260 or 346?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how do they compare weight wise?I bought a used 257 last fall to replace my stolen 026 and it is a heavy turd

The 346 is a little bit heavier but I would not let that decide which one I got, hard to tell without a scale. The only other saw I can swing around limbs and small trees easy besides the 026 is the 211 or a rear handle 200, both of those weight less but also have less power.

maybe a lot of it is just what your used too.I probabley have more time on an 026 than all other saws combined, so the smart thing for me wood be to just wait till I find a good deal on 1

The Dark Side I tell you! Darth Snellerizer is infecting my brain with all this 346 stuff, as well as all the talk about the SlingMod 346 at the GTG, as well as Troll's talk about running one. I even went to the local Husky dealer and looked at the fancy clear model on the display shelf. I want the clear model, but they will not sell it to anyone. :cry:

attachment.php

I am holding out with my all-Stihl work saws for as long as I can...

You've simply got to find a 346 and run. That will answer the question for you. I fell in love with mine immediately, and I'm a Stihl guy. It was my first Husky. IMHO, it's considerably stronger than a 260. You will want to put a modded non-EPA muffler on it if you get one with a green fuel cap. I'd also recommend putting a non rev-limiting coil on it. You can pick them up on eBay for about $25. It's the same coil you find on many other current models, ie 359, 359, 372... I also prefer the choke/fast idle controls on the Husky. Two things I don't like but can live with. All it wants to do is fall on its side when you set it down, and the outboard clutch. Yes, I'd take one in a heartbeat over a new 260, as nice as they are.

It's hard to put into words why I like it so much. I guess it's just that it handles sooooooooo well, and same with performance. Throttle response is electric motor like. I buried mine in hardwood on the first outing and was shocked with its power. Now don't forget that we're only talking about a 50cc saw here, so don't expect it to have the power of a 361, but you get the idea.

Where do you live anyway? I'm near Middletown, 45005. Mines significantly modded, but you'd still get to feel how it handles.

my 026 lasted forever. But honestly if you got a 270 outside of the weight the 270 performs the same with better vibes. The 346 if you want a fun saw to run though

fell a 30" tree today, things went sour and the 026 ended up buckn 90% percent of it. ran 6 tanks through it on this one tree. i was very impressed. got about 2.5 cord out of the one tree.

mines muffler modded running 18" bar and oregon lgx 3/8" chain.

never ran 346 but i know the 026 260 is a very capable saw and will work outside of its ball feild. id imagine the 346 will do the same job a shade faster

Last edited:
I've cast my vote. My 026 should be here tomorrow. I looked at the 346, particularly after THALL and Brad Snelling have commeted so favorably about them. But, between my local Husqy dealer's lack of interest in non-pro's and the fact that I will be able to find 026 parts for the rest of my lifetime; I decided to pull the trigger on the 026. I can't wait for it to get here. My wife will probably be happier than me when it get's here, so she can stop listening to me talk about having to wait on it. The pro Stihl's also just feel more substantial to me. :cheers:

You cannot resist the dark side forever, I tell ya!:) I take it you didn't run that modded 346 at the GTG? Otherwise, you'd already have one.

I did not dare touch Booker's saw at the GTG. Well, wait a minute, I did touch it, but I did not run it. I could feel the Dark Side in that saw. I did run another stock one that same week though. And I got a bid for the price for a 346/NE SlingMod port job from TreeSling'r. I am Stihl holding out for an 026...

how do they compare weight wise?I bought a used 257 last fall to replace my stolen 026 and it is a heavy turd

The NE346xp is about .4lbs heavier than the MS260 (and the old 346xp).

That is not much, compared to a .5hp difference, much better trigger response, and a better handling design...:givebeer:

Last edited:
Back