28ton Huskee Splitter does not run...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on the bowl

Before you start ripping things apart, either drain the bowl if there's a drain plug, or remove it and dump it.

8 times out of 10 this will resolve the issue. If not then go after the thorough carb you cleaning. If you start with the compressed air, be careful, sometimes loose parts will fly or dirt may be forced into areas where it shouldn't end up.

Good Luck

Take Care

Thanks for the great suggestions guys, I really appreciate them.

I have not been able to get out there and work on it yet.
The barn door flew off in a high wind and I had to fix that, then the holidays hit along with the icy cold... it's always somethin'...

I'll let you know what I find out.

:agree2: Got to be a float issue if the motor runs by dumping gas in the carb.Take the bowl off,clean and soak all the moving float parts wit wd40.Dont remove the float just make sure it moves easily.The motor is just not getting fuel and should be an easy fix without having to rebuild anything.

Well, I finally got to working on the splitter.
It was not the float bowl.
For all who said it was a jet that was plugged, give yourself a prize.
The main jet was totally plugged up (how it got that way is beyond me, it had to be a batch of bad gas or something).
Mystery solved.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

same thing happened to my 27 ton turned out the choke cable broke off near the carb, once I figured out I could turn the choke with my hand, starts every time.

I am sure most people know about this stuff, but I was told about it recently and now I am a true believer in it... Sea Foam!

This stuff really works and has made my snow thrower and the g/f's ATV run like brand new... the Thrower sputtered and ATV wouldn't stay running.

Like I said, I called total BS when I was told that it would fix my toys, but it does what it says... :clap:

Sorry I am too late to help but here is a suggestion for next time that happens and it will. A lot of us have had problems getting a engine running after sitting for a while. Here's what works many times for me.
If the engine will fire with starting fluid or by pouring gas into the carb. first make sure the carb bowl has gas in it. Sometimes the needle gets stuck in the seat and doesn't let gas enter the carb if thats the case bang on the side of the carb with the plastic handle of a screwdriver to free the needle. If there is gas in the carb, squirt starter fluid in the carb keeping the throtle wide open start the motor and quick put a rag or just the palm of your hand over the carb opening the engine will suck the crap out of the jets and the motor will start to run. I have had to disassemble carbs too but more often than not this will work.

yea take and clean the carb really good with a bread bag tie without the paper on it. and run it up every littel hole it's got. and take and get about 2 or 3 cans of the carb clean gumout and spary the heck out of it. and that should get it running agin for ya.

I am sure most people know about this stuff, but I was told about it recently and now I am a true believer in it... Sea Foam!

This stuff really works and has made my snow thrower and the g/f's ATV run like brand new... the Thrower sputtered and ATV wouldn't stay running.

Like I said, I called total BS when I was told that it would fix my toys, but it does what it says... :clap:

hey baldman,
thanks for the tip. never heard of this stuff, but decided to give it a try. just bought a six pack of it on ebay. we'll see how it goes.

thanks again,
pat.

really surprised no one else has caught this...

motor has been sitting for close TWO years... stabil is meant to keep things fresh for over the winter + a bit more.

carb needs to be overhauled... every passage including main jets and idle jets needs to be clear before reassembling. if your engine runs fine for a few seconds when gas is dumped into carb... then motor is not getting fuel... something is clogged pure and simple.

according to stabil 15 months:

--------------------

How Well Does STA-BIL Work?
Better than you can imagine. On average, STA-BIL improves gasoline life 5 times. The average gasoline is extended from 3 months oxidation life without STA-BIL to 15 months with STA-BIL. Compared to any other products pretending to extend fuel life, STA-BIL is 4 to 9 times more effective according to accepted standard fuel stability tests IASTM D5251.

--------------------

best way to store any gas motor is to drain fuel, then let idle until it dies to use up all fuel inside fuel bowl.

for some reason Honda motors seems to have act like a magnet for water. everytime I've drained fuel bowl and/or rebuilt a carb on a honda small engine... fuel bowl has been full of water.

stabil then fill up tank completely is good for downtime over a winter... but not so good for long term...

draining your tank, then idle until it dies.... works everytime... with no time restrictions... for fuel bowl is empty and cannot gunk up.

Last edited:
hey baldman,
thanks for the tip. never heard of this stuff, but decided to give it a try. just bought a six pack of it on ebay. we'll see how it goes.

thanks again,
pat.

Let me know if it works for you like it has us.
:cheers:

046, the ATV wouldn't run unless you started it with throttle wide open and didn't take your thumb off. She hadn't ridden in over a year or so and I neglected the fuel.

After running this Sea Foam through it, runs like a champ!

I loaned out the snow thrower to my old man...he sputtered and quit just like the atv (notice a pattern here?), he ran sta-bil through that and some other crap. I was going to take it in to get worked on and cleaned up for him until the my friend made me run the Sea Foam through it... again, running like new!

:clap:

Does it have a fuel filter?

I bought several small engines lately which do not come with fuel filters.

So that's the first thing I do, install a fuel filter...

Brand new Huskee 28ton with Honda engine.
Bought it in 03/2008.
Worked great the first year.
Stored it for the summer of 2009. Used Sta-Bil in the gas for storage.
Took it out yesterday for the first time and would not start.
If I spray gas into the carb it fires right up and runs absolutely perfectly for a second then dies. It will not stay running.
I drained the gas and put fresh gas in there... nothing.
I made sure gas is flowing to the carb by taking the fuel lines off and verifying flow... nothing.
Why won't this Honda piece of crap run?
Again, this engine is so brand new it is still shiny and perfect in every way.
The only thing I have not done is take the damn carb right off the engine and take it all apart.
I should not have to do this with a brand new engine.
Anybody else have problems with these junk Honda's?
I could understand if I did not store it right but what the heck?

Very frustrating when you are all ready to split and spend 4 hours working on a brand new splitter that should work.
This sucks.

You've got a lot of balls calling a brand new Honda a piece of crap and a piece of junk, when you can't even manage to store a small engine properly.
Your'e lucky we are an understanding bunch!:givebeer:

046, the ATV wouldn't run unless you started it with throttle wide open and didn't take your thumb off. She hadn't ridden in over a year or so and I neglected the fuel.

After running this Sea Foam through it, runs like a champ!

I loaned out the snow thrower to my old man...he sputtered and quit just like the atv (notice a pattern here?), he ran sta-bil through that and some other crap. I was going to take it in to get worked on and cleaned up for him until the my friend made me run the Sea Foam through it... again, running like new!

:clap:

I have had the same results with sea foam ! great stuff !
MD

You've got a lot of balls calling a brand new Honda a piece of crap and a piece of junk, when you can't even manage to store a small engine properly.
Your'e lucky we are an understanding bunch!:givebeer:

My apologies Booshcat. Did not mean to offend.

I am so NOT looking forward to getting ethanol in the UK fuel. I have a Honda GX powered lawn rake that hadn't been used for several years. Switch on, choke, med throttle, started first pull. Honda are damn good engines - the Honda clones (Loncin?) are a pile of junk, and they look just like Hondas. Honda GX is now my standard. If a machine hasn't got one, I don't buy it. Stihl is the only exception.... :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back