make a good running saw with a Bailey's top end. Their aftermarket 262 jugs have the same size combustion chamber from what I've seen so it should run fine. Of course you'll need other parts to totally do the conversion like the intake block, manifold, and gaskets.

Would you expect a transplanted aftermarket 262 jug put into a Husky 257 to have the snot of an OEM jug? Bailey's has jugs for around a C note, Husky has them for considerably more. Obviously, the cheaper Bailey's jugs are not OEM. Also, the Bailey's jugs have a threaded port for the decomp button, whereas I've seen mostly 262's with no decomp button.

The 262xp had a decomp valve from 1994 or so.

I have 4 of the 257/262 conversions. Two are the aftermarket an they don't seem any different power wise than the oem versions. All have been mildly ported so it's not an even comparison but it sure makes the 257 perk up!........Bob

I have 4 of the 257/262 conversions. Two are the aftermarket an they don't seem any different power wise than the oem versions. All have been mildly ported so it's not an even comparison but it sure makes the 257 perk up!........Bob

Did you just do the piston/cylinder swap or did you do the intake manifold as well???

was there a noticeable power increase??

You will need to mod the 257 partitian to accept the 262 intake. Not a big deal just a lil grinding. This is a great upgrade and these saws run great. I prefer the 257 air cleaner system because the 261/262 can have issues with sealing. Its also a good idea to mod the muffler as the 257 is quite restricted.

Last edited:
The partions is an easy do. I disagree on the intake and muffler. The 261/62 has a much better air filtration setup plus the air horn is at least 1/3 larger. The stock 257 muffler is the same as that on the 262. It's the 261 that has the restricted muffler. All three use the same carb. Only the 262 has the upgraded clutch. 3 part vrs the 2 part. Interchange is easy.......Bob

The partions is an easy do. I disagree on the intake and muffler. The 261/62 has a much better air filtration setup plus the air horn is at least 1/3 larger. The stock 257 muffler is the same as that on the 262. It's the 261 that has the restricted muffler. All three use the same carb. Only the 262 has the upgraded clutch. 3 part vrs the 2 part. Interchange is easy.......Bob

What are the differences between the clutches....I realize that one is a 2 piece vs 3 piece. Is the 3 piece more durable????

christopher

I just did this swap last month. I used the Bailey's cylinder/piston and the quality seems decent. I changed the intake and sealing ring/shield to a 262 setup. After it was all bolted up the air filter mount was raised just slightly so I guess the intake port is higher compared to the 257. The 257 cover had to be trimmed to fit the the new intake shield, and I now have the 262 topcover and filter mount on order to complete the saw.

Compression was 165 with no base gasket and squish was .015. I made a gasket out of .005 aluminum and compression went to 155. I haven't used it yet but runs fine at idle.

:cheers:

Nailed it.

I'm planning on a 257-262 swap myself and just can't seem to find a positive answer to my question.

Does the 262-261 top plastics fit directly on a 257? Or is some dinkin around required to make them fit right?

I just got a 262xp and barely had a chance to cut for a few min. Now I see what the hype is about:) Although the modded 257 is kinda:jawdrop:

Bill

Yep, whole top cover and air filter set up is a simple bolt on. Sorta takes the sleeper look away though. As a side note; you can also use the handle and tank assembly from the 50-55 series if needed.......Bob

What are the differences between the clutches....I realize that one is a 2 piece vs 3 piece. Is the 3 piece more durable????

christopher

The 2 shoe clutch came on 254xp, 257, 261.
The 3 shoe that comes on the 262xp will hold alot more power before slipping.
I have tried a new 2 shoe clutch on a stock 262xp and it will not hold the power.
The part number for the 3 shoe 262xp clutch is 503 57 71 01.
If you are changing from a 2 shoe to a 3 shoe you will also need the washer that goes between the clutch and drum, part number 503 52 12 02

The 2 shoe clutch came on 254xp, 257, 261.
The 3 shoe that comes on the 262xp will hold alot more power before slipping.
I have tried a new 2 shoe clutch on a stock 262xp and it will not hold the power.
The part number for the 3 shoe 262xp clutch is 503 57 71 01.
If you are changing from a 2 shoe to a 3 shoe you will also need the washer that goes between the clutch and drum, part number 503 52 12 02

Thanks for the info

You will need to mod the 257 partitian to accept the 262 intake. Not a big deal just a lil grinding. This is a great upgrade and these saws run great. I prefer the 257 air cleaner system because the 261/262 can have issues with sealing. Its also a good idea to mod the muffler as the 257 is quite restricted.

I like your info. Is hard to find answers to swap cylinder for my 257. I would like to put a 262 on it, seems like the only option I have. I will look for a Bailey top. Thank You very much. Hardwood60

Back