Trouble shooting a splitter motor problem.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has an electric kill switch. The throttle has nothing to do with shutting the unit down.
One reason I brought it up is I've worked on a lot of small engines that had a kill switch built into the throttle as well as a separate one... They were actually wired together but either one alone could ground out the electrical system to kill the engine.

Been running fine since I let some of the oil out. Ran it for 2 hours yesterday with no issues.
Like I said I checked everything before I posted. Thanks for the help but it seems somre of you posted without reading the whole thread.
Welcome to AS comprehension isn't a lot of folks strong suit.

I've seen them oil sensors become erratic, operate ok then go on a intermittent shutdown.

Seeing the oil level too high gives me a heads up that it may be thinned out/contaminated with gas which will upset the viscosity of the oil and the float level on some eq.

If it starts acting up again I would disconnect the oil level sensor wire, make a test run and if ok then order a replacement switch. Lots of my equipment does not even have a oil level sensor and I always check the oil level each time I re-fuel a small 4 cycle engine with gas. I trust doing this visual more than I put trust a low oil level sensor for protecting the engine.

A name, model and type number from the engine would be helpful so as to give more detailed troubleshooting info.

I've seen them oil sensors become erratic, operate ok then go on a intermittent shutdown.

Seeing the oil level too high gives me a heads up that it may be thinned out/contaminated with gas which will upset the viscosity of the oil and the float level on some eq.

If it starts acting up again I would disconnect the oil level sensor wire, make a test run and if ok then order a replacement switch. Lots of my equipment does not even have a oil level sensor and I always check the oil level each time I re-fuel a small 4 cycle engine with gas. I trust doing this visual more than I put trust a low oil level sensor for protecting the engine.

A name, model and type number from the engine would be helpful so as to give more detailed troubleshooting info.
Plus 1 ,a lot of mine have been disconnected due to issues.

Not sure if you figured this out yet... but when something does exactly what you described, the first things I would look at, are the gas cap &/or gas tank vent valve is not venting the tank properly. Or sometimes I have seen ignition coils act wonky, where they will work when the engine is cold. But after it runs and starts to build up some heat, the coil will die.
Hope this helps. Happy new year.

my 30 ton started doing it again. i drained the fuel, not it.
i disconnected the oil sensor, not it.
i unhooked the other plug and play at the oil sensor, which is the kill switch. still nothing. then i rehooked the black and the green coming from the carborator switch. and it runs now. it s a short in the black or green wire. it wont shut off , with the normal bottom lever. but shuts off when you use the choke switch.

something else for you to watch.

Back