.325 Sharpener ok to use on 3/8?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgb2504

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a .325 stihl all in one sharpener (you can’t just swap out the file which is a drag) and a new saw that runs 3/8 chain. Since the file is just ever so slightly smaller than the cutter would I be okay using the sharpener? It was never going to be machine perfect with me doing it anyway. Just sucks because the thing cost $50

Figured as much. Guess I’ll freecycle the file. Chainsaws were a lot more fun when parks and Rec was paying for them.
Actually I might be able to fix a stihl that runs 3/8 so I’ll hang onto it. Thanks.

Hang on to it if you like chainsaws.

.325 is a common pitch for smaller saws (it's the chain in between 3/8 low profile and regular 3/8).

Here's Oregon's list of file sizes to chain pitches for their chains. It's 5 sizes (though 4.5mm and 3/16 are about 0.010" away from being the same size).

SmartSelect_20210311-203716_Drive.jpg

Guess I’ll freecycle the file.
Those are pretty popular sharpeners, but as you note, not inexpensive. You could post it on a local CraigsList, and get some of your money back, if you wanted, or put that toward a new model.

Or, especially if you hang around this site long enough, you will soon have multiple chainsaws, including some that run .325 pitch chain!

Philbert

Those are pretty popular sharpeners, but as you note, not inexpensive. You could post it on a local CraigsList, and get some of your money back, if you wanted, or put that toward a new model.

Or, especially if you hang around this site long enough, you will soon have multiple chainsaws, including some that run .325 pitch chain!

Philbert
I actually just got rid of a 450 rancher. I had a shop tell me twice that nothing was wrong with it, and then every time I’d use it the chain would come off. No matter how I tightened it and adjusted the tension. Next one’s a Stihl. I’ll admit I got a Dewalt 60 volt but hey if it works it works.

I actually just got rid of a 450 rancher. I had a shop tell me twice that nothing was wrong with it, and then every time I’d use it the chain would come off. No matter how I tightened it and adjusted the tension. Next one’s a Stihl. I’ll admit I got a Dewalt 60 volt but hey if it works it works.
Did the 450 have the toolless chain adjuster? I like those, SAID NOBODY EVER!

No but it had the one bar nut and it was ridiculous, tighten... tension the chain to perfectly seated... chain flies off after two cuts. Never once had it happen with a stihl.

I’ll admit I got a Dewalt 60 volt but hey if it works it works.
Nothing to be ashamed of. I am a big fan of battery-powered chainsaws, and if you root around this forum, you will see that I have a few, as well as some battery-powered pole saws. And corded electrics. And . . . (well, that is why I also like to collect different types of sharpeners too!).

Philbert

Latest posts

Back