2nd growth fir

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean that aging these trees has put them at near turn of the century growth. Trees that old are the ones that were planted after the original, "old growth" were logged back then. These are the "second growth" of trees in this stand. Many of the stands around here that you see actually have signs in front of them along the road giving dates of each harvest, and most stands are 3rd 4th and now even into 5th growth. That's why I mentioned that they were such nice trees-tall straight, and very tight grained.

Jeff

When you cut a tree like that, what is it usually used for - flooring, lumber, fire wood, pulp?

What's a tree like that worth?

fishhuntcutwood said:
I mean that aging these trees has put them at near turn of the century growth. Trees that old are the ones that were planted after the original, "old growth" were logged back then. These are the "second growth" of trees in this stand.

Jeff

Hia Jeff,

Trees that grow after the turn of the century can only be 4 years old :p So if you have trees that size in 5 years you are sitting on a goldmine :blob2:

Dumb me called Ronald :angel:

JamesTX said:
When you cut a tree like that, what is it usually used for - flooring, lumber, fire wood, pulp?

What's a tree like that worth?

Typically, lumber. I'm not entirely familiar with them, but there's building codes that call for fir over pine. Certain door frames, where there's a load bearing consideration, fir is used. That'd be the primary use. Smaller trees, or lower grade may find their way into pulp. As far as burning, fir burns well enough. For us out here on the West coast, with no oak or much maple to burn, fir is about as good as we can ask for, besides madrona.

As far as value, it's really tough to break it down to price per tree. They get sold as a truckload, and the wood has to be graded and evaluated. Price can be based on per truckload, or on a larger, multi-load contract.

Jeff

Thanks. I don't see trees like those out here in Texas. Pines are the tallest I ever see in my area.

I've never heard of codes that call for different wood in different areas of a house. As I watch them put up houses around me, they use the same pine studs everywhere.

JamesTX said:
I've never heard of codes that call for different wood in different areas of a house. As I watch them put up houses around me, they use the same pine studs everywhere.

I talked to a friend of mine yesterday who's worked construction, and we were talking about this thread. He said that it has to do with the classification of the wood in construction roles. I worded that wrong in my post-the code doesn't specifically call for fir, he said you could use any wood that meets that classification, but fir is cheaper than using oak or hickory in a building. I'll see him tonight at work, and I'll ask him to clarify, and get back to you on that.

Jeff

Those look like nice trees, probably pretty good value to them. They just finished hauling logs off my place and I can tell you the values on fir Range. High of about $750 per Thousand board feet for export logs down to around $550-$600 for lower grade domestic logs. There was a mill paying us $710 for Domestic logs under 22" All of them going for lumber.

fishhuntcutwood said:
I talked to a friend of mine yesterday who's worked construction, and we were talking about this thread. He said that it has to do with the classification of the wood in construction roles. I worded that wrong in my post-the code doesn't specifically call for fir, he said you could use any wood that meets that classification, but fir is cheaper than using oak or hickory in a building. I'll see him tonight at work, and I'll ask him to clarify, and get back to you on that.

Jeff

I wasn't questioning the correctness of your statement...just wondering about the differences between Texas and Washington.+

Thanks.
James

Alright James, I couldn't wait until I got to work, so I called my buddy up. And he can't give me any specific code numbers or anything like that, but pretty much just the same thing I mentioned earlier-there's certain construction applications that call for a wood or material with a set standard of load bearing strength. Long span floor joists, (http://www.mcvicker.com/resguide/page013b.htm) ceiling beams, some door frames etc. Like I said, you could use oak, but Doug fir is preferred and cheaper. And it has to be Doug fir, not white, Pac. Silver, grand or noble. Douglas fir. He told me about a guy he knew who had a house built with a single 40' or 50' beam across the main room. He had to have a building inspector come out and confirm that it was in fact Doug fir, and sign off on the plans. Doug fir met the criteria for that specific application. And he confirmed what you said about it being regional. He said it can even be a county requirement in some places.

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
You got me there! Good one. Maybe I should have been more specific... :p

Jeff

Its funny indeed. I am doing a tree inventory at the moment for a county. When asking private owners about the age of theire tree the oldies say 'i am sure that my grandpa planted it around the turn of the century'. I reply, wow thats a fast growing tree with 5 years....it looks more a 100year old tree to me. To bad there a so few old trees here at the coast. most are from >1950's

rgrds Ronald

056 kid said:
Ever get to cut any old growth around there?

Nope. Most of that is up in the Park. And to be honest, I'd just as soon see trees that old and magnificent stay standing. Not that I'm against someone legally taking one that's not protected, that's their job, but they're getting rarer and rarer. We can grow 100 year old trees and cut them down again. But growing a tree to beyond that level and age takes nature, and is beyond the scope of man. Trees are a resource, but they can also be a treasure.

Just my thoughts.

Jeff

I agree with Fishhuntcutwood about the old growth, just something about still being able to walk through some of thsoe old stands, not many around anymore. I have nothing against cutting trees I just happen to enjoy those majestic old trees while standing.

Back