281 Fires in N. Calif.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't mean to sound like an a$$hole. My bad. As for a poor season? Oh dear lord that wont happen at all. We are already ankle deep in fires and they are slowly starting to progress into more and more. So it will be a fairly busy fire season.

I didn't mean to sound like an a$$hole. My bad. As for a poor season? Oh dear lord that wont happen at all. We are already ankle deep in fires and they are slowly starting to progress into more and more. So it will be a fairly busy fire season.

No problem...I knew you weren't being a jerk. And you're right about this season...it's already bad and it's a long way from over.

I was just whining a little. I get to do that...it's in my contract.:)

Amen brother. Everyone has to rant every now and then. Oh yeah, I doubt fire season will be over for us until, well Oct. It's looking like we are going to have a lot of lightning busts up here. :cry: Oh well, we don't call them money clouds for no reason. Anywho, drink a few beers, it Sunday and enjoy it!. :cheers:

Just got word I may be heading to Salmon River, Ca - major hooters over there. I am talking 7-8 footers everywhere - I may return with footage and pics.

This type of work your talking about makes me want to pack up and move across country. :chainsaw: :monkey:

Here's the bad part. You can't make as much money anymore because shifts are supposed to be limited to 12? or is it 16 hours. We used to do the occasional 30 hours on the line which was an exercise in sleep deprivation and boy did I get cranky and whiney! You'll usually be in smoke a lot and can get sensitve to it after a while. In Southern OR and CA they have poison oak and when it burns, the smoke can make some people have to head for the hospital.

You are not in control of your life anymore. You can be stuck out in the middle of nowhere for (I guess they shortened that time also) 2 weeks. This can get old after a while. Not much privacy either. Trying to sleep in camp is difficult--lots of noise. Lots and lots. I used to favor sleeping by a generator as it was a steady noise and would drown out all the other stuff like helicopters during the day, backup alarms, and...some crews bring boomboxes. More sleep deprivation.

Weight loss and blisters. Well, I guess the first one is not bad. I'm a thrifty keeper but lost 15 pounds on the worst 3 week tour. I ate everything. The latter seems to happen and you have to work with it. Part of that might be that our crew wore caulks at home and then switched to our fire boots.

Also, :censored: happens and it gets mighty quiet when the wind changes and you are in the midst of bug killed lodgepole and it looks like you might get "burned over."

Then the final one, that hasn't happened for a while is that you adjust your life to this extra income and then there's a year when it rains everywhere and the season has no big fires so no extra income....not good.

But, if you get on a good crew, that'll make up for some of the above. The best crew I went on was a thrown together one. At first, everyone kind of hid their undies while drying them after "washing them in the shower" and then we all turned into a family, no more hiding the undies...stuck up for each other, went over the fence all together to get to the bar ( on R&R) sat together listening to our faller screaming "5 more minutes and we'd a had er swarped" while flames were shooting up around us-- we were in a meadow...etc.

Here's the bad part. You can't make as much money anymore because shifts are supposed to be limited to 12? or is it 16 hours. We used to do the occasional 30 hours on the line which was an exercise in sleep deprivation and boy did I get cranky and whiney! You'll usually be in smoke a lot and can get sensitve to it after a while. In Southern OR and CA they have poison oak and when it burns, the smoke can make some people have to head for the hospital.

You are not in control of your life anymore. You can be stuck out in the middle of nowhere for (I guess they shortened that time also) 2 weeks. This can get old after a while. Not much privacy either. Trying to sleep in camp is difficult--lots of noise. Lots and lots. I used to favor sleeping by a generator as it was a steady noise and would drown out all the other stuff like helicopters during the day, backup alarms, and...some crews bring boomboxes. More sleep deprivation.

Weight loss and blisters. Well, I guess the first one is not bad. I'm a thrifty keeper but lost 15 pounds on the worst 3 week tour. I ate everything. The latter seems to happen and you have to work with it. Part of that might be that our crew wore caulks at home and then switched to our fire boots.

Also, :censored: happens and it gets mighty quiet when the wind changes and you are in the midst of bug killed lodgepole and it looks like you might get "burned over."

Then the final one, that hasn't happened for a while is that you adjust your life to this extra income and then there's a year when it rains everywhere and the season has no big fires so no extra income....not good.

But, if you get on a good crew, that'll make up for some of the above. The best crew I went on was a thrown together one. At first, everyone kind of hid their undies while drying them after "washing them in the shower" and then we all turned into a family, no more hiding the undies...stuck up for each other, went over the fence all together to get to the bar ( on R&R) sat together listening to our faller screaming "5 more minutes and we'd a had er swarped" while flames were shooting up around us-- we were in a meadow...etc.

that sums it up pretty good, when I started in fire there was no daily hour limit, and after 21 days you had the option of taking 2 days off, which we rarely ever took if we were getting good hours.

I never had trouble sleeping, even in base camps, because when you are on your feet in the burn 16+ hours in a day, you are out cold at the end of the day before your head hits the pillow, or rolled up dirty clothes that you are using for a pillow.

I don't envy the hotshot crews because they don't have the water, or waterbomber support that we have where I worked. and their wages arent half what they should be, and I don't work for the glory of it.

I had good summers and bad summers as far as pay, and you are right about that as well, if you have a good summer you have to remember that the next one you might not be as lucky...
and anyone that has worked fire knows that your crew is everything, because when you are working, and living with your coworkers 24 hours a day for long periods of time, and sometimes in high stress, and always high fatique situations, you just have to get along or its hell!

and good boots and tough feet are a must. if your feet arent holding up its torture.

to stay in the fire game you really have to like it, I got out because I need more security and its a profession for the young folks that want the adventure.. I was ready to have some time off in the summer for the first time in over a decade, and there just wasnt enough money in it!

I respect all that do go out there and do it, because somebody has to

Here's the bad part. You can't make as much money anymore because shifts are supposed to be limited to 12? or is it 16 hours.

:confused: 12-16 hour shifts are something new to me. The last major fire I was on, the Cotton wood fire. We were rotating in 24 hour shifts. 24 on, 12 off. The only time that I was limited on my shifts when I was 16 on the youth crew doing IA. That was some good times! Watched this prissy girl from Glendale (no one take offense damnit), on our first fire. Decided to just romp through the poison oak, smoke and everything. We had to Evac her to the ER. She quit the next day. Yes you do need good boots! I don't know if my Georgia's will make it through this season or not. The side stitching is coming out and the sole is starting to separate. Living in a base camp ain't as bad as living in a spike camp. Baby-wipe showers! Yes it does also depend on the season. This season looks to be a little over promising. But we are already in full swing.

Kenny

Be safe, you guys...

This article says 842 fires were started.... some have burned 6 square miles.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20080624/Wildfires/

The weather all went up our way this entire winter and spring season. Wettest June so far.....huge snowpacks still in the mountains. Our luck has left Cali and southern Oregon tinder dry.

Yeah, 842 has been updated and they are still finding more. It is so smokey they can't fly close enough to get an accurate number on fires and the size of them.
The feds USFS only alow up to a 16 hour shift, Cal -Fire gets paid around the clock, but also take a 12 off folling the 24 hour shift.

Oh, and a couple of times, they made a crew go home because they had a contagious disease or one time they had crabs. That and a fellow crew member pointing out that we were flying "low bid" after we got on a helicopter that had previously come in with black smoke comiing out of it, (they worked on it but no test flight) kind of wrecked fires for me--plus being a light sleeper even after a long shift. We should have also walked off the line when doing a night shift and snags were falling all over. You could only hear them and hope they didn't hit anybody. It was interesting.

Latest posts

Back