266xp Pricing..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All day long and half the night...I would want a peek at the piston, and to crank and let it run for a little. Cutting with it would be a bonus. But cosmetically, it is very nice for the age. You can't always judge a saw by its covers, but they can give you a good idea of what to expect.

Sounds like a pretty good price for that saw if it's in good running shape and doesn't need anything.

I bought a 266XP a couple of months ago that looks like yours. In fact, I had to go out in the garage and make sure it was still there! LOL
Mine was in great shape with good compression and very low hours. It even had the original bar which was in very good condition. $225 for a quality saw like that is a good deal if you don't have to put a lot of money into it to suit your liking. Putting too much capitol into making it suitable for you can bring you into a good used 372XP price range. Nice find !

Yep, its definitely worth it! That is assuming the 266 is in good shape, pull the muff to check the piston for scuffs, make sure it starts and idles nice, check the brake, make sure she oils good, bring a chunk of wood so you can test it under a load.

Id buy it straight up, there a great saw!!! if going by cosmetic's alone to judge if its had a hard life, its a good idea to look at the bottom of the saws powerhead, you can get an idea of how many times the saw was put down on the ground when in the field, which gives a indication of how much use/abuse its had.

Those were the staple saw in the pulp woods up here in NH for many years. High reving and good throttle responce. A bit heavy to do limbing work all day on big pines but for the ones doing the felling it was highly regarded. I have a 266se that was my primary saw for a couple years until I got a MS361 and I think they are pretty close in power with the edge going to the Husky by a slight margin but the 361 is way smoother a bit lighter and doesn't make your hands tingle after a few hours continuous running. I say grab it if it runs good. One of Huskys all time finest in my book. I'll never sell mine and run it often to keep it happy.

The saw is from the 1980s - do you have the serial number?

As nmurph said, it surely is worth it, if the innards are as nice as the outside. :msp_smile:

serial number...

I do not have the serial number. First off, my wife is due any day now with my son:rock:. I do have 2 daughters already :rock: and the guy is just over an hour and a half away, so going to look at it in person is out of the question (well until at least a couple of days after she calves), but I will call and see if he can tell me what the serial number is. I am not a saw guru, can you tell me where he can look to find the serial number in case he asks?

Gentleman claims to have had a pacemaker installed and can no longer run the saw and when he ran it he was using it for home use. :msp_scared:

It is on the black tag, under the oil cap - I can see the tag in your first picture. My guess is the saw is from 1987.....

Last edited:
...the guy is just over an hour and a half away, so going to look at it in person is out of the question

I would find a way to get that saw. If it's listed on CL, it won't last long at that price...and he may promise to hold it until you can get there, but I have had saws sold out from under their promise!
Find a friend, send the dog, or drop the wife at the hospital and go, but get there!!!

i saw that saw! wait, what? yeah, i seen that saw and thought about it too. if it starts, idles and cuts proper and the P/C looks ok you should get it. you'll be sorry if you don't.

I would find a way to get that saw. If it's listed on CL, it won't last long at that price...and he may promise to hold it until you can get there, but I have had saws sold out from under their promise!
Find a friend, send the dog, or drop the wife at the hospital and go, but get there!!!

Thanks for the :laugh:. That would go over about as well as, "Can you wait a few hours? The game just started." :laugh:

Thanks for the :laugh:. That would go over about as well as, "Can you wait a few hours? The game just started." :laugh:

Heck, get one of her friends to go with her, that's the way it used to be done. The men would be hunting and the women would have the baby in the morning and go back to gathering in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Bought it...

Bought the saw. Guy is holding it for me. Seems like a great guy and obviously has a good stepson cause he is going to see him graduate from PARIS ISLAND in about a week. :D

Thanks for all of your replys!! Once again, you all :rock:

Latest posts

Back