262XP Day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you saying?

I've done all the 262s in this thread.......and several more since this thread was posted.
I can't wait to run mine! I have another project I want to send, as well... and I will gladly wait until you have an opening. :yes:

Randy, do you have a preferred carb to the HD 87 if not available? Have you tried a HD 6 or 12 that came on the 365's?

I've never worried about which carb. Any of the stock carbs are fine.

Hey Randy!!

I have both the HDA 87 and HDA 120 available as choices for my 262.

Have you ever ran these carbs back to back on a stock or ported saw to see if you can tell any noticeable difference?

Enjoying your threads as always and trying to decide what I should get you to port for me one day when you have an opening in your schedule.

Speaking of carbs

this is incorrect... this is a k20 kits .... the metering diaphragm has to be upside down in order to fit... it does fit...and it does run... but it isn't right ....remember, the gasket is SUPPOSED to be against the carb, THEN the metering diaphragm, THEN the cover.
20150811_095500.jpg

the CORRECT KIT is a k22 kit for all 262xp carbs.... 87, 120, 144 according to walbro site. notice how the metering diaphragm is mirror image.
20150811_095442.jpg

the CORRECT KIT is a k22 kit for all 262xp carbs.... 87, 120, 144 according to walbro site. notice how the metering diaphragm is mirror image.
View attachment 440546

The venturi is 16.67 mm or the 87, and only 15.08 on the others - same as a stock 346xp with Walbro carb (the Zamas is listed as 15.0). I find it odd if a 16.67 carb isn't an improvement on the 262xp, when it (HDA-199 etc) allegdedly is on a 346xp (not everyone agree on that either, I believe). :confused::confused:

My guess is that different ways to do the porting has something to do with it - some have said they do the porting differently, based on what carb is going to be used?

I hope you aren't asking me that question. I'm simply stating that a k20 kit metering diaphragm fits upside down, sorta, and actually runs. But the correct carb kit is a k22 for all 262xp carbs.

Now, if we go to discuss what carbs are better, seems to be it would be best to have an 87. But just reving mine 2 262xps with a 120 carbs...they are quite snappy, so I don't know what real world gain an 87 would bring.

I don't pretend to be an authority on these saws, just trying to share what i've learned. Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

I think here is what you are looking for.
p1010524-small-jpg.413012

Is the main jet removable or amenable to drilling out on a 120/144?

There was a post I ran across here where someone bored out a 120/144 to 87 specs. Cut larger throttle and choke butterflies off of a drilled and lathe sized brass bar.

The main jet is replaceable on all of these carbs by pressing the old one out and a new one in. If you go to the Walbro website you can get the replacement jet part numbers. I don't believe you can modify their jet size though because they also incorporate a valve that prevents pressure from entering the carb when the butterfly is suddenly closed.

Back