3/8LP chain conundrum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have found what seems to me to be conflicting information on 3/8LP chain. Is this style chain truly .375 pitch or is it .365? Also, will the Husky 141 drive sprocket spin a true 3/8 chain? Seems to me I've had both factory Husky and "dealer generic" Oregon chains on the saw with no trouble. What's the story? I need a new bar on the saw, but I want to match the power, and my existing chains...

Both the regular and lo-pro 3/8" chains really have a .367 pitch.

.375 just is another way to say 3/8, and .365 is a number that some :monkey: are using to distinguish the lo-pro, and confuse people.

The sprockets are different, as the drivers have a different shape, and engage the sprockets on a different hight, not because the pitch is different.

Btw, as far as I know, .325 chain isn't .325 either, more like .313 or so......

Last edited:
OK, so what drive sprocket do I want to put on the 141 to run regular 3/8? Is there another Husky saw that shares the outboard clutch/spur drive that fits the 141 that I could swap out?

Shame more companies don't make pro bars in the little Husky mount.

Ahhh, okay, now I get it.... PES+, you're correct. I have a couple chains sitting here and I see the difference...

I guess my question evolves, then. Will the fact that this saw runs 3/8LP make a difference in the nose sprockets available to me?

Both the regular and lo-pro 3/8" chains really have a .367 pitch. ......... Btw, as far as I know, .325 chain isn't .325 either, more like .313 or so......

Correct
Regular and lo-pro chains are both .367" pitch.

However, .325 pitch chain is .325" pitch. I have the blueprint in front of me.

Oregon Engineer

Both the regular and lo-pro 3/8" chains really have a .367 pitch.

.375 just is another way to say 3/8, and .365 is a number that some :monkey: are using to distinguish the lo-pro, and confuse people.

The sprockets are different, as the drivers have a different shape, and engage the sprockets on a different hight, not because the pitch is different.

Btw, as far as I know, .325 chain isn't .325 either, more like .313 or so......

But you can run 3/8 LP on a 3/8" rim sprocket...according to Oregon

Maybe, I never tried, but the lo-pro rims have a larger outer diameter......

There was a tread about it, not too long ago.

Oregon Engeneer need to step in again.....................

Last edited:

I recently came into some 3/8 LP chain by accident and tried to throw a loop on my Super EZ with its regular 3/8" spur sprocket. It worked just fine to spin the chain.

The bar, however, is too wide so I need to come up with a narrow-kerf bar for it.

Ahhh, okay, now I get it.... PES+, you're correct. I have a couple chains sitting here and I see the difference...

I guess my question evolves, then. Will the fact that this saw runs 3/8LP make a difference in the nose sprockets available to me?

Strangely enough, I'm not sure I've ever SEEN Pest+ be wrong...... he's like some kind of infallible chainsaw super-computer.

I recently came into some 3/8 LP chain by accident and tried to throw a loop on my Super EZ with its regular 3/8" spur sprocket. It worked just fine to spin the chain.

The bar, however, is too wide so I need to come up with a narrow-kerf bar for it.

Unless you picked up a loop of narrow kerf (.043 gauge) 3/8" LP chain, you don't want an NK bar.

Oregon Engeneer need to step in again.....................

OK, I'll try to throw some light on this. Clearly I am discussing our products only.

3/8 Pro chain (e.g. 72LG) and 3/8 lo-pro (e.g. 91VG) do not have the same chassis, but they do have the same pitch. Bars with nose sprockets are designed for one or the other, the nose sprocket design is specific to each.
The rim sprockets are designed for 3/8 pro chain, not 3/8 lo-pro. Saw manufacturers design a spur sprocket system into the saws that are setup for 3/8 lo-pro. The bars that fit up on the consumer saws are made with the nose sprockets for the 91 chain.

So, putting compatible bars, chains and sprockets together is the way the system is designed. That is the way we recommend you run it.

We do not recommend that you assemble a system with a 91 chain, a pro bar and a rim sprocket, or some other odd combination of 50 gauge components.

I hope that helps.
Oregon Engineer

OK, I'll try to throw some light on this. Clearly I am discussing our products only.

3/8 Pro chain (e.g. 72LG) and 3/8 lo-pro (e.g. 91VG) do not have the same chassis, but they do have the same pitch. Bars with nose sprockets are designed for one or the other, the nose sprocket design is specific to each.
The rim sprockets are designed for 3/8 pro chain, not 3/8 lo-pro. Saw manufacturers design a spur sprocket system into the saws that are setup for 3/8 lo-pro. The bars that fit up on the consumer saws are made with the nose sprockets for the 91 chain.

So, putting compatible bars, chains and sprockets together is the way the system is designed. That is the way we recommend you run it.

We do not recommend that you assemble a system with a 91 chain, a pro bar and a rim sprocket, or some other odd combination of 50 gauge components.

I hope that helps.
Oregon Engineer

That explains why the MS660 Logosol comes with a spur sprocket, but not why others have 3/8" lo-pro rims, that are larger diameter than the regular ones....

I hope that helps.
Oregon Engineer

Oregon Engineer, thanks for replying. So a 3/8 rim should not be used with 91 chain, yet on the Oregon Selector Guide the other day I was looking up something, it listed 91 chain as the only chain options, 91 bars as the only bar options, and 38010 (rim system) for the sprocket, with 18720 replacement rims.
It can get confusing sometimes.

Oregon Engineer, thanks for replying. So a 3/8 rim should not be used with 91 chain, yet on the Oregon Selector Guide the other day I was looking up something, it listed 91 chain as the only chain options, 91 bars as the only bar options, and 38010 (rim system) for the sprocket, with 18720 replacement rims.
It can get confusing sometimes.

OK, I know of at least two places in our application guide where we either mistakenly list a 91 chain with a 18720 sprocket, or shouldn't have.
You must be looking at our web page selector guide. That has been getting some overdue maintenance too.
My app guide book shows a 38010 as a 3/8-7 system for a Homelite 240, 245.
If I go to the Homelite 240, 245 listing it shows a 325-7 rim system 38003 as the system of choice.
We have literally thousands of different scenarios we try to keep track of. I apologize for any slips that exist. We can try to clear them up if you notify our service center. They collect changes to the verbiage that needs to be flagged.

What I have given you is the design guidelines we follow.
I hope that helps.
Oregon Engineer

OK, I know of at least two places in our application guide where we either mistakenly list a 91 chain with a 18720 sprocket, or shouldn't have.
You must be looking at our web page selector guide. That has been getting some overdue maintenance too.
My app guide book shows a 38010 as a 3/8-7 system for a Homelite 240, 245.
If I go to the Homelite 240, 245 listing it shows a 325-7 rim system 38003 as the system of choice.
We have literally thousands of different scenarios we try to keep track of. I apologize for any slips that exist. We can try to clear them up if you notify our service center. They collect changes to the verbiage that needs to be flagged.

What I have given you is the design guidelines we follow.
I hope that helps.
Oregon Engineer

Yep, it was for a 240 that I was checking. Thanks.

You see, that's why I love this place. Thanks Oregon Engineer, you told me everything that I needed to know. I am much obliged to you.

Back