3/4" long pull line?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flushcut

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am in the market for a DB 3/4" 600' bull line with a min. breaking strength of 20,000lb for pulling big wood. I was wondering if there are any good reasonably priced lines out there? I know about Amsteel, and all the lines that Wesspur, Baileys, and Sherrill carry but is there another line that would be better/cheaper/less elongation than the ones listed above. Amsteel is just to expensive for me and not very knot friendly. If you guys know of something I am all ears. Thanks :cheers:

3/4" Stable braid by Sampson. Tougher than amsteel, not nearly as light or strong, more stretch. http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?ind=19&app=21&rope=165&inst=1

Sometimes you need a little stretch, anyway. Yeah, I know. You know about Stable Braid.

3/4" Tenex-TEC: Not generally found in the tree equipment sites, this has a looser weave and more weight per foot than standard Tenex. Really tough, considerably stronger than Stable braid. (I do not know which is really tougher to abrasion, Tenex or Stable Braid?) Tenex has a much looser braid then Stable Braid, so it is a piece of cake to splice. http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?rope=173

If I was dragging 600 feet of rope through rough conditions and heavy loads, I would prefer Tenex. You know you are going to break it, so you might as well be able to fix it easily.

Of course, Amsteel is easily spliced also, and pays for itself by being one half the weight of comparable strength ropes. 600 feet of rope is quite a bit of weight...

Last edited:
You know I never really thought about using Tenex. I am planning on using it to pull trees with the truck and I need the length to build a 2-1 advantage. Thanks.

If I was dragging 600 feet of rope through rough conditions and heavy loads, I would prefer Tenex. You know you are going to break it, so you might as well be able to fix it easily.

OUCH! No way! The reason Tenex is so easy to splice is due to it's loose construction. Just imagine all those individual strands getting picked by rocks, stumps, roots & other debris. You would have snarled Tenex all through the forest. :)

I only use Tenex to anchor my port-a -wrap.

It's not any looser than Amsteel, and that is the runaway favorite for long runs of rope. Of course, that might just be because it is so light.

Shucks. Anybody pulling 600' of rope with a 20k load isn't worried about little snags. When the load pulls that tight, the rope won't snag on anything but a metal spike. Loose, dragging by hand...who knows?

I looked into the husky III line and it has to much elongation for my taste. I have been searching flee bay and came across a double braid polyester composite line for pulling cables and has a average breaking strength of 26,000lbs with eyes spliced on both ends. Anyone on here use something like this before?:cheers:

Some elongation is a good thing in tree work. I personally think that a super low elongation rope is more apt to failure under load, especially if shocked. Just my opinion.

Some elongation is a good thing in tree work. I personally think that a super low elongation rope is more apt to failure under load, especially if shocked. Just my opinion.

I get what you are saying, but the rope is intended to be a pull line with a truck so no shock loading just nice steady pull. :cheers:

I am pulling some oaks in my firewood area. They are in the 30" by 110' range old growth around 300 or so old. I need the length so I can get on good pavement for traction and rig a two to one or better in the ones that I have to climb.

I don't know you or your experience but, unless those trees were heavily back leaned I don't know why you couldn't go with a smaller rope. If you got them tied off 70 or 80' up and put a 3-1 on them I'm sure a 600' 1/2 rope would more than do it. two guys pulling. Thats 600 lbs of force 70' up. 42,000 ft/lbs, Thats a lot of leverage. A big shot may be required. Go 9/16" if you like. I've pulled over locusts that were 30" diameter, with the rope 65' up and two guys pulling on a 3-1. The trees were 10 degrees backleaned. But like I said I'm not there, Be safe......

Mike

Last edited:
I don't know you or your experience but, unless those trees were heavily back leaned I don't know why you couldn't go with a smaller rope. If you got them tied off 70 or 80' up and put a 3-1 on them I'm sure a 600' 1/2 rope would more than do it. two guys pulling. Thats 600 lbs of force 70' up. 42,000 ft/lbs, Thats a lot of leverage. A big shot may be required. Go 9/16" if you like. I've pulled over locusts that were 30" diameter, with the rope 65' up and two guys pulling on a 3-1. The trees were 10 degrees backleaned. But like I said I'm not there, Be safe......

Mike

I get all the mechanics of it and have been doing this for 10 years or so. I would like to go with a 3/4" just for overkill I would rather be way over strength wise than near the limit. :cheers: Yes some of them have a very heavy lean and I can get next to perfect pull angles as they are in a valley.

I get all the mechanics of it and have been doing this for 10 years or so. I would like to go with a 3/4" just for overkill I would rather be way over strength wise than near the limit. :cheers: Yes some of them have a very heavy lean and I can get next to perfect pull angles as they are in a valley.

Ok, Overkill is always good. I have 150' of 3/4" stable braid for blocking down big trees. Its a nice rope, Just heavy. I've used it off spurs and I couldn't wait to be done with it. I bet they will make one hell of a sound when they crash in the woods. Take care!

Mike

Back