3/8LP chain conundrum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I'll try to throw some light on this. Clearly I am discussing our products only.

3/8 Pro chain (e.g. 72LG) and 3/8 lo-pro (e.g. 91VG) do not have the same chassis, but they do have the same pitch. Bars with nose sprockets are designed for one or the other, the nose sprocket design is specific to each.
The rim sprockets are designed for 3/8 pro chain, not 3/8 lo-pro. Saw manufacturers design a spur sprocket system into the saws that are setup for 3/8 lo-pro. The bars that fit up on the consumer saws are made with the nose sprockets for the 91 chain.

So, putting compatible bars, chains and sprockets together is the way the system is designed. That is the way we recommend you run it.

We do not recommend that you assemble a system with a 91 chain, a pro bar and a rim sprocket, or some other odd combination of 50 gauge components.

I hope that helps.
Oregon Engineer

It does - and no surprices really - but 3/8" lo-pro rims do exist, but I don't know who makes them.

Another thought - Oregon and Stihl rims look exactly the same (texture on the surface etc), except for the brand name - who really makes them - is it Oregon, or a third party? :confused:

Back