260 and 440 deal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadeye308

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
First i want to say this is an awesome site, thank you guys for all the great info so far that i have been reading. But now i kind of have a question that is specific for me. I heat my home 100% with wood. I have a ms 290 now. I stopped at a stihl dealer and i have never been to before today looking for saws. ( I think i got this thing you guys call CAD!!) They have a used 260,440 and 460. I want to go with a 2 saw plan 50 and 70cc. i have some concerns though. The 260 is not a pro model, from my understanding the only thing diffrent is it doesn't have an adjustable oiler on it. Will this cause me problems down the road.( i want to eventually do a MM on it) and i can't deside between the 440 and 460. I don't need the 460, but man do those saws rip:chainsawguy:. I cut prolly 15 cords of wood a year, mostly hard wood, but nothing very large. I put a 100 dollar down payment to hold all 3 but i only have till tomorrow to decide, so i figured i would ask all of you guys for help! all of the saws were in pretty decent shape and money is deffinatly a factor, so if i can get buy with the 440 i better go with it. also wondering if they prices they are asking sound about right. 260-$250, 440-$500, 460- $650 thank you guys in advance

those prices don't sound like a screamin deal by any means, but, without more info it's hard to say...
that 460 should look like new for that money though (inside and out)..

where abouts south central Pa. are you anyway ??

No the 260 not being a pro model isn't a huge deal and will have no effect on any muffler modding you do in the future. In addition to being adjustable the adj oiler is only pumping oil when the clutch is engaged. I think this is more an advantage than the adjustability of the pump itself. The non pro pumps plenty of oil, but just isn't as EPA friendly because it will dribble oil even at idle.

I would personally opt for the 440 and the 260.

The non-pro version of the 260 will work just fine for you, no need to worry!
For the extra weight and if you don't need it, I'd get the 440. They are getting kinda scarce anymore, weigh just a hair more than a 360 and will be happy with a 20-25" bar all day long, but still large enough you can run a bigger bar short times.
I LOVE my 046, but I HATE lugging that beast around with my bad back anymore. Remember, you will get old to! The 460 feels a good five pounds heavier at the end of the day, and if you are not going to be cutting huge timber, it's overkill.
But on that note, what size tree's are you looking at, this will help solidify the choice.

Man, thanks for the help! I'm from near orbisoina pa. sorta south of huntingdon bout half hour. I'm mostly cutting dead oak, hickory, locust and some maple and everything else, but mostly those are it and most everything i can do with a 20 inch bar. One more question, if i get the 440(which i prolly am) he said he'd put a new chain on it. What chain should i get? From the reading done on here a semi chisel would be correct for me right? i cut alot of dead dirty stuff.

i'm in marysville (across the river from harrisburg)
yea, sounds like you'd be wanting stihl RMC chain....
make sure you don't end up with RMC3, it'll be a pain later.

I would pull off the pre-filter off 440 and make sure air filter looks good.
If it looks plugged up I would try to get a new one out of the deal.
New filter is around $25

Before you tell him you will take it.
If 440 doesn't have the duel port muffler cover already.
Ask him if he will sell you one at his cost or just over his cost.
You will get one later anyway..........along with the duel spikes and roller chain catcher :hmm3grin2orange:

TT

Trigger, what does the roller chain catcher do?

And since i'm still fairly new to getting into this on a more in depth level. I really don't understand the difference between the .325 on the 260 ( and my 290) and the 3/8 that will come with the 440. is that just the pitch that i will file the chain? or does that have to do with the sprocket? ( sorry for my ignorance)

Trigger, what does the roller chain catcher do?

And since i'm still fairly new to getting into this on a more in depth level. I really don't understand the difference between the .325 on the 260 ( and my 290) and the 3/8 that will come with the 440. is that just the pitch that i will file the chain? or does that have to do with the sprocket? ( sorry for my ignorance)

The roller chain catcher takes the place of the factory alum hook type catcher.
The factory catcher is fine, before you can use the roller you have to have
the double spikes. The roller catcher does give your saw a little more
protection in case you throw the chain.

I was just kidding you a little but I would try to get the duel port muffler cover if I was you.

Am sure someone can help you with the chain, am ready to head out the door.

TT

.325 and 3/8's" chain is the length of the drivers on the chain. 3/8" is a bigger chain, bigger cutters and needs more power, but cuts faster with a more powerful saw. Then you get into .404" chain, bigger yet, needs more power yet etc.
Does that help some?

If the 440 is in good shape, I would get that and then see if he'll sell you a new 261. Sounds like the 260/261 would be the saw you would reach for the most, and 15 cords is crap load of wood to be packing around a saw that is too big for what you are doing. The guys that have the 261 say its better than the 260.

If those saws arent close to mint condition then they're not worth that cash. Look at some ebay prices to get a clue on what they're going for. I see 660s sell for 500-600 bucks in "decent" shape all the time.

The 440 and 460 must be minty for those prices. If so, the 460 isn't worth another $150 over the 440. I prefer the 440 anyway and those are getting hard to find in great condition. If you decide you don't like it, 460s are still on the shelf. If the 260 is nice, $250 is a steal.

This thread just made me realize I also need that roller chain catcher that is being mentioned. I just ordered the two spikes for my 440 but do not come with a catcher and by 2000ssm6's sig I will also need part #1122 650 7700. Is this catcher only available at dealer or is it something I can get from Baileys or non dealers?

Sorry for the hijack and that can't offer any advise on which saw to get. I haven't used my 440 enough to give any realistic info.

This thread just made me realize I also need that roller chain catcher that is being mentioned. I just ordered the two spikes for my 440 but do not come with a catcher and by 2000ssm6's sig I will also need part #1122 650 7700. Is this catcher only available at dealer or is it something I can get from Baileys or non dealers?

Sorry for the hijack and that can't offer any advise on which saw to get. I haven't used my 440 enough to give any realistic info.

Not sure if you can get them AF. I always went with Stihl.

Anyone know what the diff. is between 1122 650 7700 and 1135 650 7700
roller chain catchers are?

Is the axle bolt and roller longer.

1122 650 7700 is listed for 038 to 066

1135 650 7700 is listed for 361 and 362, but we know it fits 036/360 also.

I have both on order and both are back ordered :(

TT

Anyone know what the diff. is between 1122 650 7700 and 1135 650 7700
roller chain catchers are?

Is the axle bolt and roller longer.

1122 650 7700 is listed for 038 to 066

1135 650 7700 is listed for 361 and 362, but we know it fits 036/360 also.

I have both on order and both are back ordered :(

TT

Can you say what the 1122 650 7700 costs at dealer? Wondering if I can do without for now or order one myself. I can't help you with the difference but maybe they are shorter on the 360/036's.

Latest posts

Back