281 Fires in N. Calif.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Sling'r

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Friday night's lightning show sparked 281 fires in N. California. Nothing huge yet, but thing's are gonna get crazy this year out west.

that should be some good times for the fire crews!! good money makin I bet its dry out there

are you on a hotshot crew, type 1, type2?

I know the fires I have been on in the states the drought codes were off the scale. no water in the ground

right on thats serious stuff..

I have called in the pros on a few occasions, where I was underequiped and just didnt have the experience to drop the big crazy burnt ones. the trees we have where I worked were smaller than the branches on some of the trees I saw and cut in the west!!

I have some real respect for what you guys do.

right on thats serious stuff..

I have called in the pros on a few occasions, where I was underequiped and just didnt have the experience to drop the big crazy burnt ones. the trees we have where I worked were smaller than the branches on some of the trees I saw and cut in the west!!

I have some real respect for what you guys do.

Thanks, I got pictures from last year floating around here somewhere. I think the name of the thread was "wicked hinge."

We are already in Fire season up here. Had two start Thursday. Then lastnight a lightning bust came through and torched off another 13(?) more. Things are going to get crazy this summer. :cheers:

We are already in Fire season up here. Had two start Thursday. Then lastnight a lightning bust came through and torched off another 13(?) more. Things are going to get crazy this summer. :cheers:

You up by Roseburg? We may get the ODF contract as well, they only give out one and if we got it, it's gonna stir a giant hornets nest with another contractor outta Rogue Valley.

90 fires tonight here in Mendocino County

Never seen the sky open up like it did this morning. Lightning strikes everywhere, right down to the coast. So many spot fires, I don't think CDF can keep up right now. Things will get interesting in the next couple of days. Dry as a bone.

You up by Roseburg? We may get the ODF contract as well, they only give out one and if we got it, it's gonna stir a giant hornets nest with another contractor outta Rogue Valley.

Roseburg is where out HQ is. Though I do not work for the ODF. The DFPA does work along side with them. I'm actually out of Canyonville. Our southern most station for Douglas County. If you get the contract, more power to you. We really ain't too fond of most fallers that worked with us before. One of our FO's actually employ his father-in-law as our falls in the summer.

I'm near Roseburg, and I'm pretty sure that contractor in the Rogue Valley has everything up here with the state tied up. I competed with them a couple years ago for a couple of BLM contracts and they got pretty nasty.

Mile9, I used to fight fires with all of your supervisors there at DFPA, there's a few good hands there.

Down here in Canyonville or in Roseburg. Most of the FO's that work down here. They are gods full of knowledge and wisdom. There are a select few though, that I wish that didn't work down here. We're in the process of weeding out all the weak links in the hand crew. Already got one kid to quit and another one fired. On a different note. All this afternoon, our air attack plane kept calling in columns of smoke out towards 10 Mile, Camas Valley, Bateman, Umpqua and out in the Tyee. Central and North are going to have fun. :cheers:

This type of work your talking about makes me want to pack up and move across country. :chainsaw: :monkey:

Wildland Fire Fighting, Contract Falling, eating smoke, fire, ash and woodchips. It is a wonderful job. Every state has WFF's. Hell if you want to make the big $$$$ fighting fire. Go to California. Like the title to this thread says. Its gonna burn to the ground. -coughs other obscene comments under his breath- Yeah.

North carolina has had a wild fire in hyde , dare , county for 3 weeks now its in peat moss and that peat moss is very deep plus its dry out here as well only thing that will help things out is a tropical system without the winds

calvin

Yeah I was out there in Greenville about a week and a half ago for the UMC pastor convention and the smoke was pretty nasty from that fire.

Yeah I was out there in Greenville about a week and a half ago for the UMC pastor convention and the smoke was pretty nasty from that fire.

yea i live near morehead city and the smoke made it down our way last week i woke up one morning and was wondering where this smoke was coming from and then they had it on the news about the smoke the winds dragged it down our way

hows things in browns summit last time i was there they had ice on the roads
this has been two decembers ago

calvin

you all in california i will keep you in my prayers cause i see them fires on tv alot of times just be careful

Last edited:
Things are pretty good here like everywhere else just waiting for some rain. Glad to see a break from the 100 degree weather this past week.

Wildland Fire Fighting, Contract Falling, eating smoke, fire, ash and woodchips. It is a wonderful job. Every state has WFF's. Hell if you want to make the big $$$$ fighting fire. Go to California. Like the title to this thread says. Its gonna burn to the ground. -coughs other obscene comments under his breath- Yeah.

It's already well on it's way to "burning to the ground". I don't wish you fire guys any bad luck or poor seasons but I've had enough cutting and hauling burn salvage to last me forever. We're still doing the Moonlight salvage from last year and that's just the private ground...the FS stuff hasn't even been bid yet.

It would be nice to have just one season where all I worked in was green timber and saved the charcoal for week-end BBQs.

Latest posts

Back